Aaron Rodgers contract - An analysis

Packer_ESP

11 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

Absolutely, but I don’t think any team will give multiple firsts like some were speculating. 60M for one year is already a tough pill to swallow with the uncertainty around his performance, imho that severely limits the compensation we can get in a trade.

Unless people are gonna take the Russell Wilson trade as some huge learning lesson, I don't see how he won't fetch at least a first round pick.  He's gonna look really good in a good offense, maybe even MVP level, for 1-2 more years.

The contract is high, yes, but with both wilson and watson getting moved for premium packages, the Packers are right to expect that return for their MVP QB.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Yeah, this. Can you imagine the uproar we'd have if we had our record while Rodgers was leading some other team to the playoffs. There'd literally be torches and pitchforks outside of Lambeau

Not only that but he has a built in excuse if Rodgers production continues to decline over the next two years. At the very least he's going to get to pick another QB in the first round 2-3 years from now. If they would have let Rodgers walk he might not have a job 2-3 years from now.

This is what that’s going to happen.

Rodgers will be back…

Gute for God’s sake will have an all offense playmakers draft and keep it in Rodgers hands to get us the wins. 

Man, aging Qb’s need talent around them. If I were GM, my approach will be to provide lot of weapons to aging QB and provide elite pass rush and one stud corner. Remaining all I will fill with Avg to Below Avg players. 

3 hours ago, 15412 said:

If a GM is acting because he is worried about his tail while bowing to the fans he is pathetic and needs to be canned.

If this would have been the case, the fans should be storming with bigger torches now.  Burying ourselves in this old regressing QB with what results?

Murph and Gute would have first had to pitch the idea of trading Ol Rodg for a kings ransom to the board, covering themselves upfront there as to WHY they would make such a move.  Then you do what's right for the team, with the short term unknown but the long term insured.  Fans don't and shouldn't get a vote.  In this case the short term has sucked.  The long term is going to continue to get difficult unless they can find a way to remove themselves from the present situation.  Or at least lessen the load.

The QB was not regressing when the decision was made to extend him. He was a back to back MVP who expressed a desire to play another 3-5 years in the league. There was no reason to think his play would fall off a cliff.

Gute and Murphy took a gamble that Rodgers would be willing to play to MLF's system and that he'd work to integrate the newer receivers into the offense. That gamble has not paid off, but it's hardly a gamble I can fault Gute/Murphy for.

For the record, I do blame Gute for the contract structure and size. When you extend a football player, you need to negotiate a cheap prize or good control. Gute appears to have gotten neither of those.

• Like 3

They buried themselves in a bloated contract giving a 39 year old to be QB all the leverage.  With vision, at the time with him pouting, the answer was clear.  Move on from him to benefit the team long term with the short term unknown.  Again, our short term could not have been any worse.  Signing him to this contract was a terrible move, and not just me but many said that at the time of signing.  My quote you highlighted was in direct response to a comment regarding how fans would have brought out the torches had he been traded.  Not true, not any more so than I see torches right now.  

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

The QB was not regressing when the decision was made to extend him. He was a back to back MVP who expressed a desire to play another 3-5 years in the league. There was no reason to think his play would fall off a cliff.

Gute and Murphy took a gamble that Rodgers would be willing to play to MLF's system and that he'd work to integrate the newer receivers into the offense. That gamble has not paid off, but it's hardly a gamble I can fault Gute/Murphy for.

For the record, I do blame Gute for the contract structure and size. When you extend a football player, you need to negotiate a cheap prize or good control. Gute appears to have gotten neither of those.

As Ive said… Im far more concerned with how they screwed everything up around rodgers in one year.

defense was supposed to be top 5 but it sucks.

oline was supposedly a strength and now its a mess

we probably lose our #1 rb after this year and have who?

the receiver group is either piss poor or simply has a long way to go before itll be any good.

the offensive staff we have…

How did all of this go wrong in a year? It seems with or without rodgers we’d still have major issues. That is far more concerning than if they got it wrong with rodgers or not.

45 minutes ago, 15412 said:

They buried themselves in a bloated contract giving a 39 year old to be QB all the leverage.  With vision, at the time with him pouting, the answer was clear.  Move on from him to benefit the team long term with the short term unknown.  Again, our short term could not have been any worse.  Signing him to this contract was a terrible move, and not just me but many said that at the time of signing.  My quote you highlighted was in direct response to a comment regarding how fans would have brought out the torches had he been traded.  Not true, not any more so than I see torches right now.  

I reread your post and I see your point. I think I misinterpreted it. I've been annoyed by the posts that call for Gute's job because Rodgers isn't playing well, but yours wasn't about that. My bad.

4 minutes ago, chefj85 said:

As Ive said… Im far more concerned with how they screwed everything up around rodgers in one year.

defense was supposed to be top 5 but it sucks.

oline was supposedly a strength and now its a mess

we probably lose our #1 rb after this year and have who?

the receiver group is either piss poor or simply has a long way to go before itll be any good.

the offensive staff we have…

How did all of this go wrong in a year? It seems with or without rodgers we’d still have major issues. That is far more concerning than if they got it wrong with rodgers or not.

Agree with this. Like most fans, I did not see the wheels coming off the bus this fast. I tend to blame a lot of these failures on coaches. Rodger's play, imo, is the least of their worries.

• Like 1

People at the highest levels of management in business get fired for making critical and very costly mistakes like this, or should be.

I'm big on holding people accountable, at an escalating basis.  I hold a 4 million $ a year QB a whole less responsible than a 40 million $ a year QB.

I believe Murph is ultimately responsible more than any one other person in the front office.  Rodgers himself for his on the field play this year, but I never can blame a player for going for the money and security.  Nature of the beast.  I'd like Murph removed.

If I was on the board, I would want to reflect on the decision they made regarding this aging player.  Again, a critical mistake made with weak knees.  

Sure, our defense was supposed to be a whole lot better this year.  There I hold Barry more responsible than any other one person, even the guy that hired him.  But let's face it, our offense too many times at critical points in games was not able to eat clock and move chains.  Not excusing Barry, but a gassed defense is already in trouble.

Ask Murph to retire, review with Gute, fire Barry and maybe any other coach(s) that haven't met expectation.  Right after our last game.  Then get to work on coming player decisions and potential opportunities.

6 minutes ago, chefj85 said:

How do you mean? Murphy has to answer to someone. Who else would it be?

Murphy has presided over one of the winningest periods in franchise history and has worked magic to set the franchise up for sustained financial success with stadium upgrades (second deck) and the building of title town district.  

He has delivered completely on what the board asks of that position.  Anyone who thinks he’s getting fired before his forced retirement in 2025 is out of their minds.  

Edited by Cpdaly23
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, chefj85 said:

How do you mean? Murphy has to answer to someone. Who else would it be?

Persons in Murphy's role and Harlan before him (with a brief appearance by John Jones) aren't supposed to play an active role in team construction and thus not running every transaction past the committee. The committee's focus is more on the business side and the acting President is more an equal among them tasked with finding a GM would will run the show on the field side of things. The person here telling me that I don't know how much input Murphy had in extending Rodgers was inexplicably and simultaneously suggesting/wondering how much the BOD weighed in on that same decision. That's pretty funny actually.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

2 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Murphy has presided over one of the winningest periods in franchise history and has worked magic to set the franchise up for sustained financial success with stadium upgrades (second deck) and the building of title town district.  

He has delivered completely on what the board asks of that position.  Anyone who thinks he’s getting fired before his forced retirement in 2025 is out of their minds.  

Fired no. Reminded here and there (by some more than others and growing in intensity) how his insertion into team building decisions may not have been the best idea, yes. Ultimately Murphy is going to retire earlier than currently slated to which is 2025.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Fired no. Reminded here and there (by some more than others and growing in intensity) how his insertion into team building decisions may not have been the best idea, yes. Ultimately Murphy is going to retire earlier than currently slated to which is 2025.

Sorry, I just disagree.  Whether or not you believe it sustainable, the current structure has worked since implementation.  We’re a long way off before the board steps in and forces Murphy to do anything.  They are going to ride this wave as long as possible.  The only way he doesn’t make it to the forced retirement age is by his own volition or if his hand picked successor (believed to be Ed Policy) gets an offer away and they want to lock him in.