Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

On 4/6/2023 at 8:47 PM, packfanfb said:

Go watch the Rose Bowl against Utah when he dropped 347. He was the best player on the field that day and just about every other day, which included Olave and Wilson...two guys who just proved how good they are as NFL rookies. 

I'm seriously trying to figure out if some of you are just maybe misspelling JSN's name and you're watching someone else's highlights because if you can't see the "it" factor with him, there's no saving you. He's going to be a star. 

I will put my name down for JSN being a disappontment from this class. No elite traits other than RB quality initial burst. Injured 2022. He’s too average physically to play outside. He tests the way the tape looks—like a day 2 slot WR that can move the chains. 

His highlights stink by the way. They are riddled with some of the worst defense you’ll find. Minnesota, Oregon, Tulsa, Akron, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Penn St, Nebraska, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St, Utah. Even the Utah game isn’t filled with him making plays versus defenses just flat out being terrible.

Out of fear of sounding purely against him I will point out his route running sets up some nice double moves to get deeper than being only found before the chains. When he is found at the chains, the top of his routes are chefs kiss.

I just don’t see him winning with physicality or speed against pro corners more than irregularly. Can’t sink a first rounder into a role player.

This was a fair scouting report on JSN, I think. He's a mid-late 1st guy probably. A+ slot prospect. But feel like we might not value that spot as much as other teams. But could turn into a versatile threat if it clicks for him. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/2023-nfl-draft-scouting-report-ohio-state-wr-jaxon-smith-njigba-chicago-bears-205585270/

34 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

There's just no world where he's not an impactful wideout. He's great at all the small stuff that makes guys All-Pros and he's got elite COD skills. 

Love this disagreement! Can’t wait to see how it unfolds! I’ll give you credit if you’re right but I expect credit if he doesn’t pan out.

No one seems to really have balls to pick the players that will bust. Happy to make a stand.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This was a fair scouting report on JSN, I think. He's a mid-late 1st guy probably. A+ slot prospect. But feel like we might not value that spot as much as other teams. But could turn into a versatile threat if it clicks for him. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/2023-nfl-draft-scouting-report-ohio-state-wr-jaxon-smith-njigba-chicago-bears-205585270/

Lance Zierlein's quote is immediately wrong lol. "Lacks the shake to separate underneath" is just comically wrong. He's an guaranteed slot prospect with the route running and agility to win on the outside while having an insane understanding of where he's at on the field. 

I mean, he does things you can't teach. I get that he's not a burner but this underselling on him because he ran a 4.48 and not a 4.35 is just mindboggling. 

Justin Jefferson ran 98% of his routes out of the slot at LSU, JSN ran 88% at Ohio State. We did this song and dance (not you and me but me and...well...the entire forum) on Jefferson not being a slot only guy. JSN isn't a slot only guy either. The route running, the sideline awareness, the ball tracking, the footwork. Nothing about him screams slot only. 

8 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Love this disagreement! Can’t wait to see how it unfolds! I’ll give you credit if you’re right but I expect credit if he doesn’t pan out.

No one seems to really have balls to pick the players that will bust. Happy to make a stand.

Depends on whether or not the goalposts move. What's your idea of JSN busting? 

25 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yea, I mean I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse on JSN. I'll leave it with saying I think he's one of the best players in this draft and by far and away the best WR. In terms of his fluidity, savy, route running and understanding the nuances of playing WR, I think he's only rivaled by Jefferson in terms of WRs to come out over the last 5 years. In fact, they are virtually the same player except JJ has a tad better deep speed, something I don't really care about because we have Watson for that. Moreover, when evaluating WRs, I tend to listen to ex-WRs' opinions the most because they've been there and understand the position. Greg Jennings and Steve Smith have both commented on the same skills JSN has that separate him from the pack. 

To me, he's the no brainer pick if you have a shot at him, especially for a young QB like Love. He has so many traits you can't teach to 75% of the WRs around him. Traits that make the Adams' and Diggs' of the NFL. 

All this being said, I would fully expect and anticipate that he may not be Gute's guy because of Gute's trend to avoid round 1 WRs and his desire for crazy-athletes in round 1. I wouldn't agree it, but obviously my opinion doesn't matter at the end of the day. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea, I mean I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse on JSN. I'll leave it with saying I think he's one of the best players in this draft and by far and away the best WR. In terms of his fluidity, savy, route running and understanding the nuances of playing WR, I think he's only rivaled by Jefferson in terms of WRs to come out over the last 5 years. In fact, they are virtually the same player except JJ has a tad better deep speed, something I don't really care about because we have Watson for that. Moreover, when evaluating WRs, I tend to listen to ex-WRs' opinions the most because they've been there and understand the position. Greg Jennings and Steve Smith have both commented on the same skills JSN has that separate him from the pack. 

To me, he's the no brainer pick if you have a shot at him, especially for a young QB like Love. He has has so many traits you can't teach to 75% of the WRs around him. Traits that make the Adams' and Diggs' of the NFL. 

All this being said, I would fully expect and anticipate that he may not be Gute's guy because of Gute's trend to avoid round 1 WRs and his desire for crazy-athletes in round 1. I wouldn't agree it, but obviously my opinion doesn't matter at the end of the day. 

Well said. I too should probably sit out any further JSN conversation. My stance is known and all I'd be doing is regurgitating any previous exchange. You can only say things so many ways. I hope he's our guy but I also know that my power to talk things into existence is only so strong (I've got a better track record, all sports wise, than I'd care to admit on that front ha).

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Well said. I too should probably sit out any further JSN conversation. My stance is known and all I'd be doing is regurgitating any previous exchange. You can only say things so many ways. I hope he's our guy but I also know that my power to talk things into existence is only so strong (I've got a better track record, all sports wise, than I'd care to admit on that front ha).

I watch little to no college ball so appreciate the discussion of guys here. Based on the little I watched and you and others pounding the table for him, he looks like he’s got real star potential beyond being a high RAS guy. If he’s that good, he’s likely the first WR off the board which means I’d be surprised to see him make the middle of the round. Obviously there are other pass catchers who can help us in later rounds but if the strongest we prospect in the draft makes it to our pick, you’d better take a very good player as an alternative.

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

My reaction though when Gute gets no. 13 from the Jets and takes Bresee with JSN still on the board:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I watch little to no college ball so appreciate the discussion of guys here. Based on the little I watched and you and others pounding the table for him, he looks like he’s got real star potential beyond being a high RAS guy. If he’s that good, he’s likely the first WR off the board which means I’d be surprised to see him make the middle of the round. Obviously there are other pass catchers who can help us in later rounds but if the strongest we prospect in the draft makes it to our pick, you’d better take a very good player as an alternative.

If he ran a 4.3 40, people would be over the moon about the kid. I fell in love with him, in real time, watching him in 2021 every Saturday. Just the small stuff that he does on a consistent basis, for me, means he's going to be a highly successful pro. The football IQ, the route running, the ball tracking, the hands (tho he does suffer from concentration drops at times), the YAC ability. The only thing he's missing is the home run highlights that people die for during the draft process. That's just not who he is. He's literally the perfect partner for Watson's skillset and he'll be Love's best friend from day 1. 

I get, during the draft process, you want to dream on physical tools. I understand that, especially as a fan of other sports. However, as a result, the small stuff gets overlooked far too much. A WR with his route running, his COD skills, his body manipulation, his ball tracking is just someone that I'm going to pound the table for regardless of whether or not he tests off the charts. You can't teach the nuances. You either get it or you don't. JSN gets it in spades. 

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

My reaction though when Gute gets no. 13 from the Jets and takes Bresee with JSN still on the board:

I just don't see JSN getting past 12. Houston is going to need a target for Young/Stroud and having someone as refined as JSN and ready to step in on day one is going to be too much to pass up on, especially if it's Stroud.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

JSN doesn't turn 22 until February as well. The fact that he's that advanced on the nuances of the game at that age just screams star. 

This is a good point, too. He is really young. And I do like his skillset. I just think he's going to shine somewhere else. I just definitely wouldn't have come away with him as my #1 WR prospect in this draft. I like QJ, Hyatt and Flowers more than him so far.

Just now, incognito_man said:

This is a good point, too. He is really young. And I do like his skillset. I just think he's going to shine somewhere else. I just definitely wouldn't have come away with him as my #1 WR prospect in this draft. I like QJ, Hyatt and Flowers more than him so far.

Hyatt is an enigma. Convince me he's not Troy Williamson. JSN laps Hyatt in terms of being a WR right now. Flowers is fun as ****. I'll give you that. Johnston...I just don't get the hype. 

JSN for me laps the field as WR1. 

• Like 1