2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The Knicks aren’t winning a championship. They’re vastly improved and way more consistent… but still not on the level of the top teams to win a series.

We add AR. We are in that tier. And if there’s ever a time to do this… it’s a year after we in essence just had 4 1st rounders. Go for it when you have a lot of talent on rookie contracts.

I’ll continue to ask those who don’t like this decision. What would you do different instead? Go after Lamar? That’s not happening. JD isn’t giving a fully guaranteed deal and we’d have to give up more draft capital and for a guy that can’t play a whole season. Then who? Wentz, Brissett, still believe in Zach, etc? No thank you.

The Jets aren’t winning a championship either. 

Knicks are a piece away and that piece isn’t 38 year old LeBron James. 

43 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

You’re totally right. The Jets should forget about Rodgers and just go sign Jacoby Brissett. That’s what a serious team would do. 

Since Day 1, Rodgers was my 4th choice.  I never really wanted him here, in part, because of the circus he brings with him - like all this crap.  I am also not sold on he alone being enough to win a SB.  Playoffs - absolutely but Carr and Jimmy G would have also helped get us to the playoffs.  I do not feel like cheering about what I believe is not a smart move.  If we win the SB in a year or two, I will gladly say I was wrong.  The question is:  will everyone cheering this move admit they were wrong when we do not win the SB and our cap goes in the ****ter requiring another 5 years of misery before we begin to see the light.  I doubt it.

But, what is done is done.  I will cheer and pull for Rodgers.  But forgive me for not running the streets.  And, yeah, we have little options at this point because the FO and/or Woody stupidly put all their eggs in a 40 year old basket.  Smart teams have more than one plan.

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

Since Day 1, Rodgers was my 4th choice.  I never really wanted him here, in part, because of the circus he brings with him - like all this crap.  I am also not sold on he alone being enough to win a SB.  Playoffs - absolutely but Carr and Jimmy G would have also helped get us to the playoffs.  I do not feel like cheering about what I believe is not a smart move.  If we win the SB in a year or two, I will gladly say I was wrong.  The question is:  will everyone cheering this move admit they were wrong when we do not win the SB and our cap goes in the ****ter requiring another 5 years of misery before we begin to see the light.  I doubt it.

But, what is done is done.  I will cheer and pull for Rodgers.  But forgive me for not running the streets.  And, yeah, we have little options at this point because the FO and/or Woody stupidly put all their eggs in a 40 year old basket.  Smart teams have more than one plan.

If we have him for two years and he takes us to the playoffs in those years it a success. You may not like that and thinks it’s not enough but ultimately we've been the worst team in the league for years with the longest playoff drought. 

This move will cost draft picks but not enough to hamper the future. If Jd can hit on his picks and add nice additions in FA like DJ Reed over the next two years we will still have a terrific roster with ascending players  with most crucially a winning mentality. 

We’ve drafted and signed talented players over the last ten years but they’ve walked into a losing franchise with a loser personality and loser mentality.

With Aaron ******* Rodgers as our qb that changes instantly. Will that lead to a SB?! I hope so but if it doesn’t I still think it can help us build our roster into a winning franchise with a winning culture built to succeed for years to come.

Jimmy G, Geno Smith, Sam Darnold, Jacoby Brissett, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr whoever else Iv forgotten does not change the culture. A-Rod does. 

Edited by KimuraGod

Okay, I was able to hear some good opinions on the situation. JD does have some leverage because if he decides back out because the Packers are demanding too much, that would crush the Packers because they would be stuck with him and his $60M cap hit coming up. Also, him not having an opinion on roster decisions made in Green Bay was a problem, so I guess we're showing we would listen before he agrees to come here. 

I hope this works out but I'm going to step back from this subject after today. I'm tired of talking and hearing about Rodgers now. lol 

28 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Jimmy G, Geno Smith, Sam Darnold, Jacoby Brissett, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr whoever else Iv forgotten does not change the culture. A-Rod does. 

Winning changes the culture regardless of who is on the team.  If Carr is QB and we get to the playoffs FA's will want to come here.

If Rodgers plays two years (which many of us believe is the case) he will leave this team in a poor cap situation after 2024.  What FA's will we be able to get?  Will we be able to resign even our own FA's? 

• Like 1

Good posts from @xrade

I actually want to follow up the “winning changes the culture” part but that’s gonna lead to a discussion we all had before lol.

Either way we’re going all in for a Super Bowl on a guy who hasn’t been there since 2010. But this was always the way they were going. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The Jets aren’t winning a championship either. 

Knicks are a piece away and that piece isn’t 38 year old LeBron James. 

As long as you know that's your opinion and it's in the minority.

A lot of us think that it does make us a SB team. Look at Vegas' odds. We have the 7th best odds to win the SB and he's just rumored to be on our team and we haven't finished our FA and draft period. You can bet we go into the top 5 once he's official and we finish our offseason.

So not sure how a team with an elite QB and elite D and playmakers isn't a team in the mix for a SB

29 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I just don’t understand why we aren’t allowed to have concerns or discussions about the downside of this move. 

We are most certainly allowed, but expect push back.  It is all good as long as we do not devolve into personal attacks.  There are a couple of us that preferred another QB and many who prefer Rodgers.  A healthy debate between us is a good thing no matter how right I am and how wrong they are.😉

1 minute ago, xrade said:

We are most certainly allowed, but expect push back.  It is all good as long as we do not devolve into personal attacks.  There are a couple of us that preferred another QB and many who prefer Rodgers.  A healthy debate between us is a good thing no matter how right I am and how wrong they are.😉

Not necessarily here. The discussion around the team, particularly on social media platforms or YouTube comment sections, is awful. This move has risks, a lot of them. Obviously there’s upside as well the ultimate hope being a Super Bowl but that’s a far reach from where we were though football can be extremely random at times. Some games are won or lost on a single play. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

As long as you know that's your opinion and it's in the minority.

A lot of us think that it does make us a SB team. Look at Vegas' odds. We have the 7th best odds to win the SB and he's just rumored to be on our team and we haven't finished our FA and draft period. You can bet we go into the top 5 once he's official and we finish our offseason.

So not sure how a team with an elite QB and elite D and playmakers isn't a team in the mix for a SB

But everything you’re saying is also an opinion. 

Rodgers isn’t Elite, we have 1 “playmaker” and the defense beat up on bad Quarterbacks last year. 

This kind of proves my point that unless you say something positive about this move…you know what Nevermind. Not doing this again lol. There’s no discussion.

Rodgers is amazing, everything is amazing, Jets are going 17-0 and then winning the Super Bowl. Just hand us the trophy now why even play games.