Aaron Rodgers contract - An analysis

Packer_ESP

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I believe that's ONLY if the Packers didn't pay Rodgers his roster bonus.

That's correct, 7% for the receiving team is if we don't exercise his option, we trade him, and then the receiving team exercises the option. Their cap hit would be roughly $15.5m

I'm more shaky on what options we have if we do activate the option first. If I'm not mistaken, if we exercise the option and then trade him post-June 1st (the only possibility if the option is exercised) then the receiving team would only pay him the vet minimum this season.

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

I'm more shaky on what options we have if we do activate the option first. If I'm not mistaken, if we exercise the option and then trade him post-June 1st (the only possibility if the option is exercised) then the receiving team would only pay him the vet minimum this season.

Why would we do that? If we pick up the option it's effectively the same cost as if we just cut him (except the 1-2 million of "normal" salary for 2023), which means 31M dead cap in 2023 and 68M in 2024. If the Packers take on 100M of dead cap AND give him away to another team to play for the vet minimum, I'm done with this team and sport.

4 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

Why would we do that? If we pick up the option it's effectively the same cost as if we just cut him (except the 1-2 million of "normal" salary for 2023), which means 31M dead cap in 2023 and 68M in 2024. If the Packers take on 100M of dead cap AND give him away to another team to play for the vet minimum, I'm done with this team and sport.

The only incentive is if it should greatly increase our return... But I agree, getting out of future payroll responsibilities would be the best play.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pugger said:

All I am going to add to this thread is the vitriol directed at our starting QB by some of you is incredible.

All I'm going to add is that it is fair to hold Rodgers to a very high standard of QB play.  And very fair to love what he's done in the past.

While still seeing how poorly he has played at times this year.

His lack of footspeed, which could have been corrected with off-season training, has hurt the offense.

His lack of chemistry with the young WR's again is due to him not coming to Organized Team Activities.

I have little doubt that he can play better, if he fully commits to the team and his training in the off-season.  But it doesn't look to me like he did that this year.

And it has led to this down season.

19 hours ago, pgwingman said:

I think the timing of the option also gives the Packers a lot of wiggle room.

Looking Ahead to the Packers Options with Aaron Rodgers | Over the Cap

So basically he's our QB for 2023 or traded? No way he's walking away from that cash and retiring. That article says there is not a no trade clause.

I can see it both ways for him.:

GB has some serious budding offensive talent, his bros, and some draft capital. He has always said he'd like to retire a packer.

SF has a good team and was his childhood team. Rodgers may welcome the opportunity to "show the Packers up"

I think Cousins is a free agent after 2023. Watch Rodgers go full Favre to MN after a year in SF ;).. Kidding... hopefully.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pugger said:

All I am going to add to this thread is the vitriol directed at our starting QB by some of you is incredible.

I would have traded him if possible, last offseason, but it was a business decision for me and had nothing to do with disliking Rodgers. I always believed the Belichick mantra, that you should be trading someone a year early, rather than a year late. How many teams have been hurt by hanging on to their star QB a season or two too long.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pugger said:

What a load of nonsense. There's literally not a single "vitriolic" post in this thread...

Some of the Rodgers fans (as demonstrated in this post) categorize literally ANYTHING that isn't glowing praise for him to be "vitriol". 

Like honestly, everyone go read this thread and try to find any criticism of Rodgers, much less vitriol.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What a load of nonsense. There's literally not a single "vitriolic" post in this thread...

Some of the Rodgers fans (as demonstrated in this post) categorize literally ANYTHING that isn't glowing praise for him to be "vitriol". 

Like honestly, everyone go read this thread and try to find any criticism of Rodgers, much less vitriol.

Maybe not in this thread but there's a ton of posts in this forum that rips Rodgers.  Not one way or the other on him but if you're saying there hasn't been criticism of Rodgers .. you've been sleeping a lot.

10 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I would have traded him if possible, last offseason, but it was a business decision for me and had nothing to do with disliking Rodgers. I always believed the Belichick mantra, that you should be trading someone a year early, rather than a year late. How many teams have been hurt by hanging on to their star QB a season or two too long.

You would have traded your reigning back to back league MVP?  Rodgers isn't playing like that now but who knew last summer his play would dip like this?  

• Like 1

The more I think about it the more I could see him being interested in Indy. Hell Wentz and Ryan got huge media boosts because of McAfee, imagine the vitriolic hyper-support from that crew if he played for the Colts. Also gives him something potentially solid post retirement, without having to be the media guy he doesn't want to be. Although I still can't tell if they actually like him or not lol. They also could probably move Ryan for something to offset the draft picks.  

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

You would have traded your reigning back to back league MVP?  Rodgers isn't playing like that now but who knew last summer his play would dip like this?  

Yes, I would have traded my, and key caveat here, almost 40 year old back to back MVP quarterback, who is losing his get out of jail card in Devante, and who refuses to play within the offense.

• Like 2