The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The market hasn't been kind at a lot of positions imo. CB, FS, LB (Sans Edmunds). DT has been pretty crazy but yeah Jacobs would not have done as nearly as good as i thought he would.

Teams in were pretty disciplined with their spending overall to be honest. But yeah it was brutal for DBs/LBs this year, two positions we have huge holes at but decided to just sit it out for whatever reason.

The current FA market for RB's must make Ziggy happy and Jacobs mad...

Sanders 6,25M

Montgomery 6M

Wiliams 4M

Robinson 4M

Perrine 3,75M

Singletary 3,75M

Mattison 3,5M

Yeah I know that JJ is a lot better then these guys, but still the RB contracts continue to decline...

5 minutes ago, Rolni said:

The current FA market for RB's must make Ziggy happy and Jacobs mad...

Sanders 6,25M

Montgomery 6M

Wiliams 4M

Robinson 4M

Perrine 3,75M

Singletary 3,75M

Mattison 3,5M

Yeah I know that JJ is a lot better then these guys, but still the RB contracts continue to decline...

I know most guys don't really like to play on one year deals but it might be worth it for Jacobs to try and negotiate an extension next off-season.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I know most guys don't really like to play on one year deals but it might be worth it for Jacobs to try and negotiate an extension next off-season.

He should try to negotiate now.  His value will never be higher than what it currently is.  He just had a 2,000 yard season and was the leading rusher in the NFL.  Chances are he will never achieve that again.  He'll probably rush for 1,000 yards this upcoming season and then hit FA just to get a 6M per season deal for 2-3 seasons

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

He should try to negotiate now.  His value will never be higher than what it currently is.  He just had a 2,000 yard season and was the leading rusher in the NFL.  Chances are he will never achieve that again.  He'll probably rush for 1,000 yards this upcoming season and then hit FA just to get a 6M per season deal for 2-3 seasons

I can't see him getting more than 10M APY now.

• Like 1

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

For the player he is yes. He creates with very little. I think he has a lot left in the tank.

We're going to pay him elite RB money when most teams that have given big RB deals are currently regretting it, after he had one year of elite production. That's my biggest concern with him, is he really going to be able to sustain what he did last year?

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We're going to pay him elite RB money when most teams that have given big RB deals are currently regretting it, after he had one year of elite production. That's my biggest concern with him, is he really going to be able to sustain what he did last year?

Elite rb money is 10 million a year? He doesn't need to. He just needs to sustain the level of play, not the ridiculous production.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Elite rb money is 10 million a year? He doesn't need to. He just needs to sustain the level of play, not the ridiculous production.

Now it is. There are only 7 RB's making over $10M APY. And we've seen rumors about the Vikings wanting to move on from Cook, Bengals wanting to move on from Mixon, and the Browns/Titans wanting to potentially move on from Chubb/Henry. Aaron Jones had to take a pay cut to stay in Green Bay. The only ones that haven't been mentioned in trade talks are Kamara (who's likely getting suspended) and CMC who just got traded. 

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Now it is. There are only 7 RB's making over $10M APY. And we've seen rumors about the Vikings wanting to move on from Cook, Bengals wanting to move on from Mixon, and the Browns/Titans wanting to potentially move on from Chubb/Henry. Aaron Jones had to take a pay cut to stay in Green Bay. The only ones that haven't been mentioned in trade talks are Kamara (who's likely getting suspended) and CMC who just got traded. 

So you let him walk for at best a 4th round comp pick? Idk man for 10 mil I'd do it in a heartbeat, especially if it's 3-4 years.