BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

1 minute ago, SirA1 said:

It's not for new contracts. Ridley is also a special case since he was suspended for a year. 

For FA purposes a player with only a 5th year left is basically on a 1 year contract.

Ahhh the good ole “exceptions”

13 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

It's pretty much always been that way for players that for some reason didn't get their 5th year option used in BDL.

They are on 1 year deals for purposes of BDL FA.

Edited by SirA1

5 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

It's a deeply unwanted exception but there's no other way to do it.

We can't just take the 5th year option on new contracts and add it in because several teams in the past have ripped up the 5th year option deal to lower the cap hit, and the numbers don't always add up to the new total if you just take the cap hits and add them together.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blue said:

It's a deeply unwanted exception but there's no other way to do it.

We can't just take the 5th year option on new contracts and add it in because several teams in the past have ripped up the 5th year option deal to lower the cap hit, and the numbers don't always add up to the new total if you just take the cap hits and add them together.

But they didn’t do that. It’s not ripped up. He’s under contract for 5 more seasons. The extension average only lists the last 4 years and doesn’t take into account this year.

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

But they didn’t do that. It’s not ripped up. He’s under contract for 5 more seasons. The extension average only lists the last 4 years and doesn’t take into account this year.

They very obviously did. His 5th year option was $10.7 million and Spotrac now lists his cap hit for this season at just under $5 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ed-oliver-29044/

2 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I’m not extending him… regardless. I just know other people will face this thing as well on players they actually want to extend.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

They very obviously did. His 5th year option was $10.7 million and Spotrac now lists his cap hit for this season at just under $5 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/ed-oliver-29044/

So then the average should be less then 17 million per year if the new contract is 4 years 68 million and they lost out 5 years of contracts.

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

So then the average should be less then 17 million per year if the new contract is 4 years 68 million and they lost out 5 years of contracts.

What in the world are you talking about

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

What in the world are you talking about

Spotrac lists his contract as 4 years 68 million but on the breakdown of years he is clearly under contract for the next 5. And those aren’t void years. I 5th year signed him with the option of extending him so that’s a new contract he is getting this offseason. The average shouldn’t be 17 million since in the first year of his new contract (he hasn’t played for me yet on this new contract) it is not being accounted for in that average per year.

Just now, Scoundrel said:

Spotrac lists his contract as 4 years 68 million but on the breakdown of years he is clearly under contract for the next 5. And those aren’t void years. I 5th year signed him with the option of extending him so that’s a new contract he is getting this offseason. The average shouldn’t be 17 million since in the first year of his new contract (he hasn’t played for me yet on this new contract) it is not being accounted for in that average per year.

Correct. Who is "they" and how did they "lose out 5 years of contracts"

Just now, RedGold said:

I actually agree with Scoundrel on Ed Oliver’s contract,  Spotrac has that messed up.  It was an extension and they just listed the AAV of the new money

I do too, and my proposed solution is adding the 5th year option to the extension total and dividing by 5 for the 75% amount. But I don't know if that's currently allowed or if it was ruled a no-no at some point.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I actually agree with Scoundrel on Ed Oliver’s contract,  Spotrac has that messed up.  It was an extension and they just listed the AAV of the new money

Thats my understanding for how a Quinnen extension would work.  If they keep the 5th year option and just add years to it, there's an AAV for this year and a different one for the next 4 years.  You add it all up and multiply by .75.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Thats my understanding for how a Quinnen extension would work.  If they keep the 5th year option and just add years to it, there's an AAV for this year and a different one for the next 4 years.  You add it all up and multiply by .75.

Should be the 5th year price plus the years added imo. Not the AAV of the first year.