Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

13 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

That’s where they both having the same agent comes in handy.

Maybe you tell Love that you are activating the 5th year option and once Rodgers retirement papers are in then an extension will be sorted out

I think they are represented by the same agency.    Not sure its the same agent, but yes it helps. 

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I guess I'm even more confused now. 

What facts can Rodgers refute or corroborate about a conversation between Gute and one of his colleagues? Rodgers wasn't there. He wasn't involved in anything regarding the story at all. 

How’s he not involved in the story at all if he’s what the conversation was about and his boss, whom he has a working relationship with, is allegedly saying he’s done? These executives don’t become executives by letting out huge company secrets to colleagues. What colleague out there does he trust with his job to say that to that would then talk to reporters? They can’t even email about that kind of information. Gute runs a billion dollar operation not a footlocker.

7 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

How’s he not involved in the story at all if he’s what the conversation was about and his boss, whom he has a working relationship with, is allegedly saying he’s done? These executives don’t become executives by letting out huge company secrets to colleagues. What colleague out there does he trust with his job to say that to that would then talk to reporters? They can’t even email about that kind of information. Gute runs a billion dollar operation not a footlocker.

He's not involved because he wasn't in the room where the conversation happened. I'm really not sure how this isn't clear. 

The story is about a conversation between Gute and one of his colleagues. Rodgers wasn't part of the conversation. He's not involved in the facts of the story whatsoever. His input on it is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Let me be the first to say, we appreciate your meaningless writing. Keep up the good work :)
As a secondary note....congrats on what appears to be a successful career 👍

Not at all career related—something I got roped into because of my wife’s career and family mental health issues. If you’ve read Ryan Woods personal piece on his wife, that kind of gives you an idea of what that fights about. Thanks for the kind words.

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He's not involved because he wasn't in the room where the conversation happened. I'm really not sure how this isn't clear. 

The story is about a conversation between Gute and one of his colleagues. Rodgers wasn't part of the conversation. He's not involved in the facts of the story whatsoever. His input on it is irrelevant. 

When you talk about someone else and it becomes public later on, you’ve involved them at that point. I understand that he wasn’t physically present for the conversation. It’s still about him. The moment it’s reported into the public sphere he’s definitely involved, right? 

Journalistic ethics ask for multiple sources before publishing stories like this. They’re supposed to check on their own sources validity. Now it’s about saving their homes and getting those clicks. And if no one is around to say you’re a liar before those clicks anccumulate, all the easier for dishonesty wrapped in Reporters Privilege. 

20 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Very well could happen like that.  My concern is Rodgers picks a team he wants to go to, that team will know he wants to go there and offer the Packers peanuts. 

Do you redo Rodgers contract for a year in GB and let him retire, or send him to a team for a song.

Gute needs to be careful here IMO. You can't just give him away, and I hope he gets a decent return if they go that way.

For me, it's all about the return they get, and Gute needs to hold onto "Rodgers COULD return to Green Bay" as leverage against a trading team. JMO

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible to redo Rodger's contract. The cash he's due this year is fully guaranteed. It can only be turned down if he retires. It's just a matter of whether the Packers will pay it or the next team will pay it. 

I read on Twitter that the best way to think about it is this: Rodgers decides if he wants to play, the Packers decide the team he plays for.

55 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Perhaps he got a second source due to the McGinn report.

At least Schefter went with “accumulation of sources” to tell us Rodgers wanted out. At least then you can say he’s reporting something he’s heard in a few places and not directly attempt to quote the GM from a single source about something he can’t actually talk about outside his office.

3 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible to redo Rodger's contract. The cash he's due this year is fully guaranteed. It can only be turned down if he retires. It's just a matter of whether the Packers will pay it or the next team will pay it. 

I read on Twitter that the best way to think about it is this: Rodgers decides if he wants to play, the Packers decide the team he plays for.

No cap expert, but I think he can move some money around, not sure what that entails or how much.  I think he said as much on McAfee, that he'd have to make some adjustments.

6 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I think you have that last bit all wrong. Rodgers decides everything, because his money is full guaranteed. No team willingly trades for him when he states he won’t play for anyone else. So Green Bay has to play him if he wishes, or cut him and pay him. So all roads lead back to Rodgers deciding everything. Way to get bent over last yeah, Gute. Made the wrong call now we’re stuck with him until he retires. We all would’ve done the same, but Gute gets to take some of the sword on this one. Bad spot.

Question for the masses:

I found it curious at Rodgers last golf outing he was quick to dismiss the 49ers as a destination for him.  

Do you think he talked about that with the Packers after the season?  Do you think Rodgers or his agent contacted the niners?   Could be the niners don't have the money or draft choices to give?

Just thought it was curious of all the teams, he singled them out.

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

No cap expert, but I think he can move some money around, not sure what that entails or how much.  I think he said as much on McAfee, that he'd have to make some adjustments.

They can move a portion of his 15 million  option bonus to a signing bonus. Between 4-12 million in cap space created by spreading the hit into the future, likely around 9 that’ll hit next year instead. There is no base salary remaining to convert this year nor next year. Next year they could potentially push another 20 Mil of Rodgers payment off if he keeps going.