Bijan Robinson--Becoming An Option With Our Second First Round Pick?

Just Want A Title

I don't see how the Lions can count on D'Andre Swift for anything going forward.  Jamal Williams is solid but not getting any younger.  We might need to add multiple RBs in the off-season.  Bijan Robinson had a great season last year and is looking even better this year.  Would you consider him with our second first round pick?  RBs have a notoriously short shelf-life in the NFL these days.  At what spot would you consider pulling the trigger with him?  Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Our Rams first is looking like a top 15 pick. No way I take any RB there. I don't even currently have a first rd grade on Robinson. 

I have seen him pop up in a couple of first round mocks.  His stats are pretty impressive:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/bijan-robinson-1.html

He definitely will go in the first.  Of the top 30 all time rushers, like 25 of them are first round picks.  Some just have the game changing talent and are worth it. He is top 10 on most peoples prospect rankings, mine included but that doesnt mean I would take him in the top 10.  I would consider it when we see where we end up picking abut not likely top 20 and even then it would depend on who else is available.  

10 hours ago, cp0k2 said:

I don't see Robinson slipping past Buffalo towards the end of the first round, if he makes it that far. I would actually prefer the Lions get Jahmyr Gibbs; he has a very versatile and electrifying skill set similar to Swift.

I'd rather a Jonathan Taylor type than D'Andre Swift. Gibbs is 5'11, 200 lbs. Swift is 5'8, 208 lbs (according to NFL.com). You're going to have trouble being an effective rusher, gaining tough yards and staying healthy at 200 lbs. Having a guy that is capable of converting on short yards, explosive rushes and can catch out of the backfield is going to allow us to stop telegraphing plays. Swift is also under contract next year, so if anything, adding a guy like Robinson takes over the Jamaal role if he doesn't re-sign (Williams is a UFA after this season). 

I do think they should take a RB with one of those fist four picks. No way I'd do it in the top 15.

Having a good running game going forward doesn't depend on getting a star back. They've proved that this year. They just need a number of guys who are all good enough. They will have a crack at a good one with either of the second-rounders.

If the Rams somehow get their **** together, and the pick ends up below #20, I wouldn't rule it out if they really love him, I guess

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

I do think they should take a RB with one of those fist four picks. No way I'd do it in the top 15.

Having a good running game going forward doesn't depend on getting a star back. They've proved that this year. They just need a number of guys who are all good enough. They will have a crack at a good one with either of the second-rounders.

If the Rams somehow get their **** together, and the pick ends up below #20, I wouldn't rule it out if they really love him, I guess

56 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Drafting Bijian, assuming that he's Barkley 2.0 (talent wise), in the late teens to 20's would give us 5 years on his contract. The probability of success in multiple 1,000 yard rushing seasons increases dramatically. Having a strong run game is already a part of the team's intended identity and this would certainly solidify that. A pairing of Robinson and Swift for 2023 would be dynamic. This would also help a young QB in terms of their development*

It's evident that the team wants Swift to be better than he has been and I don't think they're really sold on him. I expect they'll look to move on from him if his contract demands are too high. 

Edited by Karnage84

5 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd rather a Jonathan Taylor type than D'Andre Swift. Gibbs is 5'11, 200 lbs. Swift is 5'8, 208 lbs (according to NFL.com). You're going to have trouble being an effective rusher, gaining tough yards and staying healthy at 200 lbs. Having a guy that is capable of converting on short yards, explosive rushes and can catch out of the backfield is going to allow us to stop telegraphing plays. Swift is also under contract next year, so if anything, adding a guy like Robinson takes over the Jamaal role if he doesn't re-sign (Williams is a UFA after this season). 

I'd rather not have a bell cow, I'd prefer the way modern NFL offenses are going. It's easy to find a bigger back to run between the tackles and get the tough yards ala Jamaal Williams via free agency or the later rounds of the draft. Then have a versatile back like Swift/Gibbs to get 12 touches a game from the backfield/slot/wherever and make some plays. And I certainly don't want to invest a first round pick on the position. And while Swift is under contract next season, he can't be relied upon and anything he gives is a bonus at this point; I'm not resigning him. As far as Robinson having Barkley level talent, I don't think he's on that level. But I also wouldn't want that at RB due to the high draft cost to get them and I see it as putting all your eggs in one basket. Jonathan Taylor is hurt and the Colts offense went to garbage. Saquon is healthy this year and balling out but the previous few years he's been hurt and the Giants offense turned to garbage. Spend your high picks on premium positions, not RBs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

I'd rather not have a bell cow, I'd prefer the way modern NFL offenses are going. It's easy to find a bigger back to run between the tackles and get the tough yards ala Jamaal Williams via free agency or the later rounds of the draft. Then have a versatile back like Swift/Gibbs to get 12 touches a game from the backfield/slot/wherever and make some plays. And I certainly don't want to invest a first round pick on the position. And while Swift is under contract next season, he can't be relied upon and anything he gives is a bonus at this point; I'm not resigning him. As far as Robinson having Barkley level talent, I don't think he's on that level. But I also wouldn't want that at RB due to the high draft cost to get them and I see it as putting all your eggs in one basket. Jonathan Taylor is hurt and the Colts offense went to garbage. Saquon is healthy this year and balling out but the previous few years he's been hurt and the Giants offense turned to garbage. Spend your high picks on premium positions, not RBs. 

There's a reason the 49ers traded what they did for CMC. There is value in having a running back like that. If you can have a guy that can play all 3 downs, you're not telegraphing your playcalls. When Jamaal is on the field, we're essentially telling the defense we're running the ball. When Swift is on the field, it increases the chances of a passing play. Having a guy that can run and catch forces the defense to play a bit more honest/base, which would allow our passing game to open up a bit. If the gameplan is to draft a CJ Stroud or another guy that you want to start in year 1 with our own pick, adding someone that can instantly contribute and take pressure off of that QB would be huge. 

As I said - we'd be pairing Robinson with Swift for 2023 with BR taking on the RB1 role singlehandedly in 2024. There are a number of guys who would fulfill that RB2/Swift (or Gibbs) role who are taken later in the draft. Theo Riddick is someone that we're familiar with as Lions fans while Tony Pollard was drafted in the 4th round with a similar background (and has vastly surpassed expectations). 

My biggest concern with Robinson would be whether he really truly is that "special" player. https://ninetynineyards.com/2022/09/23/bijan-robinson-scouting-report-everything-you-need-to-know/#:~:text=Over his career%2C he has,dash times%2C around 4.77s

If he's running in the high 4.5's, teams will absolutely be questioning his top end/breakaway speed and his ability to outrun some speedier defenders. If he's running in the 4.7's he's going to wind up dropping into the middle rounds. I'm not expecting him to run this bad but it at least brings up question marks. 

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

There's a reason the 49ers traded what they did for CMC. There is value in having a running back like that. If you can have a guy that can play all 3 downs, you're not telegraphing your playcalls. When Jamaal is on the field, we're essentially telling the defense we're running the ball. When Swift is on the field, it increases the chances of a passing play. Having a guy that can run and catch forces the defense to play a bit more honest/base, which would allow our passing game to open up a bit. If the gameplan is to draft a CJ Stroud or another guy that you want to start in year 1 with our own pick, adding someone that can instantly contribute and take pressure off of that QB would be huge. 

As I said - we'd be pairing Robinson with Swift for 2023 with BR taking on the RB1 role singlehandedly in 2024. There are a number of guys who would fulfill that RB2/Swift (or Gibbs) role who are taken later in the draft. Theo Riddick is someone that we're familiar with as Lions fans while Tony Pollard was drafted in the 4th round with a similar background (and has vastly surpassed expectations). 

My biggest concern with Robinson would be whether he really truly is that "special" player. https://ninetynineyards.com/2022/09/23/bijan-robinson-scouting-report-everything-you-need-to-know/#:~:text=Over his career%2C he has,dash times%2C around 4.77s

If he's running in the high 4.5's, teams will absolutely be questioning his top end/breakaway speed and his ability to outrun some speedier defenders. If he's running in the 4.7's he's going to wind up dropping into the middle rounds. I'm not expecting him to run this bad but it at least brings up question marks. 

The 49ers are in a Super Bowl window and have one of the most talented rosters and best defenses in the league, that's why they made the trade. And they also didn't give up a first round pick to do it. Detroit is nowhere near competing for the division, let alone the Super Bowl. The roster needs to be built up before quite a bit, especially on defense, before a luxury like a first round running back should even ne considered.

• Like 2