Offseason Thread

biggie.

7 hours ago, Crimmage said:
  • Hines should have gone much earlier in the draft.. but he's not a zone guy like most of the league wants now so he fell ( That will be Anthony Bradford this year too) 
  • He started on NFI which really set him back.. if not I honestly think he could have had an Onwenu like push out to RT, but he and Stueber being injured messed up their offseason. I believe he only practiced around 3 weeks and 1-2 preseason games.. but was able to impress enough to make the initial 53 and stay on the roster most of the year. 

He's legit.. I believe in him enough that I would honestly trade Onwenu during this draft if someone gave me a good enough pick. It would probably need to be top 60 to be worth doing, which is unlikely.. but I think Hines is capable of being a starting RG for this team. 

What’s this based on? We have evidence that Onwenu is a top 5 guard in the league. We have no evidence of Hines even playing a full game 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What’s this based on? We have evidence that Onwenu is a top 5 guard in the league. We have no evidence of Hines even playing a full game 

both late round power blocking guards from big schools with impressive college film combined with the position translating at a higher rate with the pats historically

no nfl experience really though to your point about hines. onwenu might be a good rt to keep around

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

onwenu might be a good rt to keep around

I would pay for RT but not OG. This is the reason your have to plan when you draft. So your not stuck looking to pay top dollar to a OG.

EX Strange was a desperate pick, not a player on the roster to fill the position.

What really gets me is how they approached the OG position with Farris and Mason. They were not prepared for what eventually happened .

Why do the Pats refused to play him at RT????? They must have determined he can't play well enough to be a starter.  So that's not a viable alternative.  So its a mute point, right or wrong, moving him to RT.

26 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I would pay for RT but not OG. This is the reason your have to plan when you draft. So your not stuck looking to pay top dollar to a OG.

EX Strange was a desperate pick, not a player on the roster to fill the position.

What really gets me is how they approached the OG position with Farris and Mason. They were not prepared for what eventually happened .

Why do the Pats refused to play him at RT????? They must have determined he can't play well enough to be a starter.  So that's not a viable alternative.  So its a mute point, right or wrong, moving him to RT.

maybe they’re not convinced RG options are good enough. That said, we rotated a lot last season. Onwenu was in a lot, but did anybody at all come in to play RG? We were using the OL like a hockey team in certain games. In and out. We saw Onwenu at LT once I believe, so we must have had a look at someone else at RG. 

Hines is listed as 2nd at RG on depth chart. Also McDermott and Ferentz and Russey as options. But I don’t think they were used

9 hours ago, Crimmage said:

the Right side shouldn't get any top 60 picks imo. Athletes get drafted high in the draft... and their line tends to go from most athletic to least athletic ( left to right).

I would agree 99% but not now. They need a complete reset because of the the mess they are in concerning the OL.  IMO they need to draft now for young quality players such as let say (get both) Harrison and Wright. Than have a (your) plan for the future.  The guys they signed have more chance of failure than success. WE can only hope they can play but so far our track record says other wise.

It amazes me we have to depend on Trent Brown , me included.  Every week, we sweat it out, will he " show up" !!!

This is my whole argument just fix the damn OL so we have a dependable group and have guys on the roster that will fill spots @Crimmage (plan) in the future.  I look at Custo, why is he here. He takes up a roster space and can't play. The Pats made that decision, but still keep him... NUTS!

The OL line plan should be like the running backs have players in waiting draft to move out vet like Harris. That's what Hines should do with Onwenu.

PS They could do a better job with their RB plan. Taylor should of been replaced years ago!!!

I just remembered (kind da, I'm old!) something from the past. Chuck Fairbanks was great at preparing for the future. They had Mike Haynes , he drafts Ray Clayborn, they had a great (old) center and he drafts Pete Brock. Both positions covered for the future. That's they way to do it!

PS Little did he know the idiots, Sullivan would trade the best CB in the history of man kind !!!!!