2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

I really don't look at what the majority of the league does or what didn't work for us in the past when making a decision. Most of the coaches are offensive, but I don't want to risk passing up on the next BB, Tomlin, or Cowher trying to be like everyone. I'm never going to pass up drafting a QB because it didn't work for us in the past. I'm always going to consider all options unless the talent isn't there. 

Edited by rickyt31

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I really don't look at what the majority of the league does or what didn't work for us in the past when making a decision. Most of the coaches are offensive, but I don't want to risk passing up on the next BB, Tomlin, or Cowher trying to be like everyone. I'm never going to pass up drafting a QB because it didn't work for us in the past. I'm always going to consider all options unless the talent isn't there. 

For me it's the mindset of a defensive first head coach. They aren't aggressive enough offensively for me. If Flores, for example, says I want an aggressive offense that attacks the defense then I'm like okay sounds good and if he shows it on the field I'm all for it. But when you get a guy who's like we're gonna lean on the run game, trust our defense and play not to lose. We aren't going for it on 4th and 3, we aren't passing on 1st down, etc...I just can't keep watching that every Sunday lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

For me it's the mindset of a defensive first head coach. They aren't aggressive enough offensively for me. If Flores, for example, says I want an aggressive offense that attacks the defense then I'm like okay sounds good and if he shows it on the field I'm all for it. But when you get a guy who's like we're gonna lean on the run game, trust our defense and play not to lose. We aren't going for it on 4th and 3, we aren't passing on 1st down, etc...I just can't keep watching that every Sunday lol. 

lol I understand that. I was just explaining why I'm always looking into all coaches. I mentioned not too long ago how important it is for Saleh to really make the offense his identity instead of adapting to every coordinator we bring in. I think Flores has a good understanding of offense because of what he was able to do with less. His OC was Frank Smith. He didn't have coordinators the league was going crazy for. That whole team was his. 

The biggest thing I look for when it comes to defensive minded coaches is them knowing what offense they want to run and being able to identify great OC options. Although Shan is a offensive minded coach, he knows how to pick a coordinator to run the 49ers defense. He lost Saleh and got better. BB's system doesn't change with offensive coordinators and he's in the playoff hunt no matter how bad the QB play is. It doesn't matter what side of the ball you come from, you have to be sharp on the other side. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

lol I understand that. I was just explaining why I'm always looking into all coaches. I mentioned not too long ago how important it is for Saleh to really make the offense his identity instead of adapting to every coordinator we bring in. I think Flores has a good understanding of offense because of what he was able to do with less. His OC was Frank Smith. He didn't have coordinators the league was going crazy for. That whole team was his. 

The biggest thing I look for when it comes to defensive minded coaches is them knowing what offense they want to run and being able to identify great OC options. Although Shan is a offensive minded coach, he knows how to pick a coordinator to run the 49ers defense. He lost Saleh and got better. BB's system doesn't change with offensive coordinators and he's in the playoff hunt no matter how bad the QB play is. It doesn't matter what side of the ball you come from, you have to be sharp on the other side. 

Kyle Shanahan was the guy I wanted when we hired Bowles. Guys thought he was too young but that dude knows the game from both sides so well. 

• Like 2

For me i totally get the line of thinking of not giving up draft picks to get Jimmy G. I understand that line of thinking. The part that I don’t get is even the thought process that Jimmy and Rodgers are close in talent.

We just watched Brock Purdy for 2 months look good in that system. No offense to Purdy… but it wasn’t all bc he’s just a lights out rookie QB. It’s a coaching and talent thing. 90% of the NFL QBs can look get in SF this last season IMO. Jimmy G looked good in that system with those players. We don’t run that exact system and for sure don’t have those coaches, playmakers and OL. So if we think we’re getting the SF Jimmy… that’s way off. Where with Rodgers he’s actually be going to a more talented team if traded here playmaker wise. So it’s the exact opposite. We also know what Rodgers can do 100% with Hackett. We have no clue how Jimmy and Hackett would work out.

We quite frankly aren’t a franchise in position to take risks (my thought process is Rodgers isn’t a risk in this system and Jimmy is). This is our FO probably last season for their jobs. Some of you don’t like Saleh. But I think most of us like JD. Do we really want JDs job on the line with Jimmy G at QB. Who’s likely to get injured (based on his history) without Shanahan, without Kittle, without Deebo without Aiyuk, without McCaffrey. I don’t like that bet at all. 

Which if you want something in between. That’s Carr. Can probably be traded for for a mid rounder. Is getting paid about what Jimmy will fetch in FA. Close to the same ages. But is more proven outside of a OCs system that makes every QB look good.

I still rank the options as this….

1. Trade for Rodgers as long as the price isn’t 2 1st.

2. Trade a mid rounder for Carr

3. Sign Jimmy G in FA

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

For me i totally get the line of thinking of not giving up draft picks to get Jimmy G. I understand that line of thinking. The part that I don’t get is even the thought process that Jimmy and Rodgers are close in talent.

We just watched Brock Purdy for 2 months look good in that system. No offense to Purdy… but it wasn’t all bc he’s just a lights out rookie QB. It’s a coaching and talent thing. 90% of the NFL QBs can look get in SF this last season IMO. Jimmy G looked good in that system with those players. We don’t run that exact system and for sure don’t have those coaches, playmakers and OL. So if we think we’re getting the SF Jimmy… that’s way off. Where with Rodgers he’s actually be going to a more talented team if traded here playmaker wise. So it’s the exact opposite. We also know what Rodgers can do 100% with Hackett. We have no clue how Jimmy and Hackett would work out.

We quite frankly aren’t a franchise in position to take risks (my thought process is Rodgers isn’t a risk in this system and Jimmy is). This is our FO probably last season for their jobs. Some of you don’t like Saleh. But I think most of us like JD. Do we really want JDs job on the line with Jimmy G at QB. Who’s likely to get injured (based on his history) without Shanahan, without Kittle, without Deebo without Aiyuk, without McCaffrey. I don’t like that bet at all. 

I will just start by saying I want Rodgers here as you know. 

However to play devils advocate; 

If Jimmy plays four years here and is $20-25m per year he’s young enough to easily see that contract out. The downside to Rodgers is the dead cap we will have in the two years FOLLOWING his retirement as he won’t be on the roster yet he will account for a big amount of money. Obvisouly the loss of draft picks is also a worry. 

Jimmy will cost us zero draft picks and would be an upgrade to what we had last year. He’s not as talented as Rodgers but wouldn’t be a bad option. His injury history is what worries me the most in fairness not his ability. 

I would still take the swing for Rodgers but if GB want a small fortune in draft picks we could do a lot worse than bringing in Jimmy. 

All this is moot if Zach would have been the sure fire answer we all hoped. Let’s just hope we can find competent qb play this year at the worst. 

34 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

I will just start by saying I want Rodgers here as you know. 

However to play devils advocate; 

If Jimmy plays four years here and is $20-25m per year he’s young enough to easily see that contract out. The downside to Rodgers is the dead cap we will have in the two years FOLLOWING his retirement as he won’t be on the roster yet he will account for a big amount of money. Obvisouly the loss of draft picks is also a worry. 

Jimmy will cost us zero draft picks and would be an upgrade to what we had last year. He’s not as talented as Rodgers but wouldn’t be a bad option. His injury history is what worries me the most in fairness not his ability. 

I would still take the swing for Rodgers but if GB want a small fortune in draft picks we could do a lot worse than bringing in Jimmy. 

All this is moot if Zach would have been the sure fire answer we all hoped. Let’s just hope we can find competent qb play this year at the worst. 

For me it’s what you’re getting though.

Rodgers is an elite QB that will make all our young players around him better. And for me at least has us in SB contention. Not just playoff contention.

With Jimmy G I think a huge part of his success is the system and guys around him. I don’t think he on his own is this good QB. I see him more along average to above average. So for a lower cap hit for next year and just a slightly higher one in 2024 you can get an elite QB instead of an average one. Yes I’m well aware that we would have dead cap after that (who knows… Rodgers could still play after 2 years as well). And as I pointed out. We know what Rodgers can do with our OC. No question marks there. We have no clue how Jimmy would do. So I’m not too fond of giving a guy a big contract that I think is more a product of a system with star players all around him. I’d much rather give then money and picks to the sure thing QB.

Brady getting done means 1 less QB out there. Zach Wilson not even putting up top 30 QB numbers just crushes this team so bad. Aaron Rodgers price just went up. I was hoping Brady go to the Raiders and just leave the Jets for Rodgers. We miss Rodgers then Carr is my next guy I want. 

Edited by jetfuel34