BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

lotta teams with mid QB play thinking they're going to be playoff contenders

Trash talk aside, I don't think anybody outside of a couple teams go into the season expecting that they're gonna be bad. Injuries, especially early in the season, really determine a lot.

Edited by Blue

1 hour ago, Blue said:

lotta teams with mid QB play thinking they're going to be playoff contenders

Trash talk aside, I don't think anybody outside of a couple teams go into the season expecting that they're gonna be bad. Injuries, especially early in the season, really determine a lot.

Yeah not all teams can have an elite QB like me 

• Like 1

When everyone else was posting their offseason reviews, I was knee deep in my positional rankings. 

Not that anyone cares, but....

RALEIGH OFFSEASON IN REVIEW

After the draft, the plan of the offseason revealed itself to me. 

Embrace risk, chase upside, build the best team I can that I think can be even better in 2024.

QB

Additions: Bryce Young (21)

When the opportunity to trade up to number 2 revealed itself, I chose not to be scared off by Young’s historically small size and take him for the playmaking upside he possesses. Bryce is now the poster child (quite literally….get it) for the philosophy of the offseason. I’ll be chasing a backup/bridge QB in the tank

RB

Additions: Kareem Hunt (27)

With a very expensive Christian McCaffrey in the fold, the plan was to get value depth behind him. Hunt is admittedly plan Q in free agency as I chased several other RB’s who got bid up past my budget. I chose to take Hunt at vet minimum, hope he latches on with a team and gives me 2 years of solid production as a #2 or #3 back. Another addition in the tank is needed.

Pass Catchers

Additions: Quinten Johnston (21), Diontae Johnson (26), Darius Slayton (26), Cortland Sutton (27), Michael Thomas (30)

This position got the biggest overhaul this season. After the decision to trade away Davante Adams at the deadline and go full rebuild the WR corps needed a full makeover. Johnston, my WR 2 was my WR target after JSN went early. He is the WR in this draft that has the ability and the prototype to be a true alfa receiver. His game has serious inconsistencies and question marks which lead to his BDL draft drop. After Johnston, I continued to add big production upside with question marks in trading a 5th rounder for Courtland Sutton. After showing the makings of a #1 WR a few years ago injuries and inconsistencies have pushed that season as but a distant memory. With the addition of Sean Payton in Denver I am banking on Courtland Sutton bouncing back. If he gets traded, we’ll see if he finds himself in a favorable situation.Lots of ifs here, but we are embracing the risk.

Once we hit free agency, I decided to embrace the chaos more by signing Michael Thomas. If he is finally right, I got myself a massive steal and a true leader in the WR room while I see what Johnston is in the league, if not, all I lose is cap space. To counter that I also went after Diontae Johnson, who is a great route runner and gives my team a younger and reliable WR with experience to grow with my rookie QB. Lastly, I added Darius Slayton, a player as an Eagles fan, I think is really underrated. He makes big plays and always seems to burn the Eagles even with inconsistent QB play. I spent a lot of money and resources to bring Raleigh a competitive WR group to complement 2 of the NFL’s most unique pass catching options in McCaffrey and Mark Andrews. If Bryce Young is good, he should have weapons.

OL

Additions: Nick Saldiveri (22), Wanya Morris (22), Matthew Begeron (23), Connor Williams (26), Dalton Risner (27), Jack Conklin (28)

Another big departure here in trading Laremy Tunsil. My philosophy was to free up the cap space to improve other areas by shedding 16k+ of Tunsil and replacing him with the $500 salary of Jordan Mailata. While that is a drop off, I don’t feel it is a massively significant one. With Mailata and Dickerson and Seumalo, I feel like I came into the offseason with 3/5th of my OL in really great shape with my focus building depth and finding the other 2 spots.

In the draft, I feel like I got a really good deal in an underrated prospect in Matthew Bergeron. Atlanta traded up to get him to slide in at LG immediately, I felt like I have a strong asset as a swing G and future at RG with Issac hitting BDL FA next year. In PFA, I was able to get my hands on two of my favorite sleepers at OL with Saldiveri and Morris who I will rely only to stash and develop if all things go well. 

In FA, I feel like I got my depth in order, now I could focus on bringing in my starters. Connor Williams was my #1 target at Center. While Jason Kelce was tempting, where my team is at realistically, bringing in a young upside player in Williams fit who I am as a team better than any other target, with being 3 deep at G, I felt comfortable taking the risk giving Dalton Risner a contract at vet minimum  and betting on him getting picked up soon. The biggest decision I had to make in FA was RT. There were so many choices but the prices were high. Conklin, while slightly older than my ideal target, I think gave me the best balance of production and price point. Conklin was considered a top RT in football until an injury knocked him out 2 years ago and affected him into last year. Now fully healthy, I think I have a discount on an elite level RT for the next 3 seasons.

DL

Additions- Jalen Carter (22), Josh Sweat (26)

DL was probably my deepest position on defense, but had a lack of top end talent. Sitting at 8 and throwing caution to the wind and betting on the talent over the off-field concerns of Jalen Carter added top end potential to my DT rotation and then adding 26 year old pass rusher Josh Sweat topped off a deep group of rushers that allows DL to be my identity on defense.

LB

Additions- Nick Herbig (21)

Besides PFA player Nick Herbig, no additions to this room, but hopefully getting Shaq Leonard back to the elite level after a lost year will be a massive boost to my defense. There are plenty of options in the tank to fill out this group at low cost to balance out Leonard’s high salary.

Secondary

Additions: Darius Rush (23), Kristian Fulton (24), Bryce Hall (25), Sean Murphy Bunting (26), Justin Reid (26), Budda Baker (27)

I prioritized adding to my secondary all offseason with my best player being of advanced age in Darius Slay. I needed to get future pieces at the position as well as running mates for him this season.

Knowing this was a weak draft class at safety, when the opportunity to acquire an elite safety in Budda Baker arose, I took it. Because of clearing some cap space with some of my other trades, I was able to take on Budda’s salary to give my secondary chess piece to build around. Then I chose to trade for Kristian Fulton, a player I was very high on in the draft process but is just starting to come into his own. I am betting on him taking a leap and becoming a player to 3 Up next year.

The draft didn’t fall the way I really wanted to get a top CB in this draft. Darius Rush was my only pick and he didn’t get the kind of draft capital I was hoping for, so he’s a likely depth stash for me.

In free agency, Justin Reid was a top target of mine because I really like his age, situation as the starter on a Super Bowl team and his skill set as a roof player as a running mate for Budda Baker. I really am confident I have a strong pair for the next several seasons. At CB, I wanted to give Fulton some competition at Outside CB and also have an experienced backup slot CB if Maddox gets hurt (which he does occasionally), so I feel like Sean Murphy Bunting was a good fit for a good price to give me depth in two areas and is still young. Bryce Hall is a player that intrigues me that had a good year or so early in his career and then fell out of favor. Sticking a player like that on the end of my depth chart for minimum is a good bet to see if I can get a steal of a contract.

Overall, I feel like I’ve turned what was probably the worst roster in BDL into one that is respectable enough to compete week to week but also has upside to get better into the future.

• Like 2

2024 Mock using Pete’s rankings

1.1 Anchorage (from Hungary)- Caleb Williams QB USC

It’s the right move here if we do in fact hold the number one pick.

1.2 Seoul- Marvin Harrison Jr WR OSU

They get their stud number one and their WR corps continues to grow and help Seoul become competitive.

1.3 Cuba- Drake Maye QB UNC

If Cuba does in fact pick here it’s because Watson doesn’t regain form, not because of the rest of their roster so I have to create a scenario why they would actually be 3rd worst in Pete’s rankings. So here they grab a potential franchise QB in Maye.

1.4 Gotham- Kool Aid McKinstry CB Bama

I don’t think they end up picking here but again rankings… they have a great CB room already but I know it’s a position Whicker really values and what’s cooler than a CB named Sauce? Adding a corner to Sauce named Kool Aid.

1.5 Anchorage (from Singapore)- Brock Bowers TE UGA

I dare go TE this high again after taking Pitts 4 and trading him… well it’s UGA Brock so there is some homer in this pick. And what’s better than picking a UGA player than using a pick from the team owned by the other UGA fan in the league? 

1.6 Lancaster- Dallas Turner Edge Bama

Lancaster moved Bosa and they get his replacement here to pair with Watt. One of the two OT’s in Olu and Alt are well worth this spot but I believe their young group continues to grow and show improvement resulting in Lancaster targeting the defensive side of the ball. 

1.7 Raleigh- Olu Fashanu OT PSU

Raleigh gets great value around where they took a sliding Carter last year. Olu can play RT or LT while the big Eagle plays the other spot giving Bryce Young plenty of time back there.

1.8 Cancun- Emeka Egbuka WR OSU

Probably early for E2 but Cancun needs some WR help and adding him with Olave and Moore is a pretty sweet trio for Mahomes to employ plus receiver is valued more in BDL imo. I could see them continue to look for that number 2 CB but not sure any has emerged yet as being worth this pick here. Alt would be a ND classic match but Tunsil and Broderick Jones answers the tackle position for them.

1.9 Baltimore- Joe Alt OT ND

Dream come true pick here for Baltimore. Sewell can play RT and the top tier prospect Alt slides into LT and they have their book ends for years. 

1.10 Greenland- Cooper DeJean DB Iowa

Greenland goes back to the Iowa defensive unit to add to theirs. DeJean is a jack of all trades type that can be deployed in the secondary to replace 3down Jamal Adams and give them a versatile DB to continue their build of a top tier defense. Verse will get heavy consideration here as the FSU link. 

1.11 Camden- Maason Smith INT LSU

Michael Hall and others will be battling for the first DT off the board but I believe Smith comes back big from injury this year and has a dominant year. So this is more of a projection but Camden could use this presence in the middle of their defense.

1.12 Ivory Coast- Quinn Ewers QB Texas

I’m sure IC would like to build to that pass rush with JT or Jared Verse but the opportunity to grab Rodgers’ successor here at 12 is a great opportunity for this perennial playoff team not to miss a beat.

1.13 New Orleans- Jared Verse Edge FSU

NOLA added Tyree Wilson and have Bosa but having a stable of fresh rushers with top talent can carry a team to the promised land. NOLA is a BPA team and Verse is that here. 

1.14 Rome- Michael Hall Jr INT OSU

Rome needs to add to their interior of their Dline at first I was thinking another receiver for them but they have most of their top guys locked up for a couple years so they grab an immediate difference maker who can penetrate up the middle.

1.15 Berlin- JT Tuimoloau Edge OSU

JT is the type of high upside versatile defender Berlin likes to add to their defense. His best football is ahead of him and would give a piece to Berlin to employ in various fronts. 

1.16 Anchorage- Leonard Taylor lll INT Miami

I add an Oliver replacement here to moonlight with Davis and Vea and give us a nice rotation on the defensive interior.

• Like 4

Just a general PSA to teams who might be looking to add a significant piece for a title run. Raleigh will be listening to trade offers for McCaffrey up until the trade deadline. No urgency to move him but I’m certainly listening to fair offers. 

33 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Just a general PSA to teams who might be looking to add a significant piece for a title run. Raleigh will be listening to trade offers for McCaffrey up until the trade deadline. No urgency to move him but I’m certainly listening to fair offers. 

Come home my son