Week 12: San Francisco 49ers vs New Orleans Saints

J-ALL-DAY

Shame that injuries are likely gona kill Mitchell's career. He was the most underrated of all our weapons. No way you can rely on him as even your backup next season 

Hope Mitchell heals up for his own good. And also hope that Mason & TDP can step up. Maybe Coleman gets some more shots too

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't think that you ever look dumb when you're doing your players a solid for them. 

That kind of goodwill doesn't hurt when people are considering teams to join and what kind of reputations teams have. 

This is exactly where I'm at. Yes, it sucks to lose Wilson, but he was as good as gone as soon as CMC came to the Bay Area. 

Wilson has made it very clear that he wanted out and Lynch did right by him. There was no scenario where Wilson stayed and everyone were happy campers. 

I've seen some terrible takes about this situation but I hope we're all on the same page here about it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm sorry @TecmoSuperJoe , but there is no way Jimmy had to take off there  lol. He had enough room, especially to the outside where he would have extended the play a bit longer. Not saying we score or anything, but he would have been able to at least throw it in the end zone. Running there made NO sense at all since 92 is sitting there and there's a defender right at the end zone. 

Shanahan himself seemed to have a different attitude when asked about the play in his presser. They didn't get the rub route on Kittle, and Juice was also taken away. Same with Aiyuk in the corner. It's 4th down, and Jimmy made a snap judgment when he thought he saw an opening. The Saints essentially played perfect defense on that snap, and Jimmy shuffled his luck trying to squirt into the endzone. Probably didn't see #92 in position to take him out, but I don't know. I'll be interested to see the A22 for more clarity, but in game-then, and now I'm not up-in-arms about it. 

3 hours ago, adamq said:

Mitchell out for 6 to 8 weeks.. really frustrating how the FO just thinks injury prone guys will never get injured again. Mason/TDP better be for real, or trading JW will look pretty dumb

Was Mitchell plagued by injuries in college? He's still young enough, that it might just be bad luck. His running style is really physical though, so he might already be breaking down. 49ers have two other backs after CMC, and as much as I love Jeff Wilson, don't think the season will come down to whether he was on the roster or not. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

5 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Was Mitchell plagued by injuries in college? He's still young enough, that it might just be bad luck. His running style is really physical though, so he might already be breaking down. 49ers have two other backs after CMC, and as much as I love Jeff Wilson, don't think the season will come down to whether he was on the roster or not. 

Pretty sure that's why he fell so far, and given his track record since he's been in the league surely they anticipated this could happen. 

But there are only so many roster slots if your options are

A. Trade JWJ, gain a 5th

B. Keep JWJ, lose Mason & then lose JWJ in the offseason

Then option B would probably be the stupid choice, actually 

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm sorry @TecmoSuperJoe , but there is no way Jimmy had to take off there  lol. He had enough room, especially to the outside where he would have extended the play a bit longer. Not saying we score or anything, but he would have been able to at least throw it in the end zone. Running there made NO sense at all since 92 is sitting there and there's a defender right at the end zone. 

I thought it was stupid yesterday but watch the replay again and what happens if Juice doesn’t go down and blocks 92 instead. Then he’s got one man to kind of beat with Mitchell in front of him. I don’t think Mitchell realizes Jimmy’s running at that point anyway, but still, just the one guy to get around. Can’t really see from this angle why Juice goes down though. Slip? Regardless, take 92 out and I think Jimmy’s in. 

10 hours ago, straighthate said:

I thought it was stupid yesterday but watch the replay again and what happens if Juice doesn’t go down and blocks 92 instead. Then he’s got one man to kind of beat with Mitchell in front of him. I don’t think Mitchell realizes Jimmy’s running at that point anyway, but still, just the one guy to get around. Can’t really see from this angle why Juice goes down though. Slip? Regardless, take 92 out and I think Jimmy’s in. 

Jimmy isn't getting in regardless of 92 being taken out or not lol. 

11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Shanahan himself seemed to have a different attitude when asked about the play in his presser. They didn't get the rub route on Kittle, and Juice was also taken away. Same with Aiyuk in the corner. It's 4th down, and Jimmy made a snap judgment when he thought he saw an opening. The Saints essentially played perfect defense on that snap, and Jimmy shuffled his luck trying to squirt into the endzone. Probably didn't see #92 in position to take him out, but I don't know. I'll be interested to see the A22 for more clarity, but in game-then, and now I'm not up-in-arms about it. 

I never said it was going to be a TD for sure if Jimmy threw it in the end zone just that he could have waited a split second more and then thrown it one of the receivers to give them a chance. There was no need for him to run right there. He could have moved to the outside as he had a bunch of room but he took off too early and was not close to getting in. Oh well, at least Shanny finally went for it on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line. 

20 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

They probably knocked Huf for the big play that Shaheed got in the first half. There was supposed to be a safety over the top and it could have been Huf's responsibility. And he did miss that one tackle where Warner got the punchout. I don't think those two plays alone should contribute to his low grade though. 

I'm watching the All-22 right now and just watched the Huf miss and Warner FF. It looks like Huf was playing it as if it was play action because he was going straight for Dalton and only went to Kamara after realizing it was a hand off. 

Honestly, now that I saw what was really happening, I'm not upset by this play. If it was indeed a play action, Dalton would've been destroyed. If Huf played it as a run and it was play action, the chance of a bigger play is greater than what actually happened. The run only went for 3 yards.

I would have a hard time knocking Huf for this play. 

Here are two consecutive plays off of the turnover in the first quarter. WARNING: Be prepared to be disappointed....

1st & 10 at the NO 19

FC4C53S.jpg

I'm going to chalk this up to bad play design rather than poor execution. Aiyuk seems to be tasked with crack blocking Jordan. Aiyuk never even gets close to Jordan because he ran into Williams. The reason I'm saying this is bad scheming is if you watch it in real time, Jordan got off the line so fast that Aiyuk never had a chance to get to him. 

DyhSsZV.jpg

When you see the play from this angle, you can see that it could've easily scored a TD if Jordan could've been blocked. Again, I'm not even sure Aiyuk could've gotten to him. 

Next play: 2nd & 13 at the NO 22

YHFvZ3S.jpg

Sigh.....

The red circle is where Jimmy went with it. The yellow is where he should've gone with it. Now, normally I hate doing things like this because we don't know what the read is, but when watching this play, he scans the field, then he steps up in the pocket. If he had his eyes further down field, he had a wide open TD to Aiyuk. Instead, he forces it between multiple defenders and Jennings drops it anyways.

Again, second play in row that could've scored a TD. This time, it's poor decision making by Jimmy. 

• Like 2

This is very frustrating. Here are two plays a little later in our first drive:

2nd & 5 at the NO 5

FzwzNnO.jpg

The 1st read on this play seems to be Kittle over the middle and it was there but Jimmy didn't trust it for whatever reason. ANOTHER TD was dialed up and it was missed. 

Instead, Jimmy sees Deebo running along the goal line and the two middle defenders break on it. Jimmy ended up sailing this on purposes out of the back of the endzone. But, watching the play, he actually had Deebo with some space around him and could've threw it at Deebo's feet for a chance at a TD. 

Jimmy missed two chances at a TD on this play to continue a frustrating Red Zone trip. On to the next play...

3rd & 5 at the NO 5

h5IFmoW.jpg

The 1st read seemed to be Aiyuk on a deep out in what looks like a levels concept. Aiyuk was actually open and Jimmy saw it. As you can see, Jimmy reads it right and starts to throw in anticipation. BUT, Jimmy throws it too flat and not enough touch and hits the underneath defender right in the hands.

Again, Jimmy made the right decision but made a bad throw for the 5th missed TD of the drive

team america vomit GIF

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

@NinerNation21 You gonna make stills for the beneficial plays on offense also? I'd love to hear your take on the things that went well. 

Yeah, I can work on that throughout the week. I just finished the game and have a few more takeaways, good and bad. 

The bad:

• This was a bad performance by Jimmy from start to end. He was indecisive, inaccurate, and just generally slow processing. I'm hoping this was due to lack of sleep and on-field prep work. He literally missed at least 3 TD's and maybe a 4th in this game. 
  • Banks had a real rough first half in both pass blocking and run blocking, but seemed to clean it up a bit in the second.
  • McGlinchey. He looked pretty lost at times.

The Good:

• McGill & Ridgeway. McGill whooped up on Andrus Peat a couple of times in the first half and was getting good penetration for most of his snaps. Ridgeway was living in the backfield for several of his snaps. I was very impressed with these two. Getting Armstead back, along with Givens breakout year, gives us a real nice interior group.
  • Ebukam's return. His presence was felt all throughout this game. There were two plays where Hill was trying a delayed QB run and Ebukam just stuffed him either at or behind the line.
  • Drake Jackson is getting better every week. He had some nice pressures and was doing all over the line. This is the first time I really noticed him lining up as an inside rusher and he actually did ok. Still better off the edge though. 
  • Jordan Mason looked pretty good. On our last drive to ice the game, the Saints were playing a bunch of 5 and 6 man fronts and Mason was still picking up 6 or 7 yards a pop. He was a load to take down and I'm excited to see him get some more carries this week.
  • Like 1

@NinerNation21Ok, I look forward to it. 

The entire team only had one day of practice. In addition to coming off an international game on Monday night, it was a slog as predicted. Jimmy had a lackluster game, but that's going to happen. At least he didn't turn the ball over, and the defense played well. It was NFC opponent, and they won at home, so considering the circumstances, I'm good. Even great SB winning campaigns have had slow grinding affairs against seemingly inferior competition. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

@NinerNation21Ok, I look forward to it. 

The entire team only had one day of practice. In addition to coming off an international game on Monday night, it was a slog as predicted. Jimmy had a lackluster game, but that's going to happen. At least he didn't turn the ball over, and the defense played well. It was NFC opponent, and they won at home, so considering the circumstances, I'm good. Even great SB winning campaigns have had slow grinding affairs against seemingly inferior competition. 

This is a rhythm based offense, especially with all the motion and zone runs they do so it was very predictable that the offense was going to come out flat. When you say they had one day of practice, I wouldn't even say they had that. Thursday the practice was cut off short for Thanksgiving and it was more of a walkthrough and then on Friday they had some real live reps but still they didn't go too hard as it was two days before the game. I expect the offense to bounce back and play much better this week. 

13 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jimmy isn't getting in regardless of 92 being taken out or not lol. 

Yeeeeeah, you can put two or three lol’s on there to try to dismiss it, but watch it again. If 92 is blocked Jimmy’s going more towards outside the hash vs cutting inside. He’s probably getting in or at least close to it. Oh yeah, lol.