Jimmy G the biggest enigma?

Manny/Patrick

I think we all know what we are getting with Jimmy. He’s going to make some clutch throws, but the team isn’t going to ask him to win the game. He is one emmanuel sanders overthrow of having a whole different narrative. The team wins 70% of his games and everyone around him loves the guy. I get that Trey Lance will probably be the guy win or lose the SB this year. I don’t recall Mark sanchez getting this much hate and he won almost as much as Jimmy and had an elite defense. With CMC now in the backfield he is looking a bit different now, how would you evaluate this whole situation?

23 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

how would you evaluate this whole situation?

As another mistake by your Ownership/GM. Your HC is the reason like in Atlanta as the OC both Jimmy (21-10) and Matt (28-3) don't have SB rings. Not thier abilities but the horrendous play calling/time mis-management in both SB's. 

I think it would be comical if somehow Jimmy won SF a SB and was still let go or allowed to walk away in favor of Trey GD Lance. Helping SF get to two SB in 4 years, where they easily could of won both if not for Kyle's Stupidity yet again.

Everyone wants that shiny new toy with all the gadgets and upgrades. Instead of the reliable one that just seems to get the job done, no questions asked.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

I think we all know what we are getting with Jimmy. He’s going to make some clutch throws, but the team isn’t going to ask him to win the game. He is one emmanuel sanders overthrow of having a whole different narrative. The team wins 70% of his games and everyone around him loves the guy. I get that Trey Lance will probably be the guy win or lose the SB this year. I don’t recall Mark sanchez getting this much hate and he won almost as much as Jimmy and had an elite defense. With CMC now in the backfield he is looking a bit different now, how would you evaluate this whole situation?

The biggest difference between Sanchez and Jimmy is that it's obvious how much of a liability Sanchez was.

Jimmy has his flaws, but this team responds to him. This forums stubborn hatred of him and putting Lance on a pedestal is a mystery.

• Like 4

It isn’t just about Jimmy’s on-field performance.

He will be 32 years old next season and has only played 2 full-seasons of his career. When we say “he gets it done” we are literally just talking about 2 seasons worth, largely due to his inability to stay healthy. That can’t be ignored.

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

As another mistake by your Ownership/GM. Your HC is the reason like in Atlanta as the OC both Jimmy (21-10) and Matt (28-3) don't have SB rings. Not thier abilities but the horrendous play calling/time mis-management in both SB's. 

I think it would be comical if somehow Jimmy won SF a SB and was still let go or allowed to walk away in favor of Trey GD Lance. Helping SF get to two SB in 4 years, where they easily could of won both if not for Kyle's Stupidity yet again.

Everyone wants that shiny new toy with all the gadgets and upgrades. Instead of the reliable one that just seems to get the job done, no questions asked.

Have you seen Jimmy in the playoffs? Because it kind of sounds like you haven't. They are winning despite him, or at best, with him in some games. He's not getting it done there. He is getting it done in the regular season, so props to him there, but he struggles to stay healthy and hasn't carved out an edge in the post season and he's been an outright disaster in the 4th quarter so far. He'll get one more chance this year, and I think he'll do better. I think CMC was such a huge add. It's keeping Jimmy from being catastrophic jimmy

Two, what stupidity did Kyle Shanahan have in the super bowl against the chiefs? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, biggie. said:

The biggest difference between Sanchez and Jimmy is that it's obvious how much of a liability Sanchez was.

Jimmy has his flaws, but this team responds to him. This forums stubborn hatred of him and putting Lance on a pedestal is a mystery.

Only one person put Lance on a pedestal, and he's not even a 49er fan LOL

Jimmy is a perfectly cromulent quarterback. People mock teams like Cincinnati and Minnesota for sticking with those guys through big contracts, but weirdly also criticize the 49ers for trying not to do that. This forum, as a whole, is generally not a place you want to go to for consistent takes. There are too many people with too many varying opinions. Easier to deal with specific people. 

• Like 2

There's no enigma, he's a mediocre QB (because he can't throw outside the numbers) that has one of the best offensive / defensive roster of the league, he looks great when teams let him throw in the middle of the field (he's elite there), bad when they don't (sometimes it doesn't matter when the run game is elite).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Two, what stupidity did Kyle Shanahan have in the super bowl against the chiefs? 

Dont remember every single play but I do remember wondering WTF kind of play call was that numerous times in that 4th QT? Especially since my wife is a 49ers fan and was surrounded by Chiefs fans at the SB party.

Article sums up Kyle's inability to get it done, unless we're also blaming Matt Ryan as well?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/kyle-shanahan-49ers-chiefs-super-bowl/tkhedp8xe28g1sjghfwg2992k

Edited by Nabbs4u

22 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Dont remember every single play but I do remember wondering WTF kind of play call was that numerous times in that 4th QT? Especially since my wife is a 49ers fan and was surrounded by Chiefs fans at the SB party.

Article sums up Kyle's inability to get it done, unless we're also blaming Matt Ryan as well?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/kyle-shanahan-49ers-chiefs-super-bowl/tkhedp8xe28g1sjghfwg2992k

I mean, I can point to a few articles about Jimmy G melting down in that quarter. The Sanders miss is the most notable, but he missed numerous wide open receivers. 

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/2/13/21123876/missed-opportunities-offense-super-bowl-loss-garoppolos-lack-of-vision-shanahans-play-calling

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/2/4/21122062/jimmy-garoppolo-missed-george-kittle-throws-super-bowl-2020-49ers-chiefs

I have nothing wrong with what Shanny called during the 4th quarter of the super bowl. The narrative because of the Atlanta game makes it juicier, but really stretching from what is actually happening on the field. Execution was pretty poor in that one and Jimmy now has a rep for just being awful in the 4th quarter of the playoffs over a 6 game stretch (https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/jimmy-garoppolos-fourth-quarter-playoff-woes-haunt-49ers-once-again).

Also, Chris Jones deserves a lot of credit for simply blowing up multiple plays against Mike Person. 

The playoff game that deserves criticism is last year's NFCCG. Kyle was just straight up awful there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Only one person put Lance on a pedestal, and he's not even a 49er fan LOL

Jimmy is a perfectly cromulent quarterback. People mock teams like Cincinnati and Minnesota for sticking with those guys through big contracts, but weirdly also criticize the 49ers for trying not to do that. This forum, as a whole, is generally not a place you want to go to for consistent takes. There are too many people with too many varying opinions. Easier to deal with specific people. 

NFL Gen has gotten so much worse with the redditification of this stuff over the last couple years. Like it's astounding how bad it's gotten. There's no consistency, no thought really, it's all just dollar brand like and engagement farming but there's no real basis for any of it in football analysis.

Jimmy is what he is, he's in no way an enigma, we've got 60 games of tape on the guy, we KNOW what he is, what his strengths are, what his weaknesses are, what the ceiling is, what the floor is, the only question isn't "well what if" it's "who do they bring in to replace Jimmy as a capable backup for Lance next year".

Edited by Thelonebillsfan
  • Like 2

Jimmy is what he is, doesn't seem like an enigma. Quick release, smart guy, but sometimes doesn't see things he should and makes questionable decisions under pressure. He's a good team mate and locker room guy, and handles the press well. He's good enough to win a SB, but not to carry a team there. He'll get you 8+ wins with an average team, and 12+ with a good coach and decent team.

He'll go to a QB needy team next year, and do alright. If the Colts draft a project QB Jimmy would be a good stopgap for them. If the Raiders let Carr walk Jimmy will go to LV and get his numbers flattered by McDaniels and Adams.

Even if he wins a SB in SF this year he won't be back. Partly because it just seems like SF wants to move on from him, mostly because a QB-needy team will give him too much money...and finally because I can't shake the feeling Tom is already looking at real estate in the Bay Area.