Zach Wilson

biggie.

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Probably. But people are also forgetting that he looked like he was headed toward total bust status himself until they changed their entire offensive philosophy and allowed him to run. He only has one game this year with over 200 passing yards.

I think you have to account for the situations the two of them were put in though, the Bears drafted Fields and threw him in way too early to try and save jobs in a terrible offense with no real coaching or consistency. With the Jets he'd have had continuity, structure, a plan, and wouldn't have been asked as a rookie to go out and win games and enforce bad habits.

• Like 1

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

I think you have to account for the situations the two of them were put in though, the Bears drafted Fields and threw him in way too early to try and save jobs in a terrible offense with no real coaching or consistency. With the Jets he'd have had continuity, structure, a plan, and wouldn't have been asked as a rookie to go out and win games and enforce bad habits.

Fields looked bad this season until they changed their offense to utilize his ability as a runner. Why wouldn't he have been asked to start as a rookie with limited weapons around him and an inexperienced coaching staff if he were on the Jets?

14 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Good for Booger. 

I disagree, all this stuff is background noise. He isn't good enough and has a bit of an attitude problem but you can't just say it's because he had money growing up. I (and presumably everyone) knows people who are responsible individuals and I also know people who aren't, parental wealth isn't a great indicator of that among those individuals.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

I'm surprised Jets fans are giving up on Wilson already.  He is from a small school and that means it will probably take some extra time for him to catch up.  The same was true of Josh Allen, and in his second year, he didn't look all that great either, from what I've heard.  Maybe I've been wrong in holding out hope that he will figure things out, but if you are the Jets, you hate having to move on so quickly from a #2 overall pick - especially when you whiffed on a #3 recently with Darnold too.

I've only watched one Jets game this year (this week's game vs. the Patriots).  Has Wilson been so bad that you are already wanting to move on?

The thing is, there is a difference between looking bad because you are rookie and looking bad because the game looks too big and too fast for you.

I liked Wilson as a prospect and I think there is a little bit of revisionist history in here about him.  Maybe he wasn't deserving of going in the top five, but he was worth taking in the 1st without question.  But I went and watched throws from his first 3 or 4 games last year and immediately I could tell he probably wasn't going to work out.  I forget the name of the thread but it had something to do with one of the rookies (Mac or Trevor).  It was just so obvious.  I think I went back and looked at the throws because people kept trying to blame his offensive line... but his offensive line was playing well, Wilson just played scared, he played like someone who did not belong at QB in the NFL.  Josh Allen might not have looked great, but it never seemed like the game was moving too fast for him. 

You want to avoid giving up on guys too fast, but you also gotta be real and honest with yourself as a team too.  And the way Wilson plays, there really isn't a lot to work with.  I hate to compare him to Clausen, but really, it was the same thing.  Where you watch the guy play and within 3 games you just know barring an unlikely turnaround, it just ain't gonna happen. Because they don't play the game right.  I'm not saying Wilson is scared, but that is how he plays in the pocket.  

I think the most surprising thing about Wilson to me is the accuracy though.  I really didn't think his accuracy was this poor at BYU but I was wrong, clearly.  He is just a mess as a quarterback and I just don't see how you can fix it.  And is it even worth trying to fix it, because at this point, how high can his upside even be?  At best you might make him average?  If you're lucky.

I think one thing too people have to remember... when guys suck this much, even as a rookie or 2nd year starter, it usually means they really do suck.  There are very few exceptions.  I'm not really sure I would count Josh Allen... he wasn't good his rookie year but you saw the toughness, he showed you he could hold his own in the NFL, and he scored 18 touchdowns in 12 games (11 starts) which isn't bad for a rookie.  Stafford had a sub 70 QB rating, but again you could watch him play and tell he belonged in the NFL.  Dude was tough, plus the Lions were beyond trash when he got there.  Odds really aren't on Wilson's side.  It ain't worth hanging on

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 3

I’m not sure Jimmy walks into any non-NFCS team as the bonafide starter, so if he’s willing to take a competitive role, the Jets are as good a team as any. Question will be if Douglas feels like ponying up for a QB competition for his pick in Year 3.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m not sure Jimmy walks into any non-NFCS team as the bonafide starter, so if he’s willing to take a competitive role, the Jets are as good a team as any. Question will be if Douglas feels like ponying up for a QB competition for his pick in Year 3.

Non-NFC South? 

Colts...Giants...Texans he would, but they'll have a shiny new QB. 

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Jimmy G is going to get paid this offseason and will be a starter somewhere next year. We've seen guys like Matt Ryan, Carson Wentz, and Sam Darnold handed starting roles in the last couple of years after teams willingly gave up draft capital to acquire them. Jimmy G is on pace for 4,000 yards/27 TD for a team that could potentially win the Super Bowl this year and has led his team to deep playoff runs every year that he has been the starter. 

The Jets clearly have reservations about Wilson already, they're considering benching him for Mike White or Joe Flacco in the midst of a potential playoff run.