2023 NFL Draft

Crimmage

On 1/21/2023 at 9:19 AM, m haynes said:

Quentin Johnston WR TCU

Bust alert !!!!!    College star he game won't translate at the NFL level

Agreed, if you just want a big guy who can make 50/50 balls.. give me Perry in the 3rd/4th

Kelee Ringo CB Georgia

Bust alert !!!!!   Inside of the box only, product of Bull dogs front seven. I look at him, play box S

Hell no to 14, but if he is there somehow in the 2nd.. I'm taking that chance ONLY because of this coaching staff. He probably ends up as a safety but he has the tools to be an elite player. I just think he's incredibly over hyped. 

Joey Porter Jr. CB  Penn State
  Bust alert !!!!!    I wouldn't take him no matter what RD, bust

Idk about bust, but from what I've seen he is meh to me. He has insane length though which they will like. 

Cam Smith CB South Carolina

Flaws in game. Look at him 3rd RD.

Haven't seen him but South Carolina CB's tend to be good if they are ranked highly (Gilmore)

O'Cyrus Torrence IOL Florida

Gator enough said. Nope

a first round IOL... why do you hate me so much

Anton Harrison  OT Oklahoma

3RD< talent

No chance he makes it to the 3rd .. he's a back half of the 1st round guy.. MAYBE first 5 picks of the second round. I think he's a solid but unspectacular player. He seems very much like a guy who will perform well most weeks but when you've got a big matchup you'll need to give him help. Kind of like Matt Light, a solid player for a long time but def not elite. If you got him in Matt Light range (48) that's a great pick.  

Noah Sewell LB  Oregon

Bust alert !!!!!   I don't see it at the next level, 5th rd maybe.

He has potential, I don't think he would be a bust if he comes to the Patriots. They would know how to use him. He is very much a Bentley pick.. I see him going 4th/5th. 

Rashee Rice
WR | SMU

Bust, size 50/50 crap. Harry's game. No thanks

I want to see how he does at the combine. I think he's faster than you think. My issue with him is drops.

Gervon Dexter DL Florida

Gator enough said. Nope

I think you might be sleeping on this guy. He is massive and powerful.. if you have him and Barmore on the line together, you will destroy opposing OL's. Especially with how highly they think of Covington, I think they can get the most out of him. If you can get him in the 2nd, I think you have to.. he and Barmore can be ELITE together for a long time. 

Dawand Jones OT Ohio State

To big and slow for the NFL. Now if he lost 50LB !!!!

I agree, I'm not taking him in the 1st.. but if he is there in the 3rd.. I think he's totally worth it. 

ADDED     Players I'm on the fence with.  Need to see more.

Jordan Addison WR USC

This is where things get interesting.. if they are focused on a WR in the first round, I think they play it like this. 

14 arrives and both WR's are on the board.. they trade back to 20-23ish and get one of Addison/JSN while picking up an extra 3rd round pick. They are going to see them as similar players, maybe even like Addison more because they like their HC. I would go JSN every time though personally. 

Andre Carter II EDGE Army  Well I knew it was only a matter of time. BB take's a complete risk at  14, new mock draft.  I don't care if he turn's out to be LTaylor. I would fire BB right in the draft room before he made the pick. 

No thanks, i know you should go BPA but way too many good picks at 14 in positions of need. 

Josh Downs WR North Carolina

He's apparently not a great route runner which could hurt him.. and I've read concerns about his breakaway speed. The combine is going to be really big for 3 WR's imo.. Josh Downs, Zay Flowers, and Nathaniel Dell. If they crush the combine, they are going to fly up draft boards Downs/Flowers late first to early second and Dell going from maybe the 4th to the 2nd. I almost feel like Dell is the guy for them because they will see him as a similar player at better value, but a 165lb slot is scary small. 

Henry To'oTo'o LB  Alabama

He is all over the board.. if he is there in the 4th i'm all for it, otherwise give me Dee Winters (I'd take both tbo)

After reading Karen / Andrew's article this morning.. I've switched up my belief on Trent Brown dramatically. Especially if Klemm is hired, I think it's more likely that he is extended another year instead of cut. This offense and especially the offensive line was such a mess that it seems nearly impossible to judge anyone. I think they will see that they have larger needs and not go LT in the first round. This makes me much more comfortable drafting someone to sit behind Trent for 1-2 years. 

• Jaelyn Duncan (60-100)
  • Blake Freeland (60-100)
  • Jaxson Kirkland (100-150)

Other than Broderick Jones I don't love the LT's .. so if you can avoid reaching for a guy I'm all for it. Grab a developmental guy in the 3rd and you'll be in good shape. 

It will be interesting to see what they do with RT though.. they could go in a lot of directions there. Free Agents will be expensive, but they have the money, they could certainly go that route. If you're hiring an OL coach and paying him top dollar you may want to go entirely in the draft though. Day 2 you can find a guy who starts for you right away: 

• Darnell Wright (25-50)
  • Dawand Jones (50-100)
  • Ryan Hayes (100-150)
  • McClendon Curtis (150-250)
  • Warren McClendon (150-250)

I think they could fall in love with a shrine bowl guy too for RT and have them compete with Stueber and a 1yr deal veteran.

Imagine a scenario where the Colts don't take a QB at 4, then trade 35 and a future 1st for 14 to take Richardson. 

35 -> Dalton Kincaid, TE (Day 1 Starter at TE with Henry Cut)

45 -> Josh Downs, Slot WR (Day 1 Starter in Slot with Meyers gone, may need to trade up 5 picks or so to get him but pushed back slightly by rise of Flowers)

76 -> Dawand Jones, RT (Day 1 Starter at RT)

107 ->Kyu Blu Kelly, CB (#3 CB and future starter)

117 -> Jaxson Kirkland, LT (Backup LT with future starter potential)

135 -> DJ Turner, CB (Speed/Size/Experience at CB)

192-> Dee Winters, LB (Speed LB)

210 -> Jaiden Woodbey, S/LB (Local guy they will see at shrine bowl)

233 -> Travis Dye, RB (3rd down back, injury and depth pushes him down, great value, shrine bowl guy)

259 -> A kicker / punter would be nice

9 hours ago, Crimmage said:

This offense and especially the offensive line was such a mess that it seems nearly impossible to judge anyone.

I have been screaming this for months.  Blame anyone but BB is foolish. A lot of my friends are Bill we trust guy!! BS!!!

Jaxson Kirkland (100-150)

I see him as a OG, however I like players tha can move to LT in a pinch. Added value.

-------------------------

Here are two guys I would add

JD DiRenzo        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S58sE6Y-nm0

Connor Galvin     Connor Galvin Offensive Tackle Baylor | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report

-------------------------------

Also check out this 2 year rookie!!!😁        Andrew Stueber Right Tackle Highlights - YouTube

• Darnell Wright (25-50)
  • Dawand Jones (50-100)

I call this hope and prayer!!

You know where I stand on DW  but I have change on Jones. This is the  key, you need to find out if he loves the game.  If so, you draft him and get him in shape at a lower weight. You could have something down the road. Th key his make up. It tough for college kid to eat right.

35 -> Dalton Kincaid, TE (Day 1 Starter at TE with Henry Cut)

This would be a luxury pick if we had Brady and everything in place. I just don't see it. MOF they would go with Washington because they are a running team and we need BLOCKING. I also assume Flowers is 1st RD.  The size and the position is a problem with me on the current Pats

Lets say they drafted DK . I wouldn't take Downs at 45. I would jump all over Hyatt. He clears it out better than any WR in the draft. DK would have the whole field (day) to operate.

All said and done I would take lb Sanders at 35, unless the idiot GM pass on Clark Phillips III . Now if that happens I will be crying with joy!!!!!!

26 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I have been screaming this for months.  Blame anyone but BB is foolish. A lot of my friends are Bill we trust guy!! BS!!!

I used to be that way, unfortunately after last year.. I just can't anymore. He's used up all the passes from winning.. now he needs to make things happen. Thankfully he hired O'Brien, now he needs to get an OL coach. 

I see him as a OG, however I like players tha can move to LT in a pinch. Added value.

I think he can play LT, Shrine Bowl will determine what they think. I want to see if they have him practice at LT. 

-------------------------

Here are two guys I would add

JD DiRenzo        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S58sE6Y-nm0

Never heard of him, Where you find out about him? 

Another Shrine Bowl guy im pretty sure. 

-------------------------------

Also check out this 2 year rookie!!!😁        Andrew Stueber Right Tackle Highlights - YouTube

Loved him coming out.. thought he would go much earlier. I don't think you can depend on him though given that he missed all last year. I'm fine with them not drafting a RT in the top 3 rounds IF they do the following: 

- Sign a stop gap veteran (Mcdermett was surprisingly decent last year) 

- Draft another day 3 RT to compete with Stueber ( I would have fun with Ryan Hayes competing with him) 

You know where I stand on DW  but I have change on Jones. This is the  key, you need to find out if he loves the game.  If so, you draft him and get him in shape at a lower weight. You could have something down the road. Th key his make up. It tough for college kid to eat right.

I agree with you 100%, I'm assuming a legit OL Coach and they interview him at the Senior Bowl / Combine. 

This would be a luxury pick if we had Brady and everything in place. I just don't see it. MOF they would go with Washington because they are a running team and we need BLOCKING. I also assume Flowers is 1st RD.  The size and the position is a problem with me on the current Pats

So part of this for me is I really want them to add as much to the offense this year so they can fully evaluate Mac. Give him a great TE, give him a great slot, Parker/Thornton/Bourne.. and an improved OL. At that point, if Mac isn't a guy who you think you can win a championship with... you trade him next offseason and start over. You can't leave any room for excuses/ second guessing on the quarterback position. If I thought I could trade one of those picks for Jerry Jeudy I would.. but I don't think the Broncos trade him. 

That scenario gave you two likely top 15 picks if Mac isn't a franchise guy: 

- Patriots in the 14-15 range if they miss the playoffs

- Colts pick could be anywhere from 5-15 depending on their coach/etc. 

Trade both of those picks.. and you can get whoever the #2 QB is next year (nobody is trading out of 1). If for any reason Mac is the guy, you still have a high 1st rounder from the Colts that you can use to draft a top WR to replace Parker. 

Lets say they drafted DK . I wouldn't take Downs at 45. I would jump all over Hyatt. He clears it out better than any WR in the draft. DK would have the whole field (day) to operate.

I know you love Hyatt.. but I just see him as Thornton. We don't need 2 of the same guy. They are both fast, but we need quick to complement the fast guy.

All said and done I would take lb Sanders at 35, unless the idiot GM pass on Clark Phillips III . Now if that happens I will be crying with joy!!!!!!

Sanders is going to be good, I think he sneaks into the first round like Quay Walker did last year when it's all said and done. 

I've only seen highlights for Clark Phillips.. but he looks legit. My only concern is his size .. you can't have all of your corners under 6ft and be successful, right? 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Never heard of him, Where you find out about him? 

First I'm old and retired and hate winter. Meaning a lot of reading and watching. This is what I do when I trip on someone or here something on a UT.

1. Watch vids.

2. Someone will say a player, look him up someone else  catches my eye.

3. You say this guy, I go looking. Some article mention other players more searching.

I love small school sleeper articles or team like Bama playing low ranked schools, someone will pop !  Its like Minter TCU saw him right to the computer. Disappointed with size so safety nope, skills don't match up, to bad. Low rd yes or ST

I remember watching KY tackle and all I saw was the center.

Maybe I should answer the question LOL!!!

I saw a vid from one of the draft nuts on YT. You know the guys in their basement. There's one guy sitting in the room with exposed insulation it hysterical. but he's good for guys you never hear about showing small school guys, JD was one of the players. My 1st impression, WOW. I 'm not a fan of smalls schools but when you see this guy DESTROY players it catches your interest. Next move is find out his size, and if lucky drill numbers.  He look liked frigging John Hannah the uniform helped as well!!!!!!!!!!!😁

can fully evaluate Mac.

This is the last thing I'm worrying about.  I 99.9% sure he has what it takes. He is incredibly tough. Just think of the crap physically and mentally throw at this young 2nd year QB.  Looking for someone anyone to help what does he get nothing but JUDGE or for that matter the idiot HC. Now look what BB said when ask about Mac being QB next year. Great move hot to lead. This next year should not be if Mac can QB, instead it should be if BB should be shown the door.

2022 could go down as the year that destroyed the Patriots mystique all because of one man out of control ego !!!!

I just see him as Thornton

Here the difference Hyatt has a clue and understand the game. Thornton has same speed but has no idea how to use it. I don't think he really understand the game, something you can't teach. He's plays because he's fast as heck and has at least some catching ability.  Also Hyatt has great hands, Thornton doesn't when he covered, loses concentration.

I've only seen highlights for Clark Phillips.. but he looks legit. My only concern is his size .. you can't have all of your corners under 6ft and be successful, right? 

Nope think today NFL. Speed the game you don't shut guys out you bother them, make it difficult for the QB to find the smaller window.  I see more zone going forward big corner to slow.

Take a look at today WR's in this draft there is one big guy who is so over hyped do to his size be runs A 4.5 !!!!! So what he's down field with some 5'10 guy inside his shirt good luck with making the play. Also closing speed big requirement in zone.  Yes Sauce played well but who did he play?  AFC twice not hard this year with all the injuries.  A CB that plays a good game is now a star!!! That impossible to play that position in today NFL. I'll take 5  Marcus Jone in my back field and be quite content. Tall might win but the windows are small.

Quickly name tall WR that Jones would have some problems with I came up with two, Higgins and mike Williams. Remember it 50/50 balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! perfect pass needed.

Added CP is built like Ty Law... strong.

One more if I recall Higgins only caught two because of his height advantage,. I'll take that.

Edited by m haynes

Clark Phillips  against the best WR and QB in college.

Thing that stood out.

1.  Look at the, " in your shirt" coverage. Who he plays, translate to the NFL.  Move him way up my draft board.

5.  Here's where he loses his footing, speed after falling. 9.40. They all get beat!!!!

This game, they hardly looked his way. I think it was 5 times !!!! Impressive against  QB and WR duo.

Earlier you mentioned finding guys in draft. Well here is a great example. I will lookup Utah defensive roster and check them all out!!!!  Also the USC guy that play on the left side rated highly, I don't waste my time after this game!!! I think I saw one play and his talent, big and slow with limited athletic ability. Off my  board. Andrew Vorhees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dUssCFRRvg

Edited by m haynes

10 hours ago, m haynes said:

Clark Phillips  against the best WR and QB in college.

Assuming they don't care about size.. he will likely be a great value pick up. I'm thinking he probably goes in the mid to late 3rd, right around where Marcus Jones went last year. Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson is the other guy in this draft just like that.. he has great tape, but he is 5'9 and will probably drop to that 3rd/4th round range because of it. I say that because the team could have the same outlook you just had "Why spend 14 on a top CB, when our 5'8 CB only gave up 2 catches to Higgins.. we might as well grab more value in the 3rd and get two first round talents who are small that we coach up". 

If you want to laugh.. imagine a secondary of: 

• Jack Jones (Outside) 5'11
  • Clark Phillips (Outside) 5'10
  • Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson (Outside) 5'9
  • Marcus Jones (Slot) 5'8

SMALL.... but a lot of talent. I add Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson to Phillips mainly because he will be at the Shrine Bowl and is very likely to impress them. They are likely to get at least a 3rd back if they trade down in the first.. so one of those guys is certainly an option. 

Has Phillips played in the slot at all? Another scenario to account for is the team splitting Marcus Jones 50/50 between offense and defense. In that case they would need another slot corner. 

A player who has sort of gotten forgotten lately is Darnell Washington out of Georgia.. months ago he was talked about as a 1st round pick and now everyone's fallen in love with my guy Kincaid. When it's all said and done, he could end up being the 4th TE taken. 

- He's a blocker which BB will love

- If he is there at 46 he will likely be seen as tremendous value 

- He looks kind of slow but it's so hard to judge because of how big he is .. 6'7 270 is an automatic mismatch every week. By comparison, Gronk is 6'6 265 and ran a 4.68 .. that will be something to pay attention to come the combine. 

- His change of direction is clunky given his size, but he seems like a guy you run up the seam or give a limited route tree to and he can perform well

- He has a bit of an injury history like Gronk.. not to his extent but something to note

- We likely never see another Gronk and I would never put that kind of hype on a player.. but if BB really wants to replicate that offense, Darnell Washington and Jonnu Smith is likely the way to do it. 

Given how shallow the top end of the WR class is, I wonder if they go after TE instead. I had been thinking Kincaid/Latu types.. but they could see Washington as a Unicorn type prospect and get enamored by him. 

5 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Assuming they don't care about size.. he will likely be a great value pick up. I'm thinking he probably goes in the mid to late 3rd, right around where Marcus Jones went last year. Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson is the other guy in this draft just like that.. he has great tape, but he is 5'9 and will probably drop to that 3rd/4th round range because of it. I say that because the team could have the same outlook you just had "Why spend 14 on a top CB, when our 5'8 CB only gave up 2 catches to Higgins.. we might as well grab more value in the 3rd and get two first round talents who are small that we coach up". 

If you want to laugh.. imagine a secondary of: 

• Jack Jones (Outside) 5'11
  • Clark Phillips (Outside) 5'10
  • Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson (Outside) 5'9
  • Marcus Jones (Slot) 5'8

SMALL.... but a lot of talent. I add Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson to Phillips mainly because he will be at the Shrine Bowl and is very likely to impress them. They are likely to get at least a 3rd back if they trade down in the first.. so one of those guys is certainly an option. 

Has Phillips played in the slot at all? Another scenario to account for is the team splitting Marcus Jones 50/50 between offense and defense. In that case they would need another slot corner. 

My opinion no problem. That one where he covers in the end zone show the quickness needed. Start a trend revolving CBs. No same look play after play.

Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson is the other guy in this draft just like that.. he has great tape, but he is 5'9 and will probably drop to that 3rd/4th round range because of it.

That's crap. I see the same thing. That's why so many teams GMs stink. They just don't get it. You draft players that can PLAY. Screw size, I'm sick of hearing these guys year after year, telling that size matters. How if you get one, your going all the way !!! You know what happen you end up with Joejuan Williams or at WR Harry.

Can you believe they have THT rated in the3/4 RDs, nuts!!! I love, in your shirt players. I have him middle/later half in the 2nd !!!!!

Added ... don't me wrong size does matter, if he can play as well as a 5'8 player. That why teams hit home run on the likes of M Jones and THT. I pick one and I'm laughing at the suckers!!! You can have your frigging Williams!!

Edited by m haynes

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Can you believe they have THT rated in the3/4 RDs, nuts!!! I love, in your shirt players. I have him middle/later half in the 2nd !!!!!

If I was confident Marcus Jones could hold up to the beating he would take in the slot.. I would honestly transition him full time to offense and just draft 2 corners given how great this draft is. I also believe that Jones doesn't want to be an offensive player, I feel like I heard some interviews where he said something along the lines of " I will do whatever they want to help the team, but I'm a corner"

Here's what I would do if I had the Pats and I could draft.

1. Trade down get Flowers

2. Use draft capital and get two picks in the second. Draft  Dalton Kincaid, Hyatt.

3. Now I get Sam LaPorta in the 3rd. 

4. Followed by Kenny McIntosh in the 4th. or  3rd down RB sleepers such as...

Roschon Johnson Texas backup.

Roschon Johnson 🔥 Backup RB Highlights ᴴᴰ - YouTube

Tyjae Spears    Great hand balance and SPEED!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgnCIclV9U

Hunter Luepke    Your boy but I stole him!!!  Go back to winning football. More blocking and catching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQKNC1yxSYw

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are two guys that I'm trying to get a handle on.

Ja Tarvious Whitlow , played on three teams!!!! Red Flag.  WHY????  Tape wise LOOK OUT!!!!!  2019 TAPE.

JaTarvious Whitlow Official 2019 Auburn Highlights! - YouTube

Jordan Mims, he runs fine however I'm trying to project the runs coming from a pass, unfortunately can't find any tape catching the ball. Read some random comment he's natural in the passing game while ago. Still waiting for vids to show up.

jordan mims highlights - YouTube

----------------------------------------------------------

Remember, 2023 is a building year. I going to fix the damn offense. The defense is fine and I will look at FA for help if needed. 2024 I fix the holes on defense 😁

Here my new guys on offense.

RT FA  Mcginty, whatever!!! from SF.

WRs ----  Flowers, Hyatt and Thornton.

Parker, round out the group. (trying to trade him if I can) , injuries, he's in the way of    the future.

Slot ----- Bourne.

TE -------- Dalton Kincaid

Sam LaPorta,

Cade Stover OSU.    Round it out with a late RD PK or

FA                Foster Moreau 

Tommy Sweeney( cheap money and can play) 

-----------------------------------------------

Meyers gone FA, other players, trash, gone, that includes J Smith

My team is not based on cap numbers !!!🤣 Who cares its not my money.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Run, Run, Run, play action. Come up in the box, bombs away. Cover deep, I'll kill you with Dalton Kincaid and Sam LaPorta.

I don't care that my team is young, they grow together in 2023.

2024, Now ready, experienced, offense solved. Holy crap, the Pats receivers are fast and explosive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's how you build a team !! 

💣💣💣 away.

ADDED  The smartest thing I do is go to Mac and tell him what I'm doing and thinking.

I tell him I believe in him and I'm need you to lead these guys and turn them into champions.

The last thing I would do is snort, mumble and not BACK HIM IN PUBLIC 100000000000000000000%

Edited by m haynes

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

If I was confident Marcus Jones could hold up to the beating he would take in the slot.. I would honestly transition him full time to offense and just draft 2 corners given how great this draft is. I also believe that Jones doesn't want to be an offensive player, I feel like I heard some interviews where he said something along the lines of " I will do whatever they want to help the team, but I'm a corner"

I'm not concerned with that  he's short however he's built like a truck. Also they don't take beating anymore. The rules turned them all into hand tacklers.

Darrell Green played for 50 years at 5'9 184 lbs.

Yes, I know he played on the outside but remember there were no rules to protect anyone.  Grabbing punching right from the LOS, also cut blocks and blindside hits, crazy.

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

I'm not concerned with that  he's short however he's built like a truck. Also they don't take beating anymore. The rules turned them all into hand tacklers.

Darrell Green played for 50 years at 5'9 184 lbs.

Yes, I know he played on the outside but remember there were no rules to protect anyone.  Grabbing punching right from the LOS, also cut blocks and blindside hits, crazy.

That will be an interesting thing to see if O'Brien feels the same way. 

If Marcus Jones played his entire career on offense .. he would be a 2inch shorter Trey Flowers with better top end speed. 

46 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

That will be an interesting thing to see if O'Brien feels the same way. 

If Marcus Jones played his entire career on offense .. he would be a 2inch shorter Trey Flowers with better top end speed. 

Now take my team and go 4 wide with Jones!!! Holy crap. Our WRs  run on water!!

Jones  ----------  4.38

Thornton -------- 4.21

Flowers  --------  4.37

Hyatt  ----------- 4.31

Stevenson RB     thinking,  try to stop me!!!!!

Edited by m haynes