Jimmy G the biggest enigma?

Manny/Patrick

Jimmy Garoppolo is Schrodinger's Quarterback. He is simultaneously the sh*ttiest good QB ever, and the best sh*tty QB ever. Some games he makes top 5 caliber throws, others he is a checkdown merchant. Some games he takes charge and leads the team to victory, and others his team wins in spite of him. At the end of the day he's probably underrated, actually. I think part of his polarity comes from the fact he's been in the spotlight for almost his entire career, unusual for a 2nd round QB who has been in the above average tier for his entire career and has fewer games played than Chad Henne. Perhaps "Jimmy G" is not to be understood, merely observed.

• Like 6

There's several QBs in the league that are in the Jimmy tier where if they have a good cast and game script can win a ton of games. But there's never been a time I thought Jimmy could put a team on his back and win games. 

And if he is forced to do that in the playoffs, I'm almost certain the 49ers will get bounced. 

8 hours ago, evilpimp972 said:

There's no enigma, he's a mediocre QB (because he can't throw outside the numbers) that has one of the best offensive / defensive roster of the league, he looks great when teams let him throw in the middle of the field (he's elite there), bad when they don't (sometimes it doesn't matter when the run game is elite).

Your boy Wilson throws outside the numbers, and loves to chuck it deep. Hasn't saved him from being terrible the last two years. 

Teams know Jimmy loves to throw to the middle of the field, and yet they still can't stop it most of the time when they try. Why would Shanahan and Jimmy stop scheming that up if it works? 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

But there's never been a time I thought Jimmy could put a team on his back and win games. 

I mean it has happened. Saints game in 2019. Rams game that same year. Rams game last year to make the playoffs. Good defenses. People just conveniently choose to forget. A good playoff performance is what he needs though. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

From what I gather he's like Alex Smith. You could do worse but can also do better. If you need stability at the QB spot he's your guy but he's not gonna take you to the top, despite coming close a couple years ago.

A purgatory QB, I guess?

Give me Alex Smith 100 times out of 100. He had athleticism, some pocket awareness, and a serviceable arm

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

From what I gather he's like Alex Smith. You could do worse but can also do better. If you need stability at the QB spot he's your guy but he's not gonna take you to the top, despite coming close a couple years ago.

A purgatory QB, I guess?

This is disrespectful to alex smith.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Jimmy Garoppolo is Schrodinger's Quarterback. He is simultaneously the sh*ttiest good QB ever, and the best sh*tty QB ever. Some games he makes top 5 caliber throws, others he is a checkdown merchant. Some games he takes charge and leads the team to victory, and others his team wins in spite of him. At the end of the day he's probably underrated, actually. I think part of his polarity comes from the fact he's been in the spotlight for almost his entire career, unusual for a 2nd round QB who has been in the above average tier for his entire career and has fewer games played than Chad Henne. Perhaps "Jimmy G" is not to be understood, merely observed.

Our binary programed society doesn't want to hear it.

• Like 1