Week 15 Gameday Thread (Buck/Aikman Edition) - Green Bay Packers (5-8-0) vs. LA/St. Louis/LA Rams (4-9-0)

Striker

8 hours ago, Pugger said:

I had to smile after that throw behind Watson and then watch AR laughing and playfully slap Watson's helmet in the huddle.

I feel like that’s a more effective way of letting someone know they made a mistake. Glaring at them and ridiculing them just makes them play scared and timid. Rodgers should do more of last night and less of his regular.

Edited by packerstk7

Man, I was spoiled watching other NFL games this past weekend.  Defensively.

I got to see stunts on the DL.  Actual pass rush blitzes.  Run blitzes.  All that fun stuff.

Then I tuned in to watch us give up third and long over and over by going to a vanilla pass rush and simply cloud coverage.

But hey, at least this was a pretty pathetic Rams team and we were able to win at home.

Kind of a yawner, but....

I did like seeing Doubs out there with Watson.  Doubs looked really quick in his breaks.  But, it also looked like the Rams were going to play 2 deep safeties and dare us to take the underneath stuff all night long.

So, the Rodgers INT.  On him or Lazard?  I thought he air mailed the throw.  Guessing Rodgers feels differently as he didn't go back to Lazard after that one.

Loved the Nixon returns.  Kind of is becoming a "must" re-sign.

Clark showing up big.  Wyatt looked really good on a few reps, too.

I watched enough Enagbare....he was setting a good EDGE out there.  Not a great, make you whiff rush, but pretty steady stuff, kind of like Preston.

I tried to really watch Watson.  Man...they should put him in a hypercolor jersey just so the refs can see just how often he's being held.  Loved his catches...he is now playing with confidence.

Watched the left side of our o-line enough.  Jenkins was flat out mauling guys.  Zach Tom is so quick and athletic.  Watching him pull or get to the second and third level is impressive.  I'm not sure he couldn't play TE if he had to.

And Myers.  I saw him do some really athletic stuff inside.  

All in all....kind of a boring game.  More or less knew what the result was going to be and that was fine.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I got to see stunts on the DL.  Actual pass rush blitzes.  Run blitzes.  All that fun stuff.

Then I tuned in to watch us give up third and long over and over by going to a vanilla pass rush and simply cloud coverage.

But hey, at least this was a pretty pathetic Rams team and we were able to win at home.

I did like seeing Doubs out there with Watson.  Doubs looked really quick in his breaks.  But, it also looked like the Rams were going to play 2 deep safeties and dare us to take the underneath stuff all night long.

So, the Rodgers INT.  On him or Lazard?  I thought he air mailed the throw.  Guessing Rodgers feels differently as he didn't go back to Lazard after that one.

I watched enough Enagbare....he was setting a good EDGE out there.  Not a great, make you whiff rush, but pretty steady stuff, kind of like Preston.

I tried to really watch Watson.  Man...they should put him in a hypercolor jersey just so the refs can see just how often he's being held.  Loved his catches...he is now playing with confidence.

Watched the left side of our o-line enough.  Jenkins was flat out mauling guys.  Zach Tom is so quick and athletic.  Watching him pull or get to the second and third level is impressive.  I'm not sure he couldn't play TE if he had to.

All in all....kind of a boring game.  More or less knew what the result was going to be and that was fine.  

One thing I liked was the guys were out there battling and appeared to be having fun.  For this group to seem to get along like this after all of our struggles says a lot about them and the coaching staff.

I too am weary of our soft D on 3rd and long.  How many times does Barry have to watch our opponent convert before he figures out his "plan" stinks?  God, I hope he is gone this offseason... 

59 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

When you rewatch the pick Rodgers definitely airmailed it. Lazard might have turned a little sooner than he expected but it probably wouldn't have mattered.

Doubs and Watson have me extremely excited about the potential of this offense going into next year. You can definitely see the chemistry getting better with Rodgers week by week, they just need to stay healthy.

I don't know what their plan with Jones is but if we can get one more weapon whether it be another WR or a playmaking TE, I truly believe this offense has the potential to be our best since 2011.

I think we got out of this one without a significant injury, that's the biggest plus with this game.  Next weeks game a different animal.  IF we can win that one, who knows.  We've dug a big hole though regardless.  

My hope is Murph and Gute already know what direction they would like to take this team next year, and for the future.  Let's see if they can accomplish it, although we may never know if they do or don't.  They won't tip their hat.

The unsung hero of last night is Devondre Campbell in my opinion. The defense looks so much more competent when he's the one calling things. I want Quay to be great because he's such a nice guy but I don't know if he will ever be able to put it all together. The difference with Campbell out there was staggering. Quay was looking like a bottom 5 LB without Devondre out there but with him he was a straight playmaker.

No doubt about Campbell.  I think Walker was cut loose, allowed to play athletic football.  Wouldn't have worked against a good offense in regards to Walker, but that takes nothing from Campbell.  He's a pro.  Walker will get there, right now he's an athlete.

31 minutes ago, StatKing said:

The unsung hero of last night is Devondre Campbell in my opinion. The defense looks so much more competent when he's the one calling things. I want Quay to be great because he's such a nice guy but I don't know if he will ever be able to put it all together. The difference with Campbell out there was staggering. Quay was looking like a bottom 5 LB without Devondre out there but with him he was a straight playmaker.

Unsung hero...I can get behind that, because I felt the same way.  Campbell may not have a ton of those "splash" plays, but he is a steadying force when he is in there.

I look at Quay the way I looked at Roquan Smith.  Could be wrong, but I don't think Smith was ever the "lead" MLB.  I thought that was Trevathan.  But Smith was free to move quickly and make plays while the cerebral part of the game was given to Trevathan.

With that physical talent within Quay, I think he's going to be very good.  It'll take time for him to understand things like Campbell does right now.  But, I do feel that it will happen.

One thing I noticed this game.  Rodgers passes were not tight spirals.  I saw a lot of passes where he wasn't gripping the laces.  And not just on the quick RPO throws.  Maybe it's a thumb thing?

I guess in the past, I have seen him throw without the laces many times, but usually on those quick stand up passes.  Not the pocket passes like I saw last night.