Aaron Rodgers contract - An analysis

Packer_ESP

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Aaron Rodgers is drooling watching San Fran. 

Wonder if we could get a three-way where niners get Rodgers, some other team gets Lance and we get combined high draft picks.

I've lot a fair amount of thought into it. Something like:

SF receives Rodgers from GB

TEN receives Lance from SF

GB receives 2023 2nd and 4th round picks from Ten and a 2024 first round pick from SF.

I question which team says no.

14 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I've lot a fair amount of thought into it. Something like:

SF receives Rodgers from GB

TEN receives Lance from SF

GB receives 2023 2nd and 4th round picks from Ten and a 2024 first round pick from SF.

I question which team says no.

Why would SF give up on a QB who they selected 3rd overall for a 40 year old QB?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

Why would SF give up on a QB who they selected 3rd overall for a 40 year old QB?

Because the team is built to win a Super Bowl now.

Before his injury, Lance did not look ready to lead an NFL offense to a championship. With a lost year of development, that talented core will be gone by the time he is.

After another NFC championship loss this year they're going to be looking at Rodgers or Brady to push them over the edge. 

6 hours ago, Sandy said:

Before his injury, Lance did not look ready to lead an NFL offense to a championship. With a lost year of development, that talented core will be gone by the time he is.

After another NFC championship loss this year they're going to be looking at Rodgers or Brady to push them over the edge. 

Plus now they have Brock Purdy waiting in the wings after Rodgers gets them a SB win next season. Yes I'm serious.

48 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Plus now they have Brock Purdy waiting in the wings after Rodgers gets them a SB win next season. Yes I'm serious.

Purdy was late on a lot of throws yesterday. It worked but the hype train has gotten out of hand. It wasnt great football 

Edited by HokieHigh

8 hours ago, Sandy said:

If SF takes on Rodgers' contract in 2023 they will not be able to keep the roster they have today intact.  They will run into the same issues we presently have.

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

Purdy was late on a lot of throws yesterday. It worked but the hype train has gotten out of hand. It wasnt great football 

Someone on one of the networks yesterday said SF's offense is not built around the QB and this is why they can have success no matter who is under center.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Someone on one of the networks yesterday said SF's offense is not built around the QB and this is why they can have success no matter who is under center.  

And yet they spent significant capital to try and replace Garoppolo with Trey Lance. Which tells me they think a game manager can only get them so far. The Rams did the same in their QB friendly offense and their bold move got them the ring they sought. It's not inconceivable to think that the 49ers could talk themselves into Rodgers being the piece that puts them over the top next year.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

4 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

And yet they spent significant capital to try and replace Garoppolo with Trey Lance. Which tells me they think a game manager can only get them so far. The Rams did the same in their QB friendly offense and their bold move got them the ring they sought. It's not inconceivable to think that the 49ers could talk themselves into Rodgers being the piece that puts them over the top next year.

There is a chance, yes.

But really, I think it is far more realistic that the 49ers stick with Lance.  He was taken too high and did not get enough time to show if he can do it or not.  

If it weren't for Lance and his draft pick status, then I'd say the scenario becomes more plausible.