2023 NFL Draft

Crimmage

13 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I would put the odds of BB falling in love with Sydney Brown rather high: 

- He's a ball hawk which we know this defense always loves

- He has played all over the field, very versatile

- Good measurables, projected to run a 4.45 .. 6ft tall  

- Brett Bielema is going to gush about about him.. he's a fiery player who plays with a lot of energy

- Projected to go in the 4th-6th guy, Patriots will have up to 7 picks in that range

The safety room needs an infusion of youth with McCourty retiring, Dugger on the last year of his deal and Adrian Phillips about to turn 31. I feel like Joshuah Bledsoe is going to be a contributor next season based off what we've seen but they still need more. 

I also wouldn't mind if they drafted his brother Chase Brown if he fell into day 3 

I stop the tape at the 55 second mark.

Nice find.

He scream Patrick Chung but a little bigger.  Also he can be a great replacement for Dugger and Philips.  I could see Brown and Bledsoe in the box going forward. Yes they are smaller than Dugger but the game has changed to speed, also no one hits anymore its like flag football.  The still need a center fielder. I haven't look for anyone at this time.

Dugger   He will be 27 years old before next season. He SHOULD be looking to get paid, its his last contract and he's made nothing so far. He's a idiot if he settles like Jules and Brady for that matter.  I bet Danny Amondola has triple the bank account compared to Jules!!!! Also I wouldn't meet his demands if they aren't team friendly or at least fair for both parties. He wants top money for his position, bye!!!!!!

• Like 1

I'll be honest.. I'm a bit sad that Stroud ended up declaring for the draft. It would have been nice to see next draft be stacked at QB if Mac doesn't perform this upcoming season. 

With a new OC coming in, I think it makes sense that they try to setup Mac while hedging their bets and trading for future picks. For instance, New Orleans is in an interesting situation.. no first round pick.. no QB.. aggressive front office.. I could see them offering the Patriots their second this year and their first and 3rd next year for 14 to draft a QB (Levis/Richardson). Other teams I could see doing a similar trade would be the Bucs/Giants. 

Sure, this means the Patriots miss out on a 1st rounder this year.. BUT.. it means if Mac isn't the guy.. they likely have 2 top 20 picks. Trading say pick 15 and 20 would get you close to pick 5 in Rich Hill value. Not going to get you Caleb Williams but maybe gets you whoever the 2nd/3rd guy is (Drake Maye, Quinn Ewers,etc.). 

16 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I'll be honest.. I'm a bit sad that Stroud ended up declaring for the draft. It would have been nice to see next draft be stacked at QB if Mac doesn't perform this upcoming season. 

With a new OC coming in, I think it makes sense that they try to setup Mac while hedging their bets and trading for future picks. For instance, New Orleans is in an interesting situation.. no first round pick.. no QB.. aggressive front office.. I could see them offering the Patriots their second this year and their first and 3rd next year for 14 to draft a QB (Levis/Richardson). Other teams I could see doing a similar trade would be the Bucs/Giants. 

Sure, this means the Patriots miss out on a 1st rounder this year.. BUT.. it means if Mac isn't the guy.. they likely have 2 top 20 picks. Trading say pick 15 and 20 would get you close to pick 5 in Rich Hill value. Not going to get you Caleb Williams but maybe gets you whoever the 2nd/3rd guy is (Drake Maye, Quinn Ewers,etc.). 

As a fan that's a good idea if that's the reason for trading. Lets say hedging your bet.  The problem for a real team, it wasted time, not maximizing the NOW.  I will probably mess up what I'm saying so I will use a example.

Take Mac draft class. There is no guarantees.  Teams (let say) did look a head, so far the jury still out on 4 of the 5. 

The only reason I trade 14 is for this year. I don't care about future " might happens "  Hey I'm not completely stupid, if the package has a 1st in 24  great as long as I can get a starter this year.  You make the trade down but not for a  (reason) QB hope, but what best for the team now and future. Example  trade down get 1st 2024 and you still get a 1st in 2023. You get 30th pick, you than draft OT Darnell Wright.  Possible LT, worse case scenario 10+ year starting RT. Now you have a dominate right side. Now go fix the left side , next year with the 2 number one picks. ex jc latham.   I don't see how they fix it in 2023. One more year T Brown.  FA and draft leaves little, at best.

The big issue from the media is Mac's a hot head, and BB doesn't like players question him or his staff.  I think this is BS.  Kraft should tell BB stop being a *****, it's your fault for being a idiot. Stop this 6th grade crap, he hurt my feeling and fix your mess.

I sick and tired of hearing (old guys) Mac's losing his cool by the media fools. BB boys, shut up Wilfork,Cassel and others,  get your head out of BB backside. This is a  *** new generation, BB get with the times or retire.  I can give you a 1000+ QB's that have done it, starting with TB. Some of his hot mics are classic dressing down his coach/players.

Best Bill O'Brien !!!!!  Funny how they forget that or use the stupid excuse..... well it's the GOAT, he's allowed!!!! Hey idiots that part of the reason he's so great, FIRE!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for getting carried away.

What I should of said. Worry about QB after next year. Have the mind set, be all in on Mac. A great reason is what happened with Lawrence. New coach will bring out the talent most saw in Mac's rookie year.   

PS  I still think that ankle injury was a factor.

***  new generation  =  This is not like the old days. Kids today question everything, the word of the day, WHY!!!!!!!

Edited by m haynes

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

As a fan that's a good idea if that's the reason for trading. Lets say hedging your bet.  The problem for a real team, it wasted time, not maximizing the NOW.  I will probably mess up what I'm saying so I will use a example.

I suppose you're right.. given that BB has 2 seasons left, he probably doesn't want to wait. It actually makes him more likely to trade away future picks. 

Take Mac draft class. There is no guarantees.  Teams (let say) did look a head, so far the jury still out on 4 of the 5. 

The only reason I trade 14 is for this year. I don't care about future " might happens "  Hey I'm not completely stupid, if the package has a 1st in 24  great as long as I can get a starter this year.  You make the trade down but not for a  (reason) QB hope, but what best for the team now and future. Example  trade down get 1st 2024 and you still get a 1st in 2023. You get 30th pick, you than draft OT Darnell Wright.  Possible LT, worse case scenario 10+ year starting RT. Now you have a dominate right side. Now go fix the left side , next year with the 2 number one picks. ex jc latham.   I don't see how they fix it in 2023. One more year T Brown.  FA and draft leaves little, at best.

Funny how OT is their biggest need all season but I'm actually feeling a bit better about it now that a new OC is coming to town ( and I assume bringing his own QB/OL/TE coach with him). I think they sign a RT in free agency and don't mess around there. Even if it's an above average starter, you're fixing the situation for now while giving developmental guys time to take over. I also think they aren't as low on Trent Brown as the media.. I think he's the starter next year at LT. He's on an expiring deal and will be extra motivated to get his next contract. The sleeper i'm loving in the 2nd/3rd range is Duncan. You brought him to my attention before and while he is all over the place.. the talent is there. Give him 1 year as a backup and he can hit the ground running as the LT moving forward. People thinking he goes on day 3 are nuts.. he's def going top 100. Add in a day 3 project at OT to compete with Stueber and you've gone from a terrible OL to top 10 again. 

If they want immediate change on offense.. they need to do it through free agency... and that starts with RT. If they don't throw a bag at McGlinchey .. it's a major mistake imo. They have the cap space.. and even if cap space was an issue I would rather cut Henry and sign McGlinchey.. you'll see a much larger return on investment that way.

The big issue from the media is Mac's a hot head, and BB doesn't like players question him or his staff.  I think this is BS.  Kraft should tell BB stop being a *****, it's your fault for being a idiot. Stop this 6th grade crap, he hurt my feeling and fix your mess.

I sick and tired of hearing (old guys) Mac's losing his cool by the media fools. BB boys, shut up Wilfork,Cassel and others,  get your head out of BB backside. This is a  *** new generation, BB get with the times or retire.  I can give you a 1000+ QB's that have done it, starting with TB. Some of his hot mics are classic dressing down his coach/players.

I agree, those takes are stupid. Brady blew up on the sideline all the time.. and I can almost guarantee Edelman would be doing the same if he had Patricia as his OC. 

Best Bill O'Brien !!!!!  Funny how they forget that or use the stupid excuse..... well it's the GOAT, he's allowed!!!! Hey idiots that part of the reason he's so great, FIRE!!!!!!!!!

Best Case Scenario is he combines his NE offense and Alabama offense. That and he forces BB to allow him to bring in his own offensive coaches. 

- Thornton plays the slot a lot more in an Alabama role.. I think we can trust him to scheme him up more

- I think he could push hard for Jahmyr Gibbs given his experience with him. If he believes Gibbs is the next CMC/Kamara.. he's going to scream at the rooftops to get him. While I feel he would of course help the offense.. and can probably even play the slot a bit.. no way am I spending a 2nd on a RB in this draft. 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

The sleeper i'm loving in the 2nd/3rd range is Duncan. You brought him to my attention before and while he is all over the place.. the talent is there.

Lets say they don't take care of the RT. BB craziness witch most likely guaranteed, we have guys on the rosters, Ya Ya Ya !!!! Draft both, Darnell Wright, than Duncun 😁  Stop screwing around fix it, trade up in the 2nd if you have to.  I can live with LT Duncan LG Hines C Strong,  RG Onwenu  RT Wright in 2024. 23 building year. 😁

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

no way am I spending a 2nd on a RB in this draft

That's the major problem with this draft. The CB and RB is loaded, big time.  Phil Perry had some guy on pod cast , Mike Renier I believe, some draft site guys and said the same thing.  This might be the year to take what there even if its a RB. I hate to say it but you can't pass on a Karmara, The guy from Texas is a freight train. The Titans should go strong after him.  Just think, Bulldog kid in not considered a 10 ten back!!!!!!! Macintosh. NUTS!!

All my draft rules are out the window with this draft.   He basically said all the LT aren't worth a 1st RD grade but will be chosen never the less.  RB you might not have a choice. I don't see the Pats doing it. BB will some city team guy and mumble all the right thing !!!!  Good family, nice kid, works hard, blah,blah blah!!!!!

5 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Lets say they don't take care of the RT. BB craziness witch most likely guaranteed, we have guys on the rosters, Ya Ya Ya !!!! Draft both, Darnell Wright, than Duncun 😁  Stop screwing around fix it, trade up in the 2nd if you have to.  I can live with LT Duncan LG Hines C Strong,  RG Onwenu  RT Wright in 2024. 23 building year. 😁

I think Wright and Duncan are both 2nd rounders. I like Duncan's potential more, especially because of his experience at LT. I don't like the idea of spending two high picks on OT. Spend one top 100, the other in the 6th. You don't need to move up to get them... I may even say you should move back in the 2nd to grab another 3rd or something and take Duncan at the end of the second round. 

Trent Brown / Cole Strange / David Andrews / Mike Onwenu / Mike McGlinchey

Jaelyn Duncan / James Ferentz / Kody Russey / Chasen Hines / Andrew Stueber (Add in day 3 OT to fight with Stueber too)

I take that 10 times out of 10 assuming Billy Yates has a veteran OL coach working with him

5 minutes ago, m haynes said:

That's the major problem with this draft. The CB and RB is loaded, big time.  Phil Perry had some guy on pod cast , Mike Renier I believe, some draft site guys and said the same thing.  This might be the year to take what there even if its a RB. I hate to say it but you can't pass on a Karmara, The guy from Texas is a freight train. The Titans should go strong after him.  Just think, Bulldog kid in not considered a 10 ten back!!!!!!! Macintosh. NUTS!!

CB is a need.. a pretty darn big one.. double dip is very much to be expected. I could see them taking a CB in the first .. even if I would rather get a top tier guy as a position with less depth (JSN) then get a good guy at the depth position. Devon Witherspoon at 14 (or a trade down) is very much a possibility. 

RB Depth is insane.. especially for guys who have some receiving experience. I can think of probably 5-10 guys who I would draft in that 3rd-4th round range that would make a huge impact on this team. 

Imagine this offseason: 

Free agency: 

- Mike McGlinchey, RT

- Tremaine Edmunds, LB

Draft: (Without trades.. even though we know they will trade down and get more mid round picks)

- 1st Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR

- 2nd Jaelyn Duncan, LT / Darnell Wright, OT / Cody Mauch, OT / Blake Freeland, OT

- 3rd Eli Ricks, CB / Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, CB / Kyu Blu Kelly, CB / DJ Turner, CB

- 4th Eli Ricks, CB / Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, CB / Kyu Blu Kelly, CB / DJ Turner, CB

-4th Sydney Brown, FS / Dee Winters, LB / Jordan Battle, S 

-4th Kenny McIntosh, RB / Eric Gray, RB / Tyjae Spears, RB / Chase Brown, RB / Deuce Vaughn, RB / Kendre Miller, RB

- 6th Charlie Jones, WR

- 6th Ryan Hayes, OT / Tyler Steen, OT / Warren McClendon, OT / McClendon Curtis, OT

Give me that offseason.. with a competent coaching staff.. and I'd be ecstatic 

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Wright and Duncan are both 2nd rounders. I like Duncan's

I'm starting to see Wright in the 1st RD. Last one was the chiefs at 31.   Any guy that humbles Williams for Bama IMO is a 1st RD talent.  We are talking the #1 pick in the draft. It wasn't even fair. Also most of the clips shown him destroying the DL on running plays. He caving in the line.

When this kid gets on a strength and conditioning program, he's going dominate in the NFL.

. I don't like the idea of spending two high picks on OT.

I do, as I mentioned fix the MAJOR problem. Stop trying to find guys later You do that when your a good team.  This team need to fix this problem or they are going to go nowhere.

Look at KC they lose to Brady the next year they are spending major bucks, drafting  in the early RDs to protect Mahomes.  If you wait and hope to develop and miss that cost your several years of mediocrity.

1st Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR

There is no way in heck I take him with the 14th pick. Late 1st heck ya as long as Wright not on the board!!!😁

I would break my TV set and up on my knees screaming. He's a slot WR that's it. I really like the player but it has to be a impact position/player. It goes like this for me, QB,LT,SCB,Edge. The rest are secondary.  I don't see any WR in this draft the has the Chase factor. For G sakes the number one rated is Harry twin brother, Quentin Johnston. I think I just puked in my mouth writing that!!!!!!

Give me that offseason.. with a competent coaching staff.. and I'd be ecstatic 

Remember this when they stomp on your nuts again!!!!! 

There's been a trade, with the 29th pick the Patriots take a C/RT OL from Holy Cross!!!!!!  He's 40 years, measurable off the charts.  BB ... We had to use a 1st because the Rams were trying to trade up to get him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by m haynes

New mock , new player.

Zach Harrison. 

The good  ----- 4.4/4.5 speed, five star recruit, size, school.

What I see

He's a one trick pony ( outside rush ) who is not that flexible or athletic , he lacks that fluid motion I like with pass rushers. I could see BB taking him, think Wise, but I say, hard pass.  Next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5P0EflcyZc

Edited by m haynes

With the report that the Patriots DL coach Demarcus Covington will be a Senior Bowl DC.. I put together a list of some guys they may take a long look at during senior bowl week. I'm not sure if they have anyone helping out on offense, but I'll put a few names there too. 

Defense: 

• Jordan Battle, DB
  • DJ Dale, DL
  • Byron Young, DL
  • Henry To'oTo'o, LB (will be interesting to see if Senior Bowl raises his stock back up)
  • Andre Carter II, LB
  • Siaki Ika, DL
  • JL Skinner, S
  • Keion White, DL
  • Christopher Smith, S
  • Devon Witherspoon, CB ( Get ready for this guy to be #14)
  • Sydney Brown, S (if he's there in the 4th he will be a steal) 
  • Isaiah Foskey, DL/OLB
  • Zach Harrison, DL/OLB
  • Kyu Blu Kelly, CB (if he's there in the 4th he will be a steal)
  • Dee Winters, LB (love him as a day 3 speed LB)

Offense: 

• Tyler Steen, OT (Bill O'Brien will have good insight on him if he is the OC)
  • Cameron Latu, TE (Bill O'Brien will have good insight on him if he is the OC)
  • Blake Freeland, OT (big, long guy that needs to put on muscle at next level.. good redshirt guy)
  • Kenny McIntosh, RB
  • Nathaniel Dell, WR
  • Chase Brown, RB
  • Jaelyn Duncan, OT
  • Ryan Hayes, OT
  • Hunter Luepke, FB (The best guy if they want to bring back the FB)
  • Cody Mauch, OT
  • Dawand Jones, OT
  • Eric Gray, RB
  • Luke Musgrave, TE
  • Charlie Jones, WR (the next guy that will be all over the Patriots mocks but they wont draft)
  • Darnell Wright, OT
  • Tyjae Spears, RB
  • Curtis McClendon, OT (Might as well give Cole Stranges buddy a look)
  • Dalton Kincaid, TE (That's future 2nd round pick Dalton Kincaid to you)

https://thedraftnetwork.com/senior-bowl-2023-jaelyn-duncan-interview/

JM: It sure is. What was your motivation for accepting the Senior Bowl’s offer?

Jaelyn Duncan: I want to go out there and show these scouts what Jaelyn Duncan is all about. I’m excited to put my skill set on display in front of NFL decision-makers. I feel like they have some questions about my game. I’m excited to address those questions and eliminate any concerns about my game. I’m going to answer those questions at the Senior Bowl.

JM: Expanding on that a little, what are you looking to prove to NFL general managers, coaching staffs, and scouts in attendance in Mobile?

Jaelyn Duncan: I’m going to display my physical playing style. I’m going to prove that my work ethic is top-notch. I play the game with the right mentality. I’m excited for the interview process. I love football and I’m excited for everybody to get to know who Jaelyn Duncan really is. I really love playing football.

Jaelyn Duncan keeps that attitude.. shows it to the Patriots at the Senior Bowl.. and we are going to see another Cole Strange trade back and draft Duncan at the end of the 1st. LOVE that attitude.

7 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Jaelyn Duncan: I’m going to display my physical playing style. I’m going to prove that my work ethic is top-notch. I play the game with the right mentality. I’m excited for the interview process. I love football and I’m excited for everybody to get to know who Jaelyn Duncan really is. I really love playing football.

Jaelyn Duncan keeps that attitude.. shows it to the Patriots at the Senior Bowl.. and we are going to see another Cole Strange trade back and draft Duncan at the end of the 1st. LOVE that attitude.

I really like the player but I would seriously look into the  (new draft code ) Zach Wilson factor, It right along there with,  look at football as a job!!!!

What worries me is that statement seem to be rehearsed. Agent knows his motivation is in question.  

Bold are bullet points.  I also caught the 3rd person reference. His agent missed that one or he's not as smart as he thinks he is!!!!

" to get to know who Jaelyn Duncan really is "

List of players  I want the Pats to pass on completely or at least the 1st and 2nd RDs.

This list will guarantee the Pats will pick one and I destroy a TV !!!!!

Red --  Don't draft

Blue --  Later than projected

------------------------------------------------------

Quentin Johnston WR TCU

Bust alert !!!!!    College star he game won't translate at the NFL level

Kelee Ringo CB Georgia

Bust alert !!!!!   Inside of the box only, product of Bull dogs front seven. I look at him, play box S

Joey Porter Jr. CB  Penn State
  Bust alert !!!!!    I wouldn't take him no matter what RD, bust

Cam Smith CB South Carolina

Flaws in game. Look at him 3rd RD.

O'Cyrus Torrence IOL Florida

Gator enough said. Nope

Anton Harrison  OT Oklahoma

3RD< talent

Isaiah Foskey  EDGE Notre Dame

Nothing special Later RDs

Noah Sewell LB  Oregon

Bust alert !!!!!   I don't see it at the next level, 5th rd maybe.

Rashee Rice
WR | SMU

Bust, size 50/50 crap. Harry's game. No thanks

Gervon Dexter DL Florida

Gator enough said. Nope

Dawand Jones OT Ohio State

To big and slow for the NFL. Now if he lost 50LB !!!!

Zach Harrison  EDGE Ohio State

Bust alert !!!!! One trick pony with outside move with zero flexibility.

-------------------------------------------------

I will add to this post ( don't now how to create a list post ) as I see more player info to draft day.

Finally,  I would pass on all the players listed unless the ones marked Blue fall enough or are the best player in the LOWER rounds.

When I say bust it means the are so over hyped its ridicules. Yes, I know my bust will get drafted however BIG N HARRY mistake,

ADDED     Players I'm on the fence with.  Need to see more.

Jordan Addison WR USC

Andre Carter II EDGE Army  Well I knew it was only a matter of time. BB take's a complete risk at  14, new mock draft.  I don't care if he turn's out to be LTaylor. I would fire BB right in the draft room before he made the pick. 

Josh Downs WR North Carolina

Henry To'oTo'o LB  Alabama

Edited by m haynes