Aaron Rodgers contract - An analysis

Packer_ESP

14 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Persons in Murphy's role and Harlan before him (with a brief appearance by John Jones) aren't supposed to play an active role in team construction and thus not running every transaction past the committee. The committee's focus is more on the business side and the acting President is more an equal among them tasked with finding a GM would will run the show on the field side of things. The person here telling me that I don't know how much input Murphy had in extending Rodgers was inexplicably and simultaneously suggesting/wondering how much the BOD weighed in on that same decision. That's pretty funny actually.

Yet you're the one spouting off "facts" that Murphy is moved involved in day-to-day operations without an iota of proof.  Your only "proof" was that LaFleur was one of the guys that the Packers thought highly of when they were looking for a new HC.

Call it "spouting off" all you want but it's the truth and will most likely come out one day after the parties involved have moved on. You're also conveniently leaving out how I came here the day the "last stand" reports dropped and told everyone that Rodgers was going nowhere and would sign an extension. Literally not one person here, in the media, or anywhere was saying what I was.

'

15 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Call it "spouting off" all you want but it's the truth and will most likely come out one day after the parties involved have moved on. You're also conveniently leaving out how I came here the day the "last stand" reports dropped and told everyone that Rodgers was going nowhere and would sign an extension. Literally not one person here, in the media, or anywhere was saying what I was.

'

For what it's worth, I believe you. Life's too short to doubt everything people say on an online message board.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

For the record, I do think you know someone inside the organization.  I don't think they're as high up as I think you want to lead us to believe, but I do believe you're connected to someone.  And even if the Packers could go into the 2022 season without redoing Aaron Rodgers, the Packers simply couldn't afford to go into the season with Rodgers a "lameduck" QB with his contract set to void after the season.  Especially coming off back-to-back MVP seasons.  The Packers had 2 legitimate options.  Either orchestrate a new, long-term deal or ship out Aaron Rodgers for the best package that they could receive.  As I've said before, the Packers should have moved Aaron Rodgers for a haul of draft pick(s) and player(s), but I also didn't think that any GM would move a reigning MVP QB no matter his age.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

'

I agree with your assessment that the power triumvirate has potential to be too many cooks in the kitchen. I also hope it gets readjusted after MM retires. I just don’t see the part where Gute, given free reign, would have traded away a back to back MVP QB. In this case, I don’t believe there was going to be a much different outcome no matter who was making the executive decisions. 

Murphy had a hand in stabilizing things when we moved on from a super bowl winning coach of many years and helped pick LaFluer. Based on the early returns, it was a good choice although we will see what he’s really made of over the next two seasons. Murphy himself will retire in July ‘25, not because he wants to give up his position but because that’s when he turns 70 and the board rules state he needs to step down. He’s done a fine job on the business side of the operation and has had a hand in developing the area in and around Lambeau for the better of the team. 

On 11/22/2022 at 6:00 PM, Mr Anonymous said:

Somebody is WAY overestimating the role of the Packers BOD here. You have one thing right though, the problems start with Murphy.

The problem started with the 2021 salary cap going down by over 7 percent.  Murphy had nothing to do with that.

Once that happened, the team only had bad options to choose from.

But hey, keep looking for a scapegoat.

• Like 4

On 11/22/2022 at 10:36 AM, 15412 said:

If a GM is acting because he is worried about his tail while bowing to the fans he is pathetic and needs to be canned.

If this would have been the case, the fans should be storming with bigger torches now.  Burying ourselves in this old regressing QB with what results?

Murph and Gute would have first had to pitch the idea of trading Ol Rodg for a kings ransom to the board, covering themselves upfront there as to WHY they would make such a move.  Then you do what's right for the team, with the short term unknown but the long term insured.  Fans don't and shouldn't get a vote.  In this case the short term has sucked.  The long term is going to continue to get difficult unless they can find a way to remove themselves from the present situation.  Or at least lessen the load.

He isn't worried about the fans one bit. He just wants to keep his job as long as possible in an industry where guys like him get replaced on a yearly basis. It was actually a brilliant move for Gute because it bought him atleast another 3-4 years. He's going to get to pick another QB at the very least.

There is really nothing better in this world that making assumptions about what happens behind other peoples closed doors. It's fun to speculate but it's just that. Sorry though for anyone commenting on how the originzation works what Murphy does, what Gute does and what MLF and others do. None of us know squat. It's all best guess. 

5 hours ago, StatKing said:

He isn't worried about the fans one bit. He just wants to keep his job as long as possible in an industry where guys like him get replaced on a yearly basis. It was actually a brilliant move for Gute because it bought him at least another 3-4 years. He's going to get to pick another QB at the very least.

Information based on what, exactly ?  Being a cynic doesn't make you right, it just makes you, well, cynical.

I'd say you stated the bolded words based on Gute not doing what YOU wanted him to do. That doesn't make him an idiot.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive