Paxton Lynch to start for Broncos

ET80

18 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

A 3-7 team with 6 losses in a row playing a sophomore former R1 draft pick over Brock Osweiler and Siemien is a desperation move?

The Broncos went past desperation once Trevor regressed to absurd levels. Now its simply about seeing what we have. Lynch does well, we might have a QBOTF. Lynch loses, we end up top 3 and grab a QBOTF or Barkley.

Pretty simple move.

I don't expect much and wish Kelly wasn't injured but we will see. Paxton seems too 'awwww shucks' to succeed in this league. He seems just sorta like a big gangly dope. Its frightening that Elway, and a ton of other teams, sat down with him and came away with the idea he could be molded into a NFL starting QB.

Yes it is a desperation move.  Earlier this year, they were ready to sign Simian to a LTD, then they give up on him and bring Brock in, which is fine.  But he can't get the job, so they turn to the young guy that nobody has any real confidence in just to "see what we have."  For a team that was actually pretty good last year, this should be very worrisome for Bronco fans. 

Unlike the Bills nonsense, this actually makes sense to me.

None of what they've run with is doing them any favors.  They're not even getting boring reliable Tyrod Taylor performance there.  They're not giving up on adequate play for an unknown.  And on the other end of it...unlike Peterman who is an extremely limited project backup QB type...Lynch at least has some interesting starter traits.  I doubt it works out brilliantly for them, but you can't go into this offseason with likely a pretty high draft pick without knowing if your last fairly high QB pick (Lynch) is going to be worth anything or not.  So you give him a run and see what happens.

35 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Yes it is a desperation move.  Earlier this year, they were ready to sign Simian to a LTD, then they give up on him and bring Brock in, which is fine.  But he can't get the job, so they turn to the young guy that nobody has any real confidence in just to "see what we have."  For a team that was actually pretty good last year, this should be very worrisome for Bronco fans. 

I don't see it as a "desperation" move at all.  The Broncos have been in dire straits at QB since Peyton left.  Siemian managed to stopgap reasonably well, but it wasn't nearly enough to get anything serious done.  It was a bandaid.  But there's been desperation hovering around the Broncos QB spot for a while now.  This isn't entirely new.  It's just reached an absolute breaking point that was a long time coming.  With a team that's teetering on the brink of quitting if something doesn't change.

If anything, Siemian showing just how limited he is so prominently (and Brock already having shown he can't really carry water), probably helps the Broncos in the end.  They're last in their division by Thanksgiving with a horrendous point differential.  They have nothing left to lose at this point.  Either Lynch comes in and sparks something and they go on a run...or they continue their slide and know with some certainty that he's not worth passing on a QB in the draft for.

It's the obvious move really, not desperation.  The fact they're out of it and haven't seen any competent QB play lately makes that the case.

6 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Can you show me proof please about getting ready to sign him to a long term deal?

57 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Can you show me proof please about getting ready to sign him to a long term deal?

I'll have Elway send you the contract.  9_9

After the Dallas game, there was a lot of chatter about how Siemian was going to be the guy going forward.  If you're a Broncos fan, you already know that.  

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I don't see it as a "desperation" move at all.  The Broncos have been in dire straits at QB since Peyton left.  Siemian managed to stopgap reasonably well, but it wasn't nearly enough to get anything serious done.  It was a bandaid.  But there's been desperation hovering around the Broncos QB spot for a while now.  This isn't entirely new.  It's just reached an absolute breaking point that was a long time coming.  With a team that's teetering on the brink of quitting if something doesn't change.

If anything, Siemian showing just how limited he is so prominently (and Brock already having shown he can't really carry water), probably helps the Broncos in the end.  They're last in their division by Thanksgiving with a horrendous point differential.  They have nothing left to lose at this point.  Either Lynch comes in and sparks something and they go on a run...or they continue their slide and know with some certainty that he's not worth passing on a QB in the draft for.

It's the obvious move really, not desperation.  The fact they're out of it and haven't seen any competent QB play lately makes that the case.

Yeah I agree with most of what you're saying.  Maybe we are just using different language.  

The bottom line is:  The Broncos were thought to be competitive this year and they've been anything but in most of their games.  The reason I say desperation is because their coach, who looked like he had a handle on the team early on, suddenly looks like he is grasping for straws.  If they had any confidence in Paxton Lynch, he probably would have started much sooner.  (yeah, I know he's had some injuries)  But by all accounts, Lynch seems to be the last hope for a team that is circling the drain.  

des·per·ate
ˈdesp(ə)rət/
adjective

1. feeling, showing, or involving a hopeless sense that a situation is so bad as to be impossible to deal with.
    (of an act or attempt) tried in despair or when everything else has failed; having little hope of success.
    synonyms: despairing, hopeless; More

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

1 hour ago, JLambert58 said:

I'll have Elway send you the contract.  9_9

After the Dallas game, there was a lot of chatter about how Siemian was going to be the guy going forward.  If you're a Broncos fan, you already know that.  

Again no proof just making blank statements. It's one thing to say there was chatter and it's another to say they were ready to sign him to a long term deal. As a Broncos fan I know that was not even close to being the case.

Archived