2023 NFL Draft

Crimmage

Regarding Flowers, I wonder what he would have run in the 40 if he hadn't gained 15 pounds before the combine. He must have been a mid 4.3 guy.. but even after putting on all that muscle he is still 4.42 which is plenty fast for the slot. O'Brien apparently spent extensive time with him over the first couple days of the Shrine Bowl going over the Patriots plays.. if he liked what he saw, I wouldn't be surprised if they go for him at 14 and don't look back. 

JSN's hamstring worry's me a little bit... same with his long speed.. but his tape speaks for itself. He may not be elite on every team but he's a 1200 yard receiver on the Patriots.. maybe even as a rookie. 

Both of those guys would be immediate impact players. Do they make you an elite receiver group, no.. but they are a dramatic improvement. Give me Flowers and one of the better TE's in this draft and I'm feeling good heading into the season. I was really against WR for awhile.. but I'm coming around to the idea of taking a WR in the first. 

The only guy who I feel can make as much of an impact, albeit probably not day 1 is Marvin Mims.. he's going to be special. Unfortunately at Oklahoma he didn't have an extensive route tree so he is more of a project. 

13 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I was really against WR for awhile.. but I'm coming around to the idea of taking a WR in the first.

I agree to a point.  Flowers is my #1 WR however I don't see the value at 14. Trade down or you have to regrettably have to pass. 

I have mentioned the two players I would take at 14, Nolan Smith or Christian Gonzalez, if both are gone, I'm screaming trade down. Note these are the only two I go on the defensive side of the ball in the 1st RD.  That's unless someone falls in the draft.  Lets say Carter or Tyree Wilson

However lets say the Pats don't trade. The guy I take at 14 is Darnell Wright.  I don't care what the Bucky's say, I want the closes thing to a sure bet, IMO it's Wright. The worse, he's a RT for the next 10+ years, with luck he's a LT 10+. 

I see him getting better with full time training.

Talk about mixed emotions, pissed they didn't trade down but like the player they picked !!!!! 

PS ---- Another reason I hated the Strange pick.

Total risk for a 1st RD pick. IMO another miss in the draft, especially in the 1ST round.

Edited by m haynes

16 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I’ve not really been keeping up with this class, but could it be considered a very weak class relatively? Across the board 

There's only one position of strength in the draft that worth a damn ...CBs.  Some say TE, but there are only 5/6 !!!!

OL  ----  big risk on 99% of the players.

WR  ------ Just two have elite talent.

IMO  after the 8th pick the talent drops significantly.

Sorry  Forgot RBs but who the heck cares they are a dime a dozen.

Edited by m haynes

30 minutes ago, m haynes said:

There's only one position of strength in the draft that worth a damn ...CBs.  Some say TE, but there are only 5/6 !!!!

OL  ----  big risk on 99% of the players.

WR  ------ Just two have elite talent.

IMO  after the 8th pick the talent drops significantly.

Sorry  Forgot RBs but who the heck cares they are a dime a dozen.

What do you think of Lukas Van Ness?

39 minutes ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

There’s some stuff to like about LVN. 

6’5” 270lbs

1.64 10 yard split

Total pressures created the last two seasons … 71

Only enigma about him… he never started a game at Iowa 👀

Never started?! 

well I didn’t know that. Based on just tape (which is obviously cherry picked highlights) he looks really good, to me.

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Never started?! 

well I didn’t know that. Based on just tape (which is obviously cherry picked highlights) he looks really good, to me.

Yep, didn’t start a single game over 3 years at Iowa.

However, he did play the 2nd most snaps amongst their DL last season. Odd statistic for sure… But he definitely does look the part! I’m just not sure, personally, if I could take him in the top half of round 1 and be enamored with it. Trade down and grab him would make me feel much better than stamping his time card at pick 14.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What do you think of Lukas Van Ness?

He has everything you could look for Tape, size, physical ability.  Also at the combine they talk about is hockey background. He's hockey tough.

2 hours ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

Only enigma about him… he never started a game at Iowa 👀

Don't concern yourself. The coach is a BB clone. He does dumb ask crap, that leaves you scratching your head. " Look at me see what a genus I am !!!!!

1 hour ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

I’m just not sure, personally, if I could take him in the top half of round 1 and be enamored with it.

I would normally disagree with you however this year there is just so much that has to be done, you don't have the luxury taking him.  DL is the least of our worries and there is to many more important needs to fill. EX OT wright might be a 9 rating and Ness is a 10, close so you go for need. 

Who ever drafts him will get a stud. To bad we are such a mess we can't afford the luxury.

3 minutes ago, m haynes said:

He has everything you could look for Tape, size, physical ability.  Also at the combine they talk about is hockey background. He's hockey tough.

Don't concern yourself. The coach is a BB clone. He does dumb ask crap, that leaves you scratching your head. " Look at me see what a genus I am !!!!!

I would normally disagree with you however this year there is just so much that has to be done, you don't have the luxury taking him.  DL is the least of our worries and there is to many more important needs to fill. EX OT wright might be a 9 rating and Ness is a 10, close so you go for need. 

Who ever drafts him will get a stud. To bad we are such a mess we can't afford the luxury.

Just read about the concerns that Dawand totally shut him down? I didn’t see it, it’s just coming from the edge thread over at draft

not surprised that the same poster who doesn’t rate the Watts highly doesn’t like LVN

he won’t be a Pat, but I like his tape and explosiveness 

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

@Hunter2_1there are many players in this draft that are capable of being great and even more that are going to be competitive starters for a while. like any draft it’s a matter of picking them out.

for receiver, it really isnt an impressive draft to take someone in the first round. idc what the consensus says about guys like flowers, jsn, or qjohnson. its a GOOD thing that this class has a lot of value on day three of the draft between rounds 4 and 5. plenty.

i dislike the way people characterize entire drafts as either weak or strong. every draft carries a lot of opportunity and more than enough players to choose from who can become meaningful contributors.

Edited by DoleINGout
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

@Hunter2_1there are many players in this draft that are capable of being great and even more that are going to be competitive starters for a while. like any draft it’s a matter of picking them out.

for receiver, it really isnt an impressive draft to take someone in the first round. idc what the consensus says about guys like flowers, jsn, or qjohnson. its a GOOD thing that this class has a lot of value on day three of the draft between rounds 4 and 5. plenty.

i dislike the way people characterize entire drafts as either weak or strong. every draft carries a lot of opportunity and more than enough players to choose from who can become meaningful contributors.

Entirely fair post 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'm seeing a lot of "BB wouldn't let Christian Gonzalez slide", "Christian Gonzalez is what the Pats need".

Having that?

1st  He's a fantastic player. I have no problems taking him at 14. What I don't like is that we stink at others positions ... desperate needs OT and WR.  

You can look at CG as a luxury pick in a way, but damn he would help!!!! Do you trade down they need quality assets in the first two RDs.  I would use the picks to go after Flower or JSN and Wright.

I mentioned earlier there are only two players I take at 14, CG and Nolan Smith.

That's if no one falls like Parsons did in 2021.