2023 NFL Draft

Crimmage

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

NE likes to play man when they have the horses.

I think man is or should be secondary for a team in today's NFL.  The offense players are to good and the rules make nearly impossible to cover man on man. Just look at the QBs, you turn your back they are running for a 1st down.  Pray for a mistake or turnover that the new defense.

IMO All DBs should be like Marcus Jones with some height .  If he was 6ft tall in this draft he'd be a top draft pick. 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Joey Porter is grabbbbby, I don't think he will test well and we will realize the reason why he was grabbing guys so much is because he couldn't keep up with them

That's funny.  I watched several videos  today and I don't see it. I tried based on his hype however I just don't see it.  Its his hips, i think limited flexibility. Stiff and grabbing is a understatement.  That back hand never leaves the WR.  Hard pass.

Can you play Diggs / Chase / Jefferson / Hill / Waddle / Wilson

That confirms what I said. he has no chance.

You want the best CB in the draft. He's Ty Law. clone. Damn  He covers the USC WR like a blanket.

Clark Phillips  This tape is incredible. Look at the movement and quickness it just burst out at you. Look at the 1:20 mark that all i have to see, perfect, against Elite college WR. Addison,   Damn

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/players/clark-phillips-iii

Also like Devon Witherspoon. He would be very effective in zone and covering big WR. Might have little trouble with man (little guys) but not enough to worry about. To many postives to pass on in the draft. 

55 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Hasn't looked great so far unfortunately. 

He got outrun by Stetson Bennett and overran a couple plays. He's blown up a few run plays as well but not the best first half from him. 

I missed the 1st and little 2nd. Forgot had to pick wife up, airport. What I have seen isn't pretty. I watching Jones and Kenny McIntosh however Mac on the bench resting. Most likely we will see little from him unless needed.

16 hours ago, Crimmage said:

TE: 

• Tucker Kraft (3rd-4th round):
    • May be the best athlete at TE.. I think they may have seen him a lot on Pierre Strong's tape and looked closely at him this season
  •  

Yeah they probably saw a bunch on Tucker since on some of Strong's big runs was because Kraft opened up a hole with a good block. I just saw in interview with our local news station on why he stayed to play for SDSU and he's like "I was offered 6 figures to come to bigger schools after my Sophomore year, but I turned them down. I wasn't gonna leave the guys and be a sell out." You know Bill likes a guy who can take a team friendly contract.

Edited by Iron_man
Misspelling.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Iron_man said:

"I was offered 6 figures to come to bigger schools after my Sophomore year, but I turned them down. I wasn't gonna leave the guys and be a sell out."

Know what that says to me, My parents have money !!!!!!! 🤣 Single parent struggling to put a roof over his head. he would be purchasing a new house as soon as he could transfer !!!!😁

They were heavily invested in the Shrine bowl last year.. will be interesting to see who they draft out of this group. 

Some notable names on the roster: 

• Jake Moody K
  • A.T. Perry WR ( I loved him when the season started, need to watch more.. but if he is there on day 3 I'm all for it) 
  • Zay Flowers WR
  • Luke Schoonmaker TE
  • Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB ( Could they draft him to be a safety?) 

Just took a peek NFL draft thread and a poster put videos of Tenn OL. going against Georgia and Bama.

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/46939-ol-talk/     OL thread

https://youtu.be/tkM9WKFEnDU       Bama game

https://youtu.be/b_kzRXL0qJ8           Bulldogs

Darnell Wright

Boy did I miss with this kid the 1st time I watched him.  Reason was he needs work on technique. Miner stuff that should be fixed in rookie camp. Clip I saw he was losing his balance and reaching, fast judgment to big to slow, moved on to the next player. Like I said 1st time looking, we all make mistakes!!!

Today he is one of the players I would take in the 1st RD with a trade down. I don't care if he's a RT in college.  IMO he could move to LT. Worse case scenario you have your ( a stud ) RT for the next 10 years.  The reason he not at LT is Gerald Mincey sophomore is a stud, he will be a high 1st RD pick.

My reason

1    His size and the way he moves, great feet for a man that size. 6'6 335. He show great balance most of the time however he still needs work when he reaches, to aggressive which the main cause with his balance. I say this because its not a physical one. Ex slow feet. He not just a big man who's playing OL. He's a player.

2   He's dominant against two powerhouse teams. Big plus to reduce the risk if you draft him.

3    Here the biggest reason. He eliminates Will Anderson, who many say is the best player in the college and the draft. Reason he has a shot at LT. That determination would  need to be made by the scouts ( no clue just some scout wanna be) through the process however based on what I see on tape he could play LT.  His size helps big time if your concerned with his quickness  at LT. Trent Brown is helped immensely with his size.

4  The second tape against the Bulldogs confirms the 1st tape. Dominates.

5. RT is almost as important for the Patriots after watching the disaster all year from the right side. Also as I mentioned you have to be happy if you come out of the 1st RD with  a player who ends up being a stud for his career. 

-------------------------------------------

Note   CB  Kelee Ringo is a dog.

Product of their front seven.  I bring this up because he's the Pats pick in the 1st RD !!!! It always seems to happen, the players I hate, they draft.  Ex  Nate Solder and Tebucky Jones, Ras-I Dowling. I hate CBs with tooth pick legs.  Yes, I know I was wrong on Solder, but you have to forgive me there was tape on him getting destroyed and tape falling literally on his face.

🤢

Edited by m haynes

12 minutes ago, m haynes said:

5. RT is almost as important for the Patriots after watching the disaster all year from the right side. Also as I mentioned you have to be happy if you come out of the 1st RD with  a player who ends up being a stud for his career. 

-------------------------------------------

I'll be really disappointed if they don't sign a legit RT in free agency. Give someone 10M a season for the next 4-5 years .. and extend Onwenu for the same. You can lock in your RT side for the rest of BB's career. Given the amount of cap space they have, they would be dumb to not do it unless their plan is to spend all the FA money on defense and use the draft for the offense, which would be a poor decision. They have been great at getting late round guys, but given how bad last year was I don't think that's a luxury they can bank on. 

The ideal way I would do it is

- Obviously hire an experienced OL coach to work with Billy Yates

- Sign a starting caliber RT for 3-4 years (work contract so after 2 years you can cut/trade without penalty)

- Extend Onwenu for 4 years (unless you love Hines and think he can start next year.. then I trade him for a high pick tbo) 

- Draft multiple RT's late to compete with free agent .. after 1-2 years hopefully a late round guy overtakes him and you can use him as a trade asset 

Any guy i'm taking in the top 60 I want to be 100% sure he will be a LT. Like Scar needs to work out these guys like he has done for them in the past. They can find RT's of the future on day 3.. given that they are going to have 3-4 sixth round picks, I would honestly grab 2 OT's in the 6th / use those to trade up a little if necessary and take two guys. 

• Connor Galvin, Baylor
    • 6'7 302
    • Shrine Bowl so they will get a close look at him and saw him last season scouting Thornton
  • Luke Hagard, Indiana
    • 6'7 305 Super Senior
    • Shrine Bowl so they will get a close look at him
  • Ryan Hayes
    • Michigan.. enough said
  • Tyler Steen
    • Alabama.. enough said
12 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Note   CB  Kelee Ringo is a dog.

Product of their front seven.  I bring this up because he's the Pats pick in the 1st RD !!!! It always seems to happen, the players I hate, they draft.  Ex  Nate Solder and Tebucky Jones, Ras-I Dowling. I hate CBs with tooth pick legs.  Yes, I know I was wrong on Solder, but you have to forgive me there was tape on him getting destroyed and tape falling literally on his face.

🤢

Thankfully he is going to be drafted before they have a chance to go after him. I'm sure he will go top 10 to someone who wants the National Championship program to change the mentality of their team or something. Assuming he's the next Sauce or something. If they want a CB so badly, I'm trading back and taking Witherspoon over Ringo 10 times out of 10. 

I like all of these guys over him and I haven't even really started going in depth on CB yet: 

• Christian Gonzalez 
  • Devon Witherspoon 
  • Eli Ricks
  • DJ Turner
  • Kyu Blu Kelly 

I would be all for taking 2 CB's in this draft, seeing as how the Patriots really start 3 CB anyway so you need 5 to reliably run the defense. Jalen Mills could get moved to Safety or even cut.. a lot could change in the next few months (Jack Jones could be cut / traded too)

The ideal way I would do it is

No, I would draft this kid. I'm sick and tired of BB  wasting draft picks  and time on possible future players, draft this kid and move on to the next need. IMO you can do this when you have TB and a winning team. Right now you better make every pick count. No more slinging on the wall to see if it sticks. Especially high pick OG!!!!  I still would draft a OT later if they are the best player on the board. You take the best player regardless of what position they play. There are RT in college because there is a super star playing LT. You see this a lot at Bama. Tenn LT has a good possibility to be the next great one. He a Sophomore and he's dominating at the highest level in college. 

Draft multiple RT's late to compete with free agent .. after 1-2 years hopefully a late round guy overtakes him

I will reevaluate the position 10 years down the road.

Yes BB has drafted in later round but he also has whiffed, many time with OL. Something you can't do now that TB is gone. You might have out sight out of mind syndrome.  🤣. Also I take the rookie stud over a reach in FA.  I do like the SF FA but that the only one. How much will it cost is a big factor, I see a big contract,so I pass. Last, I like OL in this draft because they are the easiest to evaluate. Looking at 14 someone unexpected has to fall or they have to trade the pick. Based on mocks there are CBs, that it at 14.

I like the OS WR however he's a slot guy at the next level. I hope the teams see that as well and he fall right to the Pats with a trade down. I don't look at him until the mid 20s.

Any guy i'm taking in the top 60 I want to be 100% sure he will be a LT.

I think you might of missed or didn't understand my comment (my fault not a word Smith)  I think he can play LT but that for the scouts to now  You and I have no clue and the idiot that talk about the draft don't as well.

Also I don't care if he's a RT, as long as he dominates for 10+ years.  In this draft it's hard to find anyone that is worth (close to sure thing ) the pick at 14.. MOF I pass on most of the players after pick 10!!!!!

• Connor Galvin, Baylor
    • 6'7 302
    • Shrine Bowl so they will get a close look at him and saw him last season scouting Thornton
  • Luke Hagard, Indiana
    • 6'7 305 Super Senior
    • Shrine Bowl so they will get a close look at him
  • Ryan Hayes
    • Michigan.. enough said
  • Tyler Steen
    • Alabama.. enough said

I agree, nice haul lower RDs.  I still take Darnell Wright. You can alway's trade the player or cover for injuries. They go to camp excel other teams see them. Again take the best player I don't care what position. This is for high picks as THIS YEAR.

Assuming he's the next Sauce or something.

That's a laugh, he will be a box safety.

I like all of these guys over him and I haven't even really started going in depth on CB yet: 

I  haven't looked but at all of them, just a quick glance at the top ones. These two stood  jump off the screen. They can change the whole defense.

I really like Clark Phillips III and Devon Witherspoon .  CP is my favorite he's incredible especially in man. IMO he will be a shut down at the next level.  That's why I have him over W- spoon, but I'd be pretty happy with both.  W - spoon is incredible in zone and his overall play in the secondary, that really stood out.

(Jack Jones could be cut / traded too)

The Pats Marcus Peters. 

I would do everything possible to get him out of town. I would do cartwheels if we get a 2nd RD for him. I would do a smaller one for a 3rd. Trade up ammo.  He's bad news and he's only going to get worse.

He already thinks he's the best thing since slice bread. KC did with MP.

Edited by m haynes

8 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I really like Clark Phillips III

My concern is he is little. They've already got 2 smaller CB's (Jones'). They need a tall, fast guy with long arms. Clark Phillips is listed at 5'10, which means he's probably 5'9 lol 

Kyu Blu Kelly is 6'1 188 with long arms. He's also fluid enough to play in the slot, so when Marcus Jones can't handle a big slot they could move him to the slot too. 

8 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I would do everything possible to get him out of town. I would do cartwheels if we get a 2nd RD for him. I would do a smaller one for a 3rd. Trade up ammo.  He's bad news and he's only going to get worse.

In this draft, I can't imagine someone trading for him. This draft could have 10+ starting CB's.. why trade for a guy like Jones? I think he's going to need to come back, have a good year and then maybe they trade him if they really don't like him.

21 hours ago, Crimmage said:

My concern is he is little. They've already got 2 smaller CB's (Jones'). They need a tall, fast guy with long arms. Clark Phillips is listed at 5'10, which means he's probably 5'9 lol 

My philosophy changed.

There are no CBs that can cover the better WR in today's NFL. What I look for are guys like Marcus Jones. A CB that stays right in the WR shirt all over the field.

I understand your need for taller player, I get it, however the Higgins match doesn't concern me when it comes to CBs overall game. Not all teams have a WR 6'4 that are any good.  Also the taller the CB, the harder to stay with the ( like Diggs) WR. That's just in general.  Put it this way the the better the pass rush the taller the CBs. No pass rush the taller guys effectiveness dwindles. That the Seahawk philosophy. That's why they like Edge guys in the draft, like Irvin, he did one thing,  pressure the pocket, to reduce the cover time for the bump and run for the taller CB's

IMO you can be 6'2 CB and you have, no chance (yes there are rare exceptions) against the elite WR.   Lets take Fins, CP covers them all day. W-Spoon not so much. Now don't get me wrong it would be perfect if CP was taller however at the end of the day, I don't care.   Not only is CP fast and quick, he's tough. He reminds me of TY Law. Who is listed at 5'11. 

I say in his shirt this is closer!!!!

https://youtu.be/cCgsS1wDy5c    1:20 mark this is what seal the deal for me.

That's one of the top WR in the draft and he's inside his shirt 50 yards down field. They talk about winning the AFC east. Well lets see Waddle, Hill, Diggs, Isaiah McKenzie, Garrett Wilson, Elijah Moore

End of the day it's the best CB that fit my criteria, Can he stay with the WR in the AFC all over the field.  Yup "In his shirt"   

Note ---  The top 12 WRs listed in this draft, only 3 are over 6' and the only one that will be drafted in the 1st and 2 RD is Quentin Johnston.

What I would do is draft a tall CB later (THAT CAN PLAY) and use him as part of the unit.  Still shaking my head on this pick Joejuan Williams.  How do you draft a guy that's was born with no hips !!!!!!!!! 🤣

21 hours ago, Crimmage said:

In this draft, I can't imagine someone trading for him.

Good point.

Counter point, there are a lot of dumb GM/HC.  You know the ones that's protect themselfs. How many time you hear  "we know what we getting crap " or the ones that think there one player away.  PRIME example,  Chargers and JC Jackson. 

My feelings  from the jump with Jackson... let him go. I thought paying him big bucks was foolish/nuts!!!

Edited by m haynes

59 minutes ago, m haynes said:

My philosophy changed.

There are no CBs that can cover the better WR in today's NFL. What I look for are guys like Marcus Jones. A CB that stays right in the WR shirt all over the field.

If you feel that way (it's a toss up for me), I would say your positional value is so low that any of those guys would be terrible picks. If you're not worried about finding an elite guy who can be the next Stephen Gilmore, you should just draft guys like Marcus Jones in the 3rd/4th round. Using a 1st/2nd round pick would be a waste when you have other needs at LB/DL/FS/OT/WR which are arguably bigger in that case 

22 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Kyu Blu Kelly is 6'1 188 with long arms. He's also fluid enough to play in the slot, so when Marcus Jones can't handle a big slot they could move him to the slot too. 

I missed this comment.    IMO they desperately need two CBs in this draft. BB has taken multiples before.

Bryant HAS TO GO.

I haven't watched this kid yet so I'll go on what you think.  I checked, he's a 3rd round guy. Perfect. Get two (this draft only) high quality CBs in the 1st and 3rd. This also open up the trade for Jones.

55 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

If you feel that way (it's a toss up for me), I would say your positional value is so low that any of those guys would be terrible picks. If you're not worried about finding an elite guy who can be the next Stephen Gilmore, you should just draft guys like Marcus Jones in the 3rd/4th round. Using a 1st/2nd round pick would be a waste when you have other needs at LB/DL/FS/OT/WR which are arguably bigger in that case 

I completely disagree.

Especially this, I would say your positional value is so low that any of those guys would be terrible picks.  As you said, " Marcus Jones in the 3rd/ 4th round " . Well I had him in the 2nd/ 3rd in last years draft.  3rd because he would fall. I knew he would fall becasue draft media and NFL fools don't know crap and they would be concerned becasue of his size. How that work out.

CBs in this draft are so far ahead of any LB/DL/FS/OT/WR. I would never go after needs, when I feel its a reach.  I have said CB dominate this draft many times.

Do I really want a CB in the 1st, heck no but if they don't trade out of the 1st its should be a CB which is a huge need. I sure as heck don't take a slot WR to fill a need in the 1st or reach for any other position to  fill a need. Note if they do trade out ITS still a CB.

Even in the 2nd I don't take a huge gamble, such as  OT Cody Mauch, who I wouldn't look at until the 4th, if that. The last thing I want is to draft a OG  JAG Strange to fill a need. I still chuckle at Rams laugh. They laughed while I cried!!!!!  What's really funny, they should of taken Trent McDuffie.

You have mentioned the Pats draft formula previously. Placing player in groups. let' s call it Group grades. Well if that the case (in this draft only) CBs are in the A group in the 1,2,3 RDs.  and all the criterias, main one, can they play. CB by far, passes the other positions in this draft. Using  Pats formula, CB A group, the rest B group or lower.

Edited by m haynes

I would put the odds of BB falling in love with Sydney Brown rather high: 

- He's a ball hawk which we know this defense always loves

- He has played all over the field, very versatile

- Good measurables, projected to run a 4.45 .. 6ft tall  

- Brett Bielema is going to gush about about him.. he's a fiery player who plays with a lot of energy

- Projected to go in the 4th-6th guy, Patriots will have up to 7 picks in that range

The safety room needs an infusion of youth with McCourty retiring, Dugger on the last year of his deal and Adrian Phillips about to turn 31. I feel like Joshuah Bledsoe is going to be a contributor next season based off what we've seen but they still need more. 

I also wouldn't mind if they drafted his brother Chase Brown if he fell into day 3