Should the Texans replace Caserio this offseason?

PAtexansFAN_99

Well... should they?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. YES OR NO!

I think we've reached the point where nobody who works for the Texans right now definitely gets to keep their job aside from ownership. I was a big Caserio believer myself. I thought he'd provide the competitive edge we'd need to turn things around, but after watching this garbage fire for two years, I'm really not sure anymore. 

My personal theory is that McNair made the Lovie Smith decision. It didn't seem like Caserio's decision at all, maybe that's incorrect I don't know, but assuming I'm correct you could potentially blame Caserio's perceived lack of goodness to the fact that he's being forced to build a team for a coach who's well behind the times. 

Even if we pretend that's why the players aren't working right, there's still very little to hang your hat on in terms of what Caserio's done to turn this team around. I think probably next year we'll find out a lot about him, assuming he's retained, when we get to see how the 2022 draft class progresses in their sophomore season. 

I’ve always been of the mindset that if the Texans can’t win 5-6 games in 2023, Caserio’s seat gets hot, and he’s out in 2024 if they can’t get 8-10 wins.

I’ve liked what he’s done, for the most part - can live without the dumb trades of 3rd day picks for guys who he cuts weeks later, but the big moves he’s made have been a net positive. The only thing that deserves scrutiny are his HC hires; But I’m also of the belief both HC hire’s were heavily influenced by Jack Easterby. 

This offseason will probably be the deciding offseason for me. He’s cleared the cap, created a war chest of picks and has a small (very small) core group of players to build around. Now that he’s done cleaning the stench, he’s got to build the winner we were promised.

• Like 2

I’m more on the fence about this than most people probably, but at the end of the day all I really want from this off-season is Bryce Young. If Caserio is the guy to draft him, great! If someone else is the guy to draft him, also great! 

I do like a lot of the moves Caserio has made. Collins, King, Nelson, Hughes, Green, Tavierre Thomas, and Ogbo are all solid pickups considering the cap space he’s had to work with. While the 2021 draft looked a lot better a year ago than it does today, still that class has given them a potential WR2 in Collins, good rotational depth in Lopez, and Mills should be a good backup. He nailed the Watson trade and the 2022 class also has some good returns early on. 

However, I feel like he has made an unnecessary mess of things when it has come to the cap in some instances. He restructured deals for Mercilus, Cunningham, and Lawson only to get rid of them and create $25 million in dead cap space in 2022. If it was just those deals he messed up in the first few months on the job or the late round picks he trades for players he cuts months later, I could be more forgiving, but then this year he’s continued to make questionable moves. He resigned Pharaoh Brown, KGH, and Britt to bad deals costing them another $10 million and then he completely bungled the Cooks situation where he could have come away with the Cowboys’ 2nd round pick. Instead they held on to him and he’s probably is only going garner a late round pick come the off-season. 

So if McNair decides he wants a completely clean slate starting this off-season when they no longer have Easterby repelling free agents, the first overall pick in addition to another top-15 pick, a ton of cap space, and the ability to get a top tier coach/GM combo, I would be fine with it. Caserio has made too many mistakes to make me confident that he’s the one that should be able to capitalize on the assets they have now and this is such an important off-season for the team to risk messing it up. 

Ultimately, though, I don’t think Caserio will be fired and he has proven that he is fully capable of making good moves, so he has a golden opportunity to right the ship with everything he’s been building towards this off-season. He just needs to limit the mistakes moving forward. Everyone knew things were going to be a mess for two seasons before there was some light at the end of the tunnel, so his mistakes up until this point don’t really matter. But they are at the point now where they do — there is hope on the horizon — blowing $35 million on 6 players this year that played a total of 10 games or losing out on draft capital is no longer acceptable. I hope for all our sakes he’s able to pull it off (and drafting Bryce Young would be a really great start)!

• Like 2

What is Caserio being replaced for? We all knew from the beginning this was a 3-4yr rebuild. BOB washed this team of anything relevant and he walked right into the Deshaun situation. I'd argue the Culley-Lovey hires were purposely done to get placeholders until they get the HC they really want and are serious about being a competent football team. No sense in hiring one of the hot candidates last yr if you were going to stick him with a bland roster. Would have been a wasted year for him with no chance of getting his Bryce Young to QB the ship. Caserio is safe until the Deshaun picks are used. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Ya, we really don’t. 2024 it opens up big time, but only about 40 mil next offseason

This is considering a few contracts are still on the books - we pretty much know Brandin Cooks is gone, as is Justin Britt (who is effectively retired). Those two alone represent close to $20mm in cap space, so that ups the number to $60mm available.

There are probably a few more cuts in there (Eric Murray) and a few restructures in there to account for (Christian Kirksey, AJ Cann) so that number can get north of $75mm with a few moves. 

Net/net, the Texans don’t have any extensions or critical re-signings to account for, so that money is for bringing in real talent. Maybe not a Jags-esque spending spree, but 1-2 high level components are out there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blaze said:

What is Caserio being replaced for? We all knew from the beginning this was a 3-4yr rebuild. BOB washed this team of anything relevant and he walked right into the Deshaun situation. I'd argue the Culley-Lovey hires were purposely done to get placeholders until they get the HC they really want and are serious about being a competent football team. No sense in hiring one of the hot candidates last yr if you were going to stick him with a bland roster. Would have been a wasted year for him with no chance of getting his Bryce Young to QB the ship. Caserio is safe until the Deshaun picks are used. 

I really don't think this team's been intentionally tanking this whole time. Everyone was expecting this year's team to be better than last years. 

33 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I really don't think this team's been intentionally tanking this whole time. Everyone was expecting this year's team to be better than last years. 

It all came down to Mills. If he was sufficient, they would have been happy having 2 firsts with their own in the top 7ish. Mills sucked so I believe they went full #1 overall pick. My hope is Chicago and Denver wins 1 more so the Texans can comfortably compete 2 out the next 4 games. Chiefs should handle them pretty easily. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Blaze said:

It all came down to Mills. If he was sufficient, they would have been happy having 2 firsts with their own in the top 7ish. Mills sucked so I believe they went full #1 overall pick. My hope is Chicago and Denver wins 1 more so the Texans can comfortably compete 2 out the next 4 games. Chiefs should handle them pretty easily. 

If Pierce is a no go, then we’re cooked. Which he should be IR’d and shut down for the season with the ankle injury and already amassing 200+ carries.

I really don’t want to see Sting back but with them not IR’ing him, I bet he plays again 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

If Pierce is a no go, then we’re cooked. Which he should be IR’d and shut down for the season with the ankle injury and already amassing 200+ carries.

I really don’t want to see Sting back but with them not IR’ing him, I bet he plays again 

I want to agree on Sting but with him missing his Jr yr at LSU, I think he needs as many reps as possible going into a sophomore year with expectations.

• Like 1