BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ricky Stromberg landed in Washington, where they have a weak OL, but a strong C group having just signed Nick Gates to a 3 year deal. Unless he kicks to OG, Stromberg looks like a backup...as even long time starter Chase Roullier is still on the roster there. Some experts believe that Stromberg is a swing C/OG, so...LOL if he gets moved.

Roullier was rumored to be a cut even before the Stromberg pick. At worst, Stromberg competes with Gates for the starting job. It's not a strong group at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Blue said:

Roullier was rumored to be a cut even before the Stromberg pick. At worst, Stromberg competes with Gates for the starting job. It's not a strong group at all.

Good luck to Gates having to compete with former Kaiju legend Sam Cosmi for the starting OG spot.

• Like 1

2024 BDL Mock Draft 1.0

Keep in mind that obviously at this point this mock is more meant as a list of names that I or other draft sources I like find interesting. I have at best watched a few of these guys in periphery viewing, I have not scouted any of them yet. Most of these guys need to take leaps in their game to end up going this high so we'll see how this group pans out over the next year or so. Also, the draft order I just threw together real quick so don't worry too much about it either, my opinion on teams will change a lot over the next two months as we finalize 3ups/downs and FA. 

Round 1
1. Seoul Dragons: Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State - Seoul drafted Anthony Richardson knowing that he was a long-term project. While it would not surprise me at all to see them go for the BDL method of grabbing multiple quarterbacks and seeing what happens, I could also see them committing to Richardson and grabbing him the top offensive weapon in the draft.
2. Anchorage Trappers (from Singapore): Caleb Williams, QB, USC - Anchorage on the other hand, we know will grab a top quarterback prospect just to see what happens. With Burrow due for a big payday next year, Anchorage probably wouldn't hate having some options at the quarterback position.
3. Camden Hood Rats: Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina - If Camden is picking this high next year, it's because Justin Fields ultimately did not pan out, or at least wasn't good enough to not think about a replacement. Maye could be the top quarterback off the board in a lot of other drafts.
4. Raleigh Firebirds: Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame - Jordan Mailata's cheap deal ends next year and with Matthew Bergeron likely playing guard in Atlanta, Raleigh needs a right tackle as well. Joe Alt has to take another step next year to be a top 5 pick but he seems headed in that direction.
5. Ivory Coast Black Rhinos: Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama - Ivory Coast seems pretty loaded at corner right now but after this season both Trevon Diggs and A.J. Terrell will be free agents and Greg Newsome will have one year left. While I don't expect the Black Rhinos to lose all three players, they could look to add more to the room.
6. Greenland Polar Bears: Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia - It will be very interesting to see where Bowers goes after this next season. He's a blue chip talent but plays a position that is undervalued. Greenland takes him here to hopefully give them an upgrade over Cole Kmet.
7. Lancaster Werewolves: Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State - Evan Neal and Trevor Penning both failed to solidify themselves as franchise tackles in their rookie years for different reasons. If one or both fail to step up again this season, Lancaster will need to look to the draft once again for a potential upgrade.
8. Anchorage Trappers (from Hungary): Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama - EDGE was a position that Anchorage could've addressed in this past draft but they went in other directions. After this season, only Aidan Hutchinson and Sam Hubbard will be under contract at the position.
9. Gotham Gashslayers: Maason Smith, INT, LSU - The interior defensive line was the big position that I thought Gotham might address going into the draft that they avoided entirely. They do have Chris Jones, but he will be a free agent after this season. Maason Smith was injured last year but has a ton of potential.
10. Baltimore Corviknights: J.T. Tuimoloau, EDGE, Ohio State - Tuimoloau is another player with a lot of potential. He showed flashes last year and can go this high if he stays consistent. Baltimore only has Kwity Paye, who has only been ok thus far in his career, on the roster past this season.
11. Berlin Blitzkrieg: Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State - Berlin has a thousand pass rushers, but are any of them outside of Trey Hendrickson BDL-starter quality? There is breakout potential in his group but if none of them get there, Berlin could be addressing the position early in this draft.
12. Cuba Smugglers: Jer'Zahn Newton, INT, Illinois - Newton is a bit smaller but he's disruptive and that's something Berlin could use on the interior of their defensive line. They have some solid space eaters but need someone who has more splash play potential.
13. New Orleans Jazz: Jeremiah Trotter Jr., LB, Clemson - New Orleans can go a few different directions here but ultimately in this mock they decide to go after a strong talent at LB. They added some late round and PFA guys in Daiyan Henley and DeMarvion Overshown but if Trotter plays to his potential, he could be difficult to pass on here.
14. Anchorage Trappers: Donovan Jackson, OG, Ohio State - Jamaree Salyer could take a big jump this year for Anchorage, but outside of him they only have guards who are passable at best. Jackson flashed last year playing with three 2023 draft picks on the offensive line, but has to show he can hold up and impress without that other talent around him.
15. Rome Eternals: Kalen King, CB, Penn State - Rome has an expensive and/or underperforming group of corners that they look to add to here. King is extremely physical but is very raw and has a lot to clean up technically if he wants to go this high.
16. Cancun Kaiju: Malik Nabers, WR, LSU - Chris Olave was a good pick and Cancun hopes that the change in scenery will help Elijah Moore, but they still need to add more weapons for Mahomes. Nabers was productive last year in the SEC and played better as the year went on.

Round 2
1. Seoul Dragons: Michael Hall Jr., INT, Ohio State - With the dozens of picks Seoul has made over the past few drafts, one position that they have not used much draft capital on is defensive tackle. This shows in their roster as they have no lock option next to Dexter Lawrence. Here they address this need early.
2. Anchorage Trappers (from Singapore): Emeka Egbuka, WR, Ohio State - Despite drafting Jaxon Smith-Njigba early in this past draft, Anchorage is still somewhat thin at the WR position due to Jameson Williams' gambling issues. They have some breakout options on the roster but I'd expect them to address the position early all the same.
3. Camden Hood Rats: Chop Robinson, EDGE, Penn State - Both Josh Allen and Montez Sweat were brought back on 5th year option deals, but there is a possibility that at least one doesn't make it back on the roster next offseason. If so, they could add a pass rusher here.
4. Raleigh Firebirds: Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa - Darius Slay is a free agent after this season and they lack solid outside options outside of him. DeJean is a great athlete who showed off good ball skills last year.
5. Ivory Coast Black Rhinos: Quinn Ewers - Aaron Rodgers is 39 and on the last year of his deal. Not only that, but if Ivory Coast is picking this high, it means something went wrong with his Jets tenure as well. Ivory Coast grabs a replacement here. Ewers could go higher than this and could also go lower, if he comes out at all.
6. Greenland Polar Bears: Andrew Mukuba, S, Clemson - Greenland did not add a safety in this past draft despite being very thin at the position. Here they look to grab a partner for Justin Simmons. Mukuba is a talented player but positional value could ultimately drop him lower than this.
7. Lancaster Werewolves: Leonard Taylor, INT, Miami - Lancaster addressed the interior defensive line in the past draft but could stand to add a bigger body to that group. Taylor is a former five star recruit who has played sparingly so far, but is in line for a bigger role this upcoming season.
8. Hungary Hippos: JC Latham, OT, Alabama - Most of the offensive lineman on Hungary's roster are journeymen types. They can get the job done for another season but they take Latham to get younger and potentially better at right tackle.
9. Gotham Gashslayers: Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas - Sanders showed some strong athletic traits and potential last season and played well overall for the Longhorns. While he's no Brock Bowers, he could slide his way into this range. Gotham takes him here looking to upgrade Adam Trautman.
10. Baltimore Corviknights: D.J. James, CB, Auburn - The Baltimore cornerback room is rough both in pure talent and in depth. James transferred from Oregon and played well last year, but needs to take another step to go this high.
11. Berlin Blitzkrieg: Kris Jenkins, INT, Michigan - The Blitzkrieg have a to of big bodies on the interior of their defensive line, plus DeMarvin Leal, who has an unclear role at this point. Looking for more of a penetrator could be a priority for Berlin going into the next offseason.
12. Cuba Smugglers: Rome Odunze, WR, Washington - The wide receiver room looks pretty good for Cuba right now but they lack a big-bodied threat on the outside. Odunze could provide that at 6'3" and 210 pounds.
13. New Orleans Jazz: Raheim Sanders, RB, Arkansas - There is no doubt that the Jazz win off of the back of Josh Allen's arm, but finding a way to make the offense more balanced can always help. Enter Sanders, who is an exceptionally fast running back who can add an explosive element to the offense.
14. Anchorage Trappers: Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas - Anchorage again adds to their wide receiver corps here. Worthy at 6'1" and 163 pounds makes Jordan Addison look bulky but there is talent there. The size likely pushes him down the board a little until a team is willing to take the gamble.
15. Rome Eternals: Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU - Rome currently has three offensive tackles making over $11,000 and all three are close to or over 30 years old. Rome added one large offensive lineman in this past draft, and while Suamataia is not quite as big as O'Cyrus Torrence, he's a big body that could slot in at right tackle.
16. Cancun Kaiju: Christian Mahogany, OG, Boston College - Mahogany is coming off of a knee injury last year but could fill the hole opposite former teammate Zion Johnson in Cancun.

Other names to watch: Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin; Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida State; Graham Barton, OT, Duke; Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame; Cooper Bebe, OG, Kansas State; Bralen Trice, EDGE, Washington; Javon Bullard, S, Georgia; Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami

• Like 7

Chase, Jamo, Jaxon, Emeka, Worthy would be fun. Dallas Turner is a dirty player but could bring some literal and figurative edge to our team. I like Verse more even despite his age but it’s so early. Guard is a good guess. Also Caleb would absolutely be my pick at 1.2 there no question. Great work Rack

6 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Chase, Jamo, Jaxon, Emeka, Worthy would be fun. Dallas Turner is a dirty player but could bring some literal and figurative edge to our team. I like Verse more even despite his age but it’s so early. Guard is a good guess. Also Caleb would absolutely be my pick at 1.2 there no question. Great work Rack

My biggest goal though is to not fall in love with any prospect so I do not trade up

2 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Me too. This league will never vote for a back to back champion so if it can’t be me I like the Kaiju

We had a back to back champ in like the first three seasons, lol. EDIT: I take it back, I interrupted mdb's hopes of a triple crown.

Edited by Blue