2023 NFL Draft

Crimmage

On 2/13/2023 at 3:22 PM, Crimmage said:

When it comes to TE here is where I am for the Patriots: 

2nd Round: 

• Dalton Kincaid ( Won't happen but I can still imagine it) 
  • Darnell Washington ( it's underplayed how much they will probably fall in love with him) 

3rd Round: 

• Tucker Kraft (The combine could have him in the 2nd round if he tests like a crazy athlete) 
  • Sam LaPorta (Solid TE) 

Day 3: 

• Cameron Latu ( Alabama Connection)
  • Payne Durham ( Huge Senior Bowl, hasn't played the position that long, not elite athlete but good upside) 
  • Zack Kuntz ( Good athlete) 

Barker sound like he is a late day 3 / UDFA type guy. Given the disfunction there last year, he sounds like a guy who would be worth signing as a UDFA and keeping him on the practice squad for a year. This TE class is stacked. 

You forced me to go heavy into Jayden Reed this past month haha. I find it fascinating that he was actually as productive as he was given the situation. So many contested catches and poorly thrown balls. The benefit he has there is the fact that he probably has way more experience making difficult catches, because he had to make at least 1-2 every week. 

At least the routes I've seen so far, he doesn't have the tightest route running. Like I remember him running an out route and listing outward 3-4 yards while he went to the sideline putting himself closer to coverage. Those are the types of things the Patriots would hate, I remember they were big on the " when i say 5 yards, it's 5 yards" type things. I also wish I saw more twitchy route over the middle, he makes guys miss.. but is he going to be able to do some Edelman style routes where he breaks a guys ankles in the middle of the field then catches a critical 3rd down? 

I really look forward to seeing him at the combine. I want to see his agility drills even more than his 40 that everyone is worried about. 

To me, this draft is all about double dipping at positions that are a strength in the draft.. which also happen to be major weaknesses on the roster. 

• OT 
  • Slot WR
  • CB
  • TE
  • Special Teams ( Punter and Kicker) 

I would be totally happy if they left this draft exclusively drafting from those positions (assuming they get LB's in free agency).

touching back on this slightly 

6 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Anthony Richardson or bust 2023

I think he's going to surprise people and easily go top 10. 

Seattle at 5

Detriot at 6

Vegas at 7

Falcons at 8

Panthers at 9 

No chance he makes it out of that gauntlet of teams. This is even assuming Irsay doesn't go scotched earth and trade up to 1 and draft him. 

I think that Detroit would be a great place for him. Good OL, Great receivers, good RB,etc. They even have the option of letting him sit a bit. 

BB is too old fashioned to want Richardson.. it would take Bill O'Brien forcing it to happen... and I doubt Kraft would want it either.. unless a team offers a 1st or more for Mac. 

Zay Flowers 🔥 Shiftiest WR in College Football ᴴᴰ - YouTube

My favorite WR in the draft. Need a trade down to make it happen. Starts at 20

Top Three

Jaxon Smith-Njigba COMPLETE Ohio State Highlights (2020-2022)

2nd guy. He's a (all pro) slot IMO however trade down, Starts at 25.

Tennessee WR Jalin Hyatt 2022 Highlights 🍊 ᴴᴰ

3rd guy. He is a game breaker however there is some risk.  Any where in the 2nd. Trade up if you need to get him.

2nd  Round

Jordan Addison 🔥 Best WR in College Football ᴴᴰ

All around good WR however I don't see the fear factor. Can play in/out but I see slot mostly.

Nathaniel "Tank" Dell 2022 Highlights | Houston WR | 2023 NFL Draft Prospect

Z Flowers clone!!!!

3rd Round

Tyler Scott || Cincinnati Bearcats Wide Receiver || 2022 Junior Highlights - YouTube

Played with Ritter. Talent is there but he missed Ritter.  Possible steal. Has all the tools .

Xavier Hutchinson || Iowa State Cyclones Wide Receiver || 2022 Senior Highlights - YouTube

This is the way a big man plays WR.  He's smart, usese his size and know what he doing to help QB. Remind me of Micheal Irvin.

4th round

Parker Washington 2022 Highlights | Penn State WR | 2023 NFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

Rakim Jarrett || Maryland Terrapins Wide Receiver || 2022 Junior Highlights - YouTube

Trey Palmer 2022 Nebraska Highlights 🌽 || HD

Jayden Reed Official Michigan State Spartans Highlights ᴴᴰ - YouTube

6 round

Charlie Jones 🔥 Elite Receiver in College Football ᴴᴰ - YouTube

Can play

Elijah Higgins Stanford Highlights - YouTube

Big 5 star recruit. WR or add lbs HB . He can play

Frank Ladson Jr highlights - YouTube

Played with Lawrence at Clemson. Than transferred. Maybe hidden talent. Size light on his feet.

7 round       ---- Here's  my sleeper !!!!!!

Keylon Stokes Senior Season Highlights-Tulsa WR-2022-2023 CFB Season - YouTube

Big numbers. Dominates at his level. Shows WR skills. It all about the speed/quickness ??????

The guy everyone is sleeping on !! |Trea Shropshire| UAB wide receiver - YouTube

There could be something there down the road. Size and speed and athletic.

That it so far.  Also I don't care where the Bucky's grade these players.

This is where I would take them. Based on what I have seen and read. I look for traits that translates. Also major, does it look like he knows what he's doing and have the skills needed for the NFL.

EX  Hutchington  He look like he game ready day one. 

Edited by m haynes

On 2/20/2023 at 4:27 PM, m haynes said:

3rd Round

Tyler Scott || Cincinnati Bearcats Wide Receiver || 2022 Junior Highlights - YouTube

Played with Ritter. Talent is there but he missed Ritter.  Possible steal. Has all the tools .

He's very interesting as a player. He is a less polished, bigger Zay Flowers. He is probably only an inch taller but more importantly has 10-15 pounds on him. 

Everyone talks about how Zay played only outside but has to become a slot guy.. Scott played even less in the slot than Flowers. His routes were pretty basic, I'm not sure he would be able to handle a fancy slot route tree here day 1.. but you could probably mix him in with Bourne in the slot and do the whole route tree. He could also play some Z as long as he isn't dealing with much press coverage. 

He's part of the reason why I'm feeling better about not going WR in the first one. He has 4.2 speed, if you're getting him in the 3rd / 4th that's a lot of potential. If he runs a 4.2 I think he's a 2nd rounder. 

Xavier Hutchinson || Iowa State Cyclones Wide Receiver || 2022 Senior Highlights - YouTube

This is the way a big man plays WR.  He's smart, usese his size and know what he doing to help QB. Remind me of Micheal Irvin.

I like him, especially his attitude and contested catch ability. My only concern with him is speed. I want to see how he does at the combine. I don't remember Irvin.. but I think he would project similar to Meyers in the Patriots offense.. don't think he will be elite unless he's a monster contested catch guy or faster than he looks. 

I ignore all Penn State

I need to watch more of him. Apparently he was seen as baby Deebo by many last year.. but suddenly became a forgotten guy. He's a tough guy, I want to see how he tests too. 

I think he can also be an inside / outside guy. Want to see how he runs at the combine.. but if he's a solid 4.4 guy then he's a good option too. 

Yup, told you that awhile ago :P I want to see how he tests as well. If he runs a 4.3 like Nagy thinks then he's going to jump up the board given his production. 

Elijah Higgins Stanford Highlights - YouTube

Big 5 star recruit. WR or add lbs HB . He can play

He's huge, if he checks in at close to 240 he's basically a TE 

7 round       ---- Here's  my sleeper !!!!!!

Keylon Stokes Senior Season Highlights-Tulsa WR-2022-2023 CFB Season - YouTube

Big numbers. Dominates at his level. Shows WR skills. It all about the speed/quickness ??????

He doesn't look at fast in the clip, do you know if he's going to the combine?

My current favorite WR's before the combine are: (not including anyone I consider a 1st rounder, because I don't think they take a 1st round WR) 

• Tyler Scott (2nd/3rd)
    • speed slot, him and Thornton on the field together is pretty nuts
  • Marvin Mims (3rd/4th)
    • Fast, contested catch monster, he would be fun in the slot
  • Jayden Reed (3rd/4th) 
    • Inside, outside potential, seems to have great agility
  • Charlie Jones (4th/5th) 
    • If he runs well, I see him as a day 1 starter in the slot. High floor guy but could have a ceiling if he actually runs a 4.3. 
  • Demario Douglas (6th)
    • Shrine Bowl Guy, want to see how he tests but I see him as a day 3 guy they will have a close eye on 
  • Bryce Ford-Wheaton (6th) 
    • Shrine Bowl Guy, got DK Metcalf lite comps, if he runs a 4.3 at 6'4 I would be very interested in adding him as a project player

I really like the 3rd round for a receiver in this class .. both at WR and TE. Trading back / up to get an extra 3rd would be a very good idea imo. 

I think if you get one of each of these guys you're in great shape offensively ( assuming they draft OT other rounds) 

WR ( Tyler Scott / Jayden Reed / Marvin Mims) 

TE ( Tucker Kraft / Sam LaPorta / Darnell Washington) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

My favorite part is the fact that I have no idea who he is... just like draft days! lol

Same, lol.

Probably a silly question, but… with the Stallions selecting him in the 8th round of the USFL draft, if he opts to not sign with them in order to pursue a career in the NFL… Does that USFL team just retain his rights?

Trade down, any cornerback besides Kelee Ringo, or offensive tackle in round 1 is all I’m dreaming for.

Adding in that Bill O’Brien cooking with Mac and ‘Mondre gives me enough faith on offense to ease my woes *some* for the whole side of that ball. Can’t wait to see development and fireworks, and above all, efficiency.

19 hours ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

Same, lol.

Probably a silly question, but… with the Stallions selecting him in the 8th round of the USFL draft, if he opts to not sign with them in order to pursue a career in the NFL… Does that USFL team just retain his rights?

That's a really interesting question. 

A bunch of guys were drafted who could be late round picks. The contract they sign will matter a lot for this. 

1. How long do they have to sign after being picked? Most rookies in the NFL draft don't sign for months.. so all these guys I assume can still go to the combine and see where their draft projections are
  2. How long is the USFL season? Does it go into the NFL season? What would they miss playing in the USFL? Is it just rookie mini camp? Or are they actually missing a lot? 
  3. I wonder if the contract has an out where guys can leave at any time for the NFL.. i know that could hurt teams .. but it also helps the product getting those guys in the first place.. it's def a catch 22

16 hours ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

Trade down, any cornerback besides Kelee Ringo, or offensive tackle in round 1 is all I’m dreaming for.

Adding in that Bill O’Brien cooking with Mac and ‘Mondre gives me enough faith on offense to ease my woes *some* for the whole side of that ball. Can’t wait to see development and fireworks, and above all, efficiency.

If Ringo is available in the 2nd, I think I'm taking that risk given his potential and the fact that the coaching staff is amazing with DB's. Worse case scenario I think he could play FS to mask most of his issues. I agree with you though on not taking him in the first. 

Who is your #3 CB? I've spent so much time looking at 3rd/4th round CB's that I haven't seen much of other guys. 

If the top 3 LT are gone, CB is the logical next position to go for.. simply for the fact that BB defenses seem to thrive with a true #1 CB. If Gonzalez / Witherspoon are both gone though.. I don't really like anyone at 14, so I would be trying to trade back as far as possible. The next grouping of guys I would consider are in the 20-25 range: 

• Anton Harrison, LT 
    • He's really young and kind of a project.. but probably worth the risk if you trust Klemm in that 25-30 range. Needs to put on some muscle to handle power guys similar to Cole Strange. 
  • Dawand Jones, OT
    • If they think he can play LT, I draft him in that 20-30 range all day.. I just have a hard time drafting a RT that high when they've historically found guys to play RT pretty easily. Lots of teams want a really athletic OT and they usually are good with a huge mauler at RT who falls to the 6th
  • Joey Porter, CB
    • I just don't trust as a #1 for some reason
  • Deonte Banks, CB
    • A big CB, he's an option but I haven't watched much on him
  • Dalton Kincaid, TE
    • I still love him, no matter how unlikely it is that they draft a TE. if you trade back to 25-30 and get a haul, I think I would take him over any WR in the first as a chess piece
  • Emmanuel Forbes, CB
    • He's a ball hawk, I could see them falling in love with him

This draft isn't really stacked with talent in the first sadly. If the top 3 LT and top 2 CB are gone.. that's a pretty disappointing draft tbo. I'd be happy if they took a WR, sure.. but I just find it highly unlikely that they do given how good some of those day 2/3 guys are imo. A large factor is that they have a million picks this year and are unlikely to get any comp picks next year if they spend money in free agency. 

Would a team be crazy enough to do something like 25 and a 2024 1st for 14? I would do that all day .. I would probably even do 14 for 25, a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year to start stockpiling picks for next draft.