BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

Landing Spots and Starting Opportunities

Brian Branch - Detroit:  Listed behind Trace Walker (Achilles) and could be a CGJ replacement in 2024 but will likely need an injury to see serious playing time but should be in the rotation.

Sam LaPorta - Detroit: Instant Starter on one of the highest flying offenses in the league last year. Hunting for targets against the corpse of Marvin Jones.

Keeanu Benton - Pittsburgh: Good shot at at least being the starting NT over a JAG like Adams. Gets to learn from one of the best in Heyward on how to hone his craft.

Sydney Brown - Philadelphia: Should be in the mix to vi for some playing time in the Eagles secondary. The Safety room is a blank canvas with only UDFA Blankenship returning from last year.

Andrew Vorhees - Baltimore: Red Shirt first year to recover from injury before taking over at a spot inside on the OL. Zeitler is in the final year of his contract and is getting up there in years. Always a 2024 pick in my mind.

Olu Oluwatimi - Seattle: At least looking at a training camp battle with a Journeyman signed to a 1 year deal. I like his long term chances of bolstering the Hawks OL. 

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 4

The Detroit offense didn't really get going until they phased the tight end out of the receiving rotation, but sure, maybe LaPorta gets involved in the passing game like Hockenson didn't. Agree that Branch is CGJ replacement next year, Kerby Joseph has clearly locked down a starting job across from him imo. Would not be surprised at all if Olu and Benton were starting Week 1.

FYI, the Baltimore Corviknights name was moved on the spreadsheet's 2023 Free Agents page, but none of their players, so the list of FAs per team is off by one from Baltimore down to Cuba. Gotta say I was amused to see i could ERFA tag Bailey Zappe if I really wanted to.

1 hour ago, SirA1 said:

Sydney Brown - Philadelphia: Should be in the mix to vi for some playing time in the Eagles secondary. The Safety room is a blank canvas with only UDFA Blankenship returning from last year.

Assuming they don’t bring in another established vet (big if at this stage) Brown will get plenty of work. This is the highest the Eagles drafted a safety in over a decade 

• Like 1

Chill Bijan and John Syty

“Roschon is a god,” Texas’ Bijan Robinson said then.

Bears Southwest area scout John Syty said he had never written such a positive evaluation of a player’s character.

“This human being is wired differently,” Syty said Saturday. “The more time you spend around him, the more you realize that you are probably the one who has things you need to work on, not him. . . .

And this was the one thing giving me a quick fleeting pause about Gonzo I had mentioned to someone in this league I forget to who. He almost quit football in high school too because he wasn’t getting playing time. He doesn’t have that same Dawg in him right now like Witherspoon but we will see how my guy turns out. I hope for the best but he might have that CJ Henderson personality… and that didn’t work out well for us before. But he plays with more swagger on the field than this would lead one to believe.

When visiting the facility, Mike Tomlin inquired about why the breakout junior transferred to Oregon after beginning his career with Colorado. Gonzalez explained that he was simply following his position coach to his new school. Tomlin was hoping to hear him say something along the lines of facing better competition but was left underwhelmed by Gonzalez's answer. 

Later that day, Tomlin was then heard telling one of the Steelers stars, Minkah Fitzpatrick, that he didn't think Gonzalez had the "competitive edge" and that they wouldn't be seeing him again. 

"Gonzo isn't competitive because he only changed schools because he liked his coach" is the funniest **** I've heard all weekend

NFL coaches are just wired so ******* weird

EDIT: it's even funnier when you remember, as I'm sure Tomlin didn't, that Colorado and Oregon are in the same conference. What better competition did he think Gonzalez was going against, the rest of the depth chart?

Edited by Blue
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Bill clearly thinks otherwise

now I kinda hope New England beats the Steelers in Pittsburgh next year and Gonzalez goes over to Tomlin just to say "good to see you again"

Edited by Blue
  • Like 2