2023 NFL Draft

Crimmage

27 minutes ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

Jack Colletto received a lot of praise from Oregon State fans as well. Took snaps at FB and LB. If BOB brings back the FB position, which he likely will, I think Colletto will be a target more for the offense rather than defense.

He seemed to do very well at the Shrine Bowl. I'll be interested in seeing how he tests. He is more of a move TE / FB which is someone they could want. 

The funny thing is they could easily draft both Henry and Smiths replacements in this draft. 

• Like 1

if we go after a straight up tight end, Sam LaPorta is my choice. We don’t get him if we don’t target that area by round 4 or so.

But, you’re right on the succession of Henry and Smith. I believe Jonnu’s contract extends one year further at that position than Hunter Henry’s does.

Either way, a plan needs to be in place.

We all remember how rough it was when we banked on Devin Asiasi and Dalton Keene taking over right away…

Edited by DaPatsKid98

3 minutes ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

if we go after a straight up tight end, Sam LaPorta is my choice. We don’t get him if we don’t target that area by round 4 or so.

But, you’re right on the succession of Henry and Smith. I believe Jonnu’s contract extends one year further at that position than Hunter Henry’s does.

Either way, a plan needs to be in place.

We all remember how rough it was when we banked on Devin Asiasi and Dalton Keene taking over right away…

Yup, it would be a mistake to not draft at least one TE this draft. 

Henry can be cut this year and save 10M, otherwise he is a free agent after this season. I doubt they will cut him for the money.. but I could see him being traded in camp if a team has their starting TE get injured. 

Jonnu Smith they restructured last year so he isn't getting cut till next year when he's on the final year of his deal. I think they would actually lose cap space getting rid of him now. 

I'm meh on Mayer/Musgrave. Not worth the high pick imo. 

2nd Round

- Dalton Kincaid ( 30-40 range, Travis Kelce style TE) 

- Darnell Washington ( 40-60, Gronk style TE .. I can see them falling in love with him at 46)

3rd Round

- Sam LaPorta (he seems like a good TE2 to me .. but he doesn't wow me at all) 

- Tucker Kraft (Great athlete, do it all guy, injury concerns, small school competition) 

Day 3

- Luke Schoonmaker ( All around TE, didn't get a lot of chances to catch, seems like a good secondary TE) 

- Cameron Latu ( Hunter Henry replacement, Bill O'Brien could want him due to familiarity) 

- Zach Kuntz ( Day 3 Tucker Kraft) 

- Daniel Barker / Blake Whiteheart ( Shrine Bowl guys, depth TE .. wouldn't expect much) 

Darnell Washington and Tucker Kraft feel like the guys they would fall in love with imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

If they really want that type of RB, Travis Dye in the 6th/7th or Tyjae Spears in the 4th. You can't have a 170lb RB and expect him to hold up in pass protection. 

You can't have a 5'8" CB  kicking ask!!!! Jones says Hi.

Also not a fan of Travis Dye however Spears heck Ya. 

1 hour ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

Sam LaPorta is my choice.

@DaPatsKid98Back off that's my guy!!!!😁🤣

I will start off, I love Iowa TEs, they must have a great TE coach, big plus with me, coaching.  His tape is impressive and he come from a team that's boring and runs the ball, meaning he can block as well. We are loaded with 4th RD picks which is right where they say he comes off the board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

Jack Colletto received a lot of praise from Oregon State fans as well. Took snaps at FB and LB. If BOB brings back the FB position, which he likely will, I think Colletto will be a target more for the offense rather than defense.

Also he about the same size as J Smith, 9 lbs lighter. Makes Smith expendable, Colletto just needs to show up to be better than Smith!!!!

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Sam LaPorta (he seems like a good TE2 to me .. but he doesn't wow me at all)

Because he plays for Iowa. BB buddy Frans something ,  if you can believe it,  is "more" boring than his mentor!!!!!!

Also don't for get the OHS TE Cade Stover  late or UDFA

Edited by m haynes

Guys who I'm hearing about so far on day 2: 

- Kyu Blu Kelly, CB: Man corner, he was up and down yesterday but seems to have had a great day today .. I think he's going to end up in the 3rd when it's all said and done.

- Sydney Brown, FS: I'm almost sad he's doing so well. I thought he would be a steal in the 4th/5th. He could end up going in the late 2nd at this point

- Cody Mauch - Played LT, LG, C RG .. seemed to do great everywhere. Still probably best at OG

- Jayden Reed - He's still doing well, maybe he ends up in that 4th round range after this week? He was a 6th/7th projection a week ago

- Christopher Smith, FS

Edited by Crimmage

Separation is elite, he has to make some of those catches though. I'm still feeling like early 2nd is a reach for him. 

Another FS candidate. Probably a 3rd round guy. 

Happy to see that Winters is making some plays. He's a good developmental guy on day 3 if they are ok with a small LB.

Pass Protection gets you drafted by the Patriots 

I'm doing my best to not jump on the Reed bandwagon when I didn't know him 2 days ago.. but he's really been doing a great job not only getting open but catching everything coming his way. He doesn't look like a guy with elite speed but he's got some moves. 

I know this is how i feel almost every draft, but i'm all for trading back and stockpiling picks this draft and next. Trade 14 for 25 and a future 1st.. or even 25, a 3rd and a future 2nd.  You're going to be able to get an OT in the 20's and at this moment I'm ok with it being a LT or RT, as long as they are a day 1 starter with potential ( Jones / Jones / Wright)

When the Patriots are on the board at 46 I would try to call the 49ers and see if they want to move up. They only have 3rd round comp picks.. but I would 100% trade 46 for 99,101, and 102 in this draft.  The 49ers are in win now mode, so I could see it being possible that they want a guy who is more ready to contribute. The counter argument would be they have so many stars that they need to get more cheap contracts.. but it seems like they don't care about picks so who knows.

Edited by Crimmage
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

make some of those catches though

What's the word on hands?  He's off the board if this was a problem during his career.

20 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Pass Protection gets you drafted by the Patriots 

Kenny McIntosh is moving up my board.

He's not just a 3rd RD back.  He's exactly what we need with Stevenson. Harris goes, he steps right in day one.  I don't care what the Buckys say, this kid should be rated much higher.  Look at the teams he played against and excelled. He was not blocking 9 to 5 guys in college. Big time player.

Note  I would not sign Harris. He is the same type back as Steve. You need a Kenny type. Block , run and catch like White. He the perfect back in today's NFL.

29 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Reed bandwagon

I heard the name before this draft, like 1/2 years ago. I wrote him off " didn't waste time looking him up"  I saw the rating and I thought, trouble maker, injury , how does he drop so far. Well, @DaPatsKid98 opened my eyes with his glowing comments and I'm off to the races to find more on Reed.

Of course, I will take full credit when he picked by the Pats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😁🤣

• Like 1

Here are some guy that popped off of highlight videos.

Who the heck is this guy? I haven't heard anything on him, He strictly a slot but wow, he jumps of the screen, reminds me of Crazy Jules !!!

Parker Washington 2022 Highlights | Penn State WR | 2023 NFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

Another small guy but would fill in nicely as a slot WR.

Rakim Jarrett || Maryland Terrapins Wide Receiver || 2022 Junior Highlights - YouTube

TE  That looks natural catching the ball. Not sure but @Crimmagemight of mentioned him.

Luke Musgrave 2022 Oregon State Season Highlights - YouTube

Look at the size 6'3 however it a player that can actually play the WR spot. Imprssive, on my list . Flowers and this guy perfect picks that complement.

Xavier Hutchinson || Iowa State Cyclones Wide Receiver || 2022 Senior Highlights - YouTube

I love this guy. He short 6'4 266 however he is natural around the corner, completely opposite of Perkin last years pick, 20lb heavier, loves the game, you can see that clearly and he's a captain.

Isaiah McGuire 2022 Highlights | Missouri EDGE | 2023 NFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

Safety's/ LBs 

Possible replacemnt at Free safety. Fluid and will make the tackle

Julius Brents Kansas State Career Highlights - YouTube

Another must have for me LB/S. Loves to hit, can cover and tackle. Box safety. Should be there in the later rounds.

Jalen Graham - Purdue LB/S Highlights - YouTube

This is one of the best video I have seen on a so call sleeper/ development player!!!!! He's shows everything needed for the Pats. Watch 50, 150,  mark, you kidding me. What we could do with this guy. Box safety at 6'2 234 !!!!!! Play him all over. I can't believe this tape !!!!!!!!  He plays light a crazed dog !!!!

Daiyan Henley 2022 Highlights | Washington State LB | 2023 NFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

The other Georgia safety, they have mention Smith a lot. Whats up with this guy???? Nice tape, easy to check, just pull up NT games !!!!!!

Latavious Brini Highlights - YouTube

Box safety, he know how to play the game. This is a guy that will be over looked and play for the next 10 years. He's like the Bill LB Milano.

John Torchio 2022 Mix - YouTube

I can't get a handle on this guy, but I can't stop watching, trying to figure out if he can play. Maybe a UDFA. that plays  ST for 10+ years.  He look like a 9 to 5 guy but he can play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still shaking my head.

christian young arizona - YouTube

Christian Young Arizona Safety 2021 Season Highlights - YouTube