2023 NFL Draft

Crimmage

Last year, my mid-round draft crush at running back was Pierre Strong Jr.

this year at RB, I’m looking at Deneric Prince from Tulsa. Haven’t seen a ton of him, but the more I do, the more I think the guy is going to be a major steal.

Here’s some workout tapes

He reminds me of Rhamondre, in a few ways. He’s a powerful runner when he’s going down hill, smooth with his cuts, appears to have soft hands in the passing game. I can’t wait to see more of him at the combine.

Oh, yeah, and he was at the Shrine Bowl

and to cap this off, here’s a mix of highlight tapes Prince put together himself (or at least posted it on his own🤣)

On 2/23/2023 at 8:48 AM, Crimmage said:

Who is your #3 CB? I've spent so much time looking at 3rd/4th round CB's that I haven't seen much of other guys. 

If the top 3 LT are gone, CB is the logical next position to go for.. simply for the fact that BB defenses seem to thrive with a true #1 CB. If Gonzalez / Witherspoon are both gone though.. I don't really like anyone at 14, so I would be trying to trade back as far as possible.

This draft isn't really stacked with talent in the first sadly. If the top 3 LT and top 2 CB are gone.. that's a pretty disappointing draft tbo. I'd be happy if they took a WR, sure.. but I just find it highly unlikely that they do given how good some of those day 2/3 guys are imo. A large factor is that they have a million picks this year and are unlikely to get any comp picks next year if they spend money in free agency. 

Would a team be crazy enough to do something like 25 and a 2024 1st for 14? I would do that all day .. I would probably even do 14 for 25, a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year to start stockpiling picks for next draft. 

For me, Witherspoon is CB1 no doubt in my mind. CB2 I have Gonzo there.

After those two,

I have, in this order, Jaylon Jones, Brian Branch, Joey Porter Jr, Cam Smith, and Garrett Williams all pretty close together.
Eli Ricks, Clark Phillips, and Tyrique Stevenson a tier below those guys.

Ringo looks like a lost puppy in man coverage way too often. He’s an athletic freak and potentially he has got the tools you want in a corner that could develop and blossom with the right staff (which, I agree with you, we do have that in our coaches for the defensive side), but we all know corner is a pressing need… and I just would be disappointed if we came away with Ringo as the top pick.

Watching him trying to change direction on a play makes my stomach upset lol

Edited by DaPatsKid98

if Devin McCourty retires before the draft, I wouldn’t hate the Kelee Ringo selection as much. I do think if he wants a long pro career, he’s gonna have to make the move to safety. I don’t see him as a starting cornerback personally 🤷‍♂️

Knowing the struggles he had last season as a rookie, if he was coming out this year instead, I would still take Kaiir Elam over Ringo

Here's one of my guys that we all forget about.

Nolan Smith is killing it tonight.

6.2 1/2  238  RAN a 4.39 40 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 40+ vertical. 

This kid doesn't touch the ground. Quicker than a cat.  He will fly up the board before draft night.  He will be just like Jags Walker and Von Miller. They were 1st/2nd round early and flew up the draft board.

Also Van Ness is going high, the hype is real. Big Man can move and is athletic, off the charts for his size 6'5 272lbs 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-combine-2023-georgia-edge-rusher-runs-faster-40-yard-dash-than-saquon-barkley-outjumps-dk-metcalf/?fbclid=IwAR3GwDtwfICT5NPc7Pe4BmC0Wu_UnBFggPxw_rXj9eQA4h54fJZXeGio3UI

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, m haynes said:

Here's one of my guys that we all forget about.

Nolan Smith is killing it tonight.

6.2 1/2  238  RAN a 4.39 40 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 40+ vertical. 

This kid doesn't touch the ground. Quicker than a cat.  He will fly up the board before draft night.  He will be just like Jags Walker and Von Miller. They were 1st/2nd round early and flew up the draft board.

Ha, just came here to ask how you all would like Nolan Smith in the first? Miller/Collins were my athletic comparisons as well. Would he be an upgrade to the LB corps or would his EDGE talents be wasted there?

This morning when I awoke, there was a thought planted in my head that I couldn’t shake…

And, now? I don’t want to shake it away.

If the Patriots come away with OT Darnell Wright and DB Brian Branch in the first ~40 picks, I would be completely content taking a KICKER in round 4🤣

Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

Brian Branch, DB, Alabama

…. I love it 🫶

Sparks the question, with a little movement… What DUO of players would you love to see the Patriots come away with?

1 hour ago, LD696 said:

Ha, just came here to ask how you all would like Nolan Smith in the first? Miller/Collins were my athletic comparisons as well. Would he be an upgrade to the LB corps or would his EDGE talents be wasted there?

You have my answer he will impact any defense, just like Parsons.

Watch his film his strength and speed are shocking. He's MY pick at 14. 

IMO he won't be there when its draft time. The biggest problem with GMs , they forget the the #1 reason to draft a player high in the draft.  Can he play and make a difference. Impact , what would Smith do for our defense, holy crap.

I have admired this guy for two years. Watch Walker tape and Smith stood out than.

EX  Why in heck do you draft a OG that has little impact in the 1st round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Trade down, get it Billy Boy !!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, m haynes said:

have admired this guy for two years. Watch Walker tape and Smith stood out then.

I remember talking with you on him before he went back to school this past year. I would’ve taken him at the end of round 1 last year happily. Nolan Smith is a menace on the edge

8 minutes ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

This morning when I awoke, there was a thought planted in my head that I couldn’t shake…

And, now? I don’t want to shake it away.

If the Patriots come away with OT Darnell Wright and DB Brian Branch in the first ~40 picks, I would be completely content taking a KICKER in round 4🤣

Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

Brian Branch, DB, Alabama

…. I love it 🫶

Sparks the question, with a little movement… What DUO of players would you love to see the Patriots come away with?

Zay Flowers

Jaxon Smith-Njigba

Easy to do if the Pats had the foresight .  BB doesn't have a clue or the make up to do what would change the dynamic of the team in just ONE draft. screw 2024 draft do it, NOW.

Here's how trade down, accumulate picks take Flowers. Than come back in the rd and get JSN !!!!!  Done, I could care less if we have to trade 2024 1st we just got the pick now.

Hows that for fixing the offense!!!!! You want a tackle sign one.

2 minutes ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

We can only wish.  PS with a trade down. 

I'm sick and tired of big 50/50 big guys.  The best WR the Pats have drafted is Marcus Jones!!!!

Pats select from TCU Q Johnson, WWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAATTTTTTTT another broken TV

Last night Combine.

I not sure what they do with 14 however I have no complaints if they take the players in red.  Would I take them at 14 no except for Smith.  IMO he's gone before we have the chance. I see him as high as  5 or 6 pick.

I have seen to many times teams/gms and fans pass on major talent because of excuses and dumb reasons.

I'm one of them.

Ex I question Parsons value based on dumb reports claiming he had maturity issues. He plays LB, I'll get one later

Nola  Smith, I don't care about anything but, if you add him to our defense, does he make a impact. I say heck ya.  He improves at least 6 position on defense just being on the field.

They get him at 14, I can't wait when he is looked at as a star and you here, how the heck did the Pats get him him at 14!!!! 😁😁

Nolan Smith -----  you all heard.  Enough said, Boom!!!

Bryan Bresee -----  I don't understand the negative talk from the Bucky's.  PFF. com stats, kiss my butt. I could care less.  Seymour says hi !!!!!     6-foot-5 and 298 pounds, Bresee ran an official 4.86-second 40

Lukas Van Ness ----- Huge moves like a point guard. Amazed how he moved with his 6'5 272 size room to add size and not slow down. . Also, Love Iowa players.

Keion White ----- Another big guy that looks the part. Size and country strong. Can also move.

Byron Young  -----  He was awesome however not for the Pats defense. He going to make someone look pretty smart taking him.  I thought he might be the next Big Willie but he can only go forward. Not comfortable in the  back pedal and hands of stone. 

YaYa Diaby   ------- Can he be Teddy?  1.56 10-yard split at 263 lbs was simply ridiculous as was his 4.51 forty. Than I watched vids.  All he does is seek and destroy.  This kid can play.

************   Zacch Pickens ----   6-foot-4, 291 pounds with an arm length of 34 3/8” and a hand size of 10 3/8” Just watch he is the perfect Patriot on the DL. He look great in drills. Nothing fancy however tree trunk legs athletic and country strong. I can't believe he a ghost in the Bucky draft world. One of my new favorite hidden gem.  Middle round pick the potential there, needs to develop with coaching.

100 min mark

Zacch Pickens Highlights - Senior Bowl - South Carolina Gamecocks - YouTube

Just watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9_rPaNUyh0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq1Peprfmf0

ADDED

@Crimmage  guy,  Dee Winters ran a 4.57 another box checked.

Brenton Cox looked horrible. Drills, bloody mess. I can't see him drafted, if he's drafted, he won't get out of camp.  Pats select in the 2nd round. WWWWHHHHAAAAATTTT!!!!!

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Nola  Smith, I don't care about anything but, if you add him to our defense, does he make a impact. I say heck ya.  He improves at least 6 position on defense just being on the field.

They get him at 14, I can't wait when he is looked at as a star and you here, how the heck did the Pats get him him at 14!!!! 😁😁

Nolan Smith -----  you all heard.  Enough said, Boom!!!

Bryan Bresee -----  I don't understand the negative talk from the Bucky's.  PFF. com stats, kiss my butt. I could care less.  Seymour says hi !!!!!     6-foot-5 and 298 pounds, Bresee ran an official 4.86-second 40

Lukas Van Ness ----- Huge moves like a point guard. Amazed how he moved with his 6'5 272 size room to add size and not slow down. . Also, Love Iowa players.

Keion White ----- Another big guy that looks the part. Size and country strong. Can also move.

Byron Young  -----  He was awesome however not for the Pats defense. He going to make someone look pretty smart taking him.  I thought he might be the next Big Willie but he can only go forward. Not comfortable in the  back pedal and hands of stone. 

YaYa Diaby   ------- Can he be Teddy?  1.56 10-yard split at 263 lbs was simply ridiculous as was his 4.51 forty. Than I watched vids.  All he does is seek and destroy.  This kid can play.

************   Zacch Pickens ----   6-foot-4, 291 pounds with an arm length of 34 3/8” and a hand size of 10 3/8” Just watch he is the perfect Patriot on the DL. He look great in drills. Nothing fancy however tree trunk legs athletic and country strong. I can't believe he a ghost in the Bucky draft world. One of my new favorite hidden gem.  Middle round pick the potential there, needs to develop with coaching.

100 min mark

Zacch Pickens Highlights - Senior Bowl - South Carolina Gamecocks - YouTube

Just watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9_rPaNUyh0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq1Peprfmf0

I would absolutely love Nolan Smith on a rookie deal for 4 years, given the price tag and age is only going up for Matthew Judon… Not that I’m complaining about what we pay him (He deserves EVERY single penny), but we all know there’s going to be major turnover sooner rather than later at our EDGE position.

Josh Uche could be dependent on what happens with that… Will he get the Chase Winovich treatment? I don’t think he will. But this year is gonna be what makes him or breaks him in NE after his breakout season last year. Will BB pass on that opportunity in Uche for the sake of grabbing Nolan Smith?