Raiders to release QB Derek Carr (Page 73)

RaidersAreOne

"I don't think that would be best for me," Carr said of extending the deadline. 

"That's for [the Raiders] to talk about," he said when asked about the team's refusal to allow conversations. "I'm just obeying the rules. If it gets to the date [and I get released], then I'll be able to talk to all my friends."

Carr maintained that he and his representatives would still like to be authorized to speak to potential trade partners, but the Raiders have not yet granted that permission. Carr has a no-trade clause in his contract and said he would utilize it if he deemed it necessary.

Edited by Jeremy408

5 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Doesn’t feel like a trade is gonna happen. It’s already gonna be Feb 3rd. Raiders seem to not trust Carr and his agent with them not giving them permission to speak with teams. Just doesn’t seem like there is a path for a trade in the next 11 days. Hope I am wrong but it’s really hard to see it happening 

I think there's a pretty real possibility that they end up keeping him past the February 15th deadline and try to trade him when the new league year begins. Brady retiring helps our case but the Packers reportedly shopping Rodgers doesn't really help us as I'm assuming a lot of the teams that are interested in Carr would prefer to wait on Rodgers. 

6 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35579592/raiders-qb-derek-carr-not-extending-contract-trigger-date

"I don't think that would be best for me," Carr said of extending the deadline.

"That's for [the Raiders] to talk about," he said when asked about the team's refusal to allow conversations. "I'm just obeying the rules. If it gets to the date [and I get released], then I'll be able to talk to all my friends."

Carr maintained that he and his representatives would still like to be authorized to speak to potential trade partners, but the Raiders have not yet granted that permission. Carr has a no-trade clause in his contract and said he would utilize it if he deemed it necessary.

I think it'd make sense for him to extend the deadline to the day of or before the new league year begins. That'd give the team more time to work on a potential deal which would allow him to keep his current contract. But it'd also ensure that he gets to enter free agency as soon as things open up while teams have cap space if a trade isn't worked out. As BP said I'm assuming they're not giving him permission because they don't want him to negotiate in bad faith and work out a deal he can sign as soon as he gets released. And I'd bet that the team will only allow him to talk to a team(s) that they agree to a trade with to ensure Carr's okay with it. 

The team really didn't do themselves any favors with the way that they structured his deal though.

Edited by NYRaider

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think it'd make sense for him to extend the deadline to the day of or before the new league year begins. That'd give the team more time to work on a potential deal which would allow him to keep his current contract. But it'd also ensure that he gets to enter free agency as soon as things open up while teams have cap space if a trade isn't worked out. As BP said I'm assuming they're not giving him permission because they don't want him to negotiate in bad faith and work out a deal he can sign as soon as he gets released. And I'd bet that the team will only allow him to talk to a team(s) that they agree to a trade with to ensure Carr's okay with it. 

The team really didn't do themselves any favors with the way that they structured his deal though.

This is of course the reason

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

This is of course the reason

Even though Carr and his camp seem to be pretty upset with the team, they have to respect the fact that the new regime made their decision very early on and structured his deal in a way that gives him full control of how things play out. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Even though Carr and his camp seem to be pretty upset with the team, they have to respect the fact that the new regime made their decision very early on and structured his deal in a way that gives him full control of how things play out. 

Actually the reality is no they don't. The only thing that they have to be loyal to is Derek Carr and whats best for him.

Actually the reality is no they don't. The only thing that they have to be loyal to is Derek Carr and whats best for him.

Obviously they need to be loyal to Carr and look out for what's in his best interest. But even if they're upset with the new regime, they set Carr up to land on his feet with his next team. Either he gets to pick his new team via trade/keep his current deal or he'll have a month to prepare for free agency and hit the market when teams have money to spend.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Obviously they need to be loyal to Carr and look out for what's in his best interest. But even if they're upset with the new regime, they set Carr up to land on his feet with his next team. Either he gets to pick his new team via trade/keep his current deal or he'll have a month to prepare for free agency and hit the market when teams have money to spend.

Sure but if he gets cut he can literally get to choose anywhere you want rather than just the teams that are willing to trade for him

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Can't wait until this dork is off the team and we get $40+M off the books. That's enormous. 

Getting a pick would be nice but the real home run is the cap space. 

It's crazy how his team has handled things, but guys like Jimmy G, Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers were more graceful about their teams moving on from them and they all actually won a ton of games. 

• Like 1

Sure but if he gets cut he can literally get to choose anywhere you want rather than just the teams that are willing to trade for him

That's true but he also sacrifices his current contract which is fully guaranteed in 2023, is set to pay him over $40M on the last two years of the deal, and features a no trade clause. I don't think he'll get as big of a deal in free agency or a no trade clause but he'll probably get more guaranteed money after 2023.

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Can't wait until this dork is off the team and we get $40+M off the books. That's enormous. 

Getting a pick would be nice but the real home run is the cap space. 

It's 36mil next year I think, this front office allotted about 20mil next year to Chandler Jones. No faith so far in this team spending FA money wisely. I'd rather pay Carr and force a team to give up draft compensation. 

That said if something like Lamar or Rodgers or whatever is a possibility, sure save the cash for that. If we are just signing FAs I'm not excited about that money being spent well tbh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's true but he also sacrifices his current contract which is fully guaranteed in 2023, is set to pay him over $40M on the last two years of the deal, and features a no trade clause. I don't think he'll get as big of a deal in free agency or a no trade clause but he'll probably get more guaranteed money after 2023.

Obviously he would be able to get 40 per over two years. He'll get more like 4year 160ish I would think with the back two being team options. Burrow and Lamar are going to be getting 50mil+, as would Tua if he didn't have the concussion issue. Lamar and Burrow aren't even getting the FA bidding their numbers up. Carr will get 40ish per, no doubt. He'd upgrade every team in the NFC South so they have to bid against one another. Then he has potential as a Titan or Colt. Jets if Jimmy isn't their guy could make sense too. Who knows what Texan's plan is, but maybe Carr at this point is less of a "oh God our bust's brother" and might be viewed as a very good bridge especially if they are wanting Jalen Carter or Will Anderson to start Demeco's D and swing next year for a QB. 

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

Obviously he would be able to get 40 per over two years. He'll get more like 4year 160ish I would think with the back two being team options. Burrow and Lamar are going to be getting 50mil+, as would Tua if he didn't have the concussion issue. Lamar and Burrow aren't even getting the FA bidding their numbers up. Carr will get 40ish per, no doubt. He'd upgrade every team in the NFC South so they have to bid against one another. Then he has potential as a Titan or Colt. Jets if Jimmy isn't their guy could make sense too. Who knows what Texan's plan is, but maybe Carr at this point is less of a "oh God our bust's brother" and might be viewed as a very good bridge especially if they are wanting Jalen Carter or Will Anderson to start Demeco's D and swing next year for a QB. 

I think he'll get something like 3 years and 90-100M ($30-33M APY) but with more guaranteed money on the backend. The Carr situation will be pretty unique though if he does end up hitting free agency because good starters in their prime almost never hit the open market. The only one that I can even think of is Kirk Cousins.

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think Carr about the money. He'll get paid what he's worth but it looks like he's trying to make sure he gets the best situation possible in terms of the team he goes to