The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Rumor is Jacobs and Barkley are both not signing the tag. Love me some Jacobs but sign me up for Barkley for 2M more a year lol

Josh was the heart and soul of the team last year, Saqoun struggles to stay healthy. Sends a terrible message not to take care of the guys who "do everything right"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Josh was the heart and soul of the team last year, Saqoun struggles to stay healthy. Sends a terrible message not to take care of the guys who "do everything right"

Barkley is definitely the better player, I’ve always said do not get in the “reward” mindset if you wanna build a good team. This is a business. A business trying to win rings at that. You go after the best players. Period. 

Also Barkley has been injured but so has Jacobs. Jacobs was an injury riddled mess for 3 straight seasons before last year. 

With the reward logic, you are thinking about the past, not the future. A flawed way of thinking in every aspect of life. 

With that said, I’m totally fine getting Jacobs long term. Just saying, if there is a chance for Barkley at 1-2M more a year, you take it. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Barkley is definitely the better player, I’ve always said do not get in the “reward” mindset if you wanna build a good team. This is a business. A business trying to win rings at that. You go after the best players. Period. 

Also Barkley has been injured but so has Jacobs. Jacobs was an injury riddled mess for 3 straight seasons before last year. 

Saquon is definitely the better player with 500 less rush yards and 11 less rush TDs, while Josh has played in the same amount of games in 1 less season. Saquons best year was his rookie year, while Josh is coming off his best year. Injury riddled mess that missed 6 games to Saquon's 20+. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

You pay for FUTURE production. Not PAST production. Maxx you are paying for FUTURE production. Adams you paid for FUTURE production. Etc.

Josh is 25. If you dont want to pay a RB thats fine, but to pay another RB big money over a guy who just came off a great season and is a locker room leader entering his prime years is foolish. Quick way to lose a locker room if things dont work out. The NFL is a business, but if you dont manage these big personalities carefully youll be out of a job. Look at the reports of guys being unhappy about cutting our damn Long Snapper. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Josh is 25. If you dont want to pay a RB thats fine, but to pay another RB big money over a guy who just came off a great season and is a locker room leader entering his prime years is foolish. Quick way to lose a locker room if things dont work out. The NFL is a business, but if you dont manage these big personalities carefully youll be out of a job. Look at the reports of guys being unhappy about cutting our damn Long Snapper. 

Locker Room Leader? Josh Jacobs is a hard worker but a total whiner and drama. Barkley has not had anywhere close to the same attitude. Barkley also had the worst WR core in the NFL last year (not an exaggeration, they are THE worst, no argument), and I am still firm Daniel Jones is not a Top 20 QB. Barkley faced an inhumane # of stacked boxes. Still 1300 yards and 4.4 ypc. 

There is no loyalty in this game. Players are not loyal to teams and teams are not loyal to players. It’s the name of the game. Just like real life. No company is loyal to you. And if you are loyal to any company, you’re a fool. 

That’s the issue I have with some posters on here, there should be zero emotional attachment to any player. You’re rooting for the team. 

Edited by BayRaider

57 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Locker Room Leader? Josh Jacobs is a hard worker but a total whiner and drama. Barkley has not had anywhere close to the same attitude. Barkley also had the worst WR core in the NFL last year (not an exaggeration, they are THE worst, no argument), and I am still firm Daniel Jones is not a Top 20 QB. Barkley faced an inhumane # of stacked boxes. Still 1300 yards and 4.4 ypc. 

There is no loyalty in this game. Players are not loyal to teams and teams are not loyal to players. It’s the name of the game. Just like real life. No company is loyal to you. And if you are loyal to any company, you’re a fool. 

That’s the issue I have with some posters on here, there should be zero emotional attachment to any player. You’re rooting for the team. 

Don’t put your perspective on here and act like that’s law. Players and coaching staff, you know guys that matter have labeled him a leader. 

it’s not about emotion, it’s about paying a top player on your team in his prime. If we are not going to pay Jacobs I rather just draft a RB. Can’t let go of the league leader in his prime, to hand a bag over to another guy with injury issues, from another locker room. That’s not how it works, this isn’t Amazon. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Geezy said:

Don’t put your perspective on here and act like that’s law.

That’s just what he does, all the time.  He’s adopted the “Patriot Way” of posting years ago.  

I love the distorting of reality here.  Yeah you don’t pay for past production… Jacobs was paid for the work he did those seasons… valid point… but just cuz you throw out that saying doesn’t mean he’s not capable of continuing production.

Personally, I’d pay Jacobs 12-13M annually with 2 years guaranteed.  Maybe some small dead cap in Year 3 such as a roster bonus that guarantees day 3 of the league year… serving as an option bonus.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Geezy said:

Look at the reports of guys being unhappy about cutting our damn Long Snapper. 

Yeah, why did we do that?  I don’t get that one… you have a trio of P, K, LS that’s worked well together for years and then you cut the LS for “your guy”.  I didn’t like that move.

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Idk who you work for, but the job I have is incredibly loyal to its workers.  They took me right out of the joint, busted my behind to see what I was about for 4 straight years, and then built me up to a multiple 6 figure paycheck (with commissions).  I nearly died 2 months ago and they’re allowing me to stay out at the busiest time of the year until I’m back to health.  Maybe I’m a fool, but I’ve never been done wrong… i worked for every penny and then some but I’m very happy with where I work.  And I’m not the only one, they’ve promoted and helped many legal immigrants become citizens.  
Not to say the place isn’t a wild, insane place at times but at the end of the day it’s a rather large family business that treats its workers well.

Culture is everything at work.  If you don’t have leaders you don’t have nothing.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, BayRaider said:

lol a team with Jimmy G and Barkley, we just trying to give ourselves another time to rebuild with the injury excuse?

Id honestly be fine with it, on the off chance they dont get injured youve got a great RB and a QB who can keep a D honest and move the chains. IF they do get hurt which i believe is likely, you secure another top pick

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah, why did we do that?  I don’t get that one… you have a trio of P, K, LS that’s worked well together for years and then you cut the LS for “your guy”.  I didn’t like that move.

Felt like a move just to make a move. STs has been our best unit for the last couple years. 

Between Barkley and Jacobs, I'd pay neither big bucks. 

The past production, for me, is relative. 

For me, they play positions that are becoming increasingly easy to fill, are both often injured or nicked up, and RBs virtually never live up to big contracts- arguably worse than WRs at doing so. 

We've got plenty of RBs and could even drop a couple and add another by about this time next year. Frankly, I'd be trying to sucker someone into trading for Jacobs ASAP. Thank him for his services and let him go. The Titans tried to build their franchise around a RB far superior to Jacobs (and when you're talking prime Derrick Henry, that's not an insult) and we see how it worked out. 

Besides, if there is one thing McDaniels has a knack for, it's squeezing blood from a turnip when it comes to RB production. Giving Jacibs a big contract or signing a different RB to one is just a play on emotions, imo.