Jimmy G the biggest enigma?

Manny/Patrick

11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I mean it has happened. Saints game in 2019. Rams game that same year. Rams game last year to make the playoffs. Good defenses. People just conveniently choose to forget. A good playoff performance is what he needs though. 

The 2 Rams games Jimmy G wasn't even good in. That is my whole point. The 49ers team has been good enough to let Jimmy G stay in games long enough to put a few drives together so some people call him clutch. He is capable of winning those games but he needs the defensive support and strong running game. 

4 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

They tried to trade him and teams were like nah 

The injury played a prominent role in that. He would have been moved pretty easily otherwise, I would imagine. Reports were that Washington and Indy were both out because of the shoulder. 

It's a bit of a measuring stick (if he were that good, teams would have done it anyway), but not the end all be all of determining his value

5 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

The 2 Rams games Jimmy G wasn't even good in. That is my whole point. The 49ers team has been good enough to let Jimmy G stay in games long enough to put a few drives together so some people call him clutch. He is capable of winning those games but he needs the defensive support and strong running game. 

Those are good defenses. And his numbers against the Rams overall are very good. When it's week 18, and you have a minute and a half to make the playoffs, and you start at your own 10 yard line, and you get the tying TD going up against Donald, Miller, and Ramsey on the road, that is clutch mate. Period. Let's stop acting like every QB with a good supporting cast never faces adversity. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

On 11/26/2022 at 12:03 PM, Manny/Patrick said:

I think we all know what we are getting with Jimmy. He’s going to make some clutch throws, but the team isn’t going to ask him to win the game. He is one emmanuel sanders overthrow of having a whole different narrative. The team wins 70% of his games and everyone around him loves the guy. I get that Trey Lance will probably be the guy win or lose the SB this year. I don’t recall Mark sanchez getting this much hate and he won almost as much as Jimmy and had an elite defense. With CMC now in the backfield he is looking a bit different now, how would you evaluate this whole situation?

For the record, people like to bring this play up, but that would've put them up by 3 giving the ball back to KC with a minute and a half and three timeouts left. It would not necessarily have changed the outcome of that game.

9 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

For the record, people like to bring this play up, but that would've put them up by 3 giving the ball back to KC with a minute and a half and three timeouts left. It would not necessarily have changed the outcome of that game.

But than it would be the defense that would be blamed a bit more and Jimmy would be viewed as a QB who put his team to win the game

13 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

But than it would be the defense that would be blamed a bit more and Jimmy would be viewed as a QB who put his team to win the game

Narratives are rarely that nuanced. It still would've been that Mahomes made plays Jimmy couldn't have. It isn't like people think Jimmy isn't good enough because he lost that game that way. People already thought Jimmy wasn't good enough, that game was just additional confirmation. People would've found other plays not made as alternative confirmation. It's not like nobody knew what caliber of QB Jimmy G was before that game. It's just another item of evidence on the list.

Like, Nick Foles won a superbowl. It didn't really change anyone's opinion as Nick Foles overall as a QB.

• Like 1