2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

54 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

If Wilson or White performed the way Carr did even last year, we wouldn't be looking for a QB right now. Carr would be statistically be the greatest QB in our Franchise History. He's not a 1-2 year gap player. His drop off came under a new system.  Before that he was throwing 4k+ yards with at least 67%CMP and the only passing target he had that would start for us would be Waller. For the past few years, he was asked to outscore teams like the Chargers and Chiefs with one of the worst defenses in the league. I tried to look for a reason why I wouldn't want Carr and couldn't find one. 

As for LJ, I understand injury fears.  The truth is, if Lamar couldn't run, they wouldn't be a playoff team. it has nothing to do with his passing, it's the surrounding he has had for years. Bateman and Dobbins are not healthy enough to be considered factors. It's just Mark Andrews. I love the Ravens as a franchise, but they did a terrible job of building that offense. The defense wasn't good until they traded for Smith. The only teams Lamar lost to were playoff teams. 3/4 teams are still in the playoffs now. With us, I don't think he'll have to run nearly as much if we pair with the right OC. Defenses aren't worried about getting beat by Robinson, Duvernay, and K.Drake. LJ kept them alive. 

I'm not saying no to neither of these two. There are other QBs I'm open to if we miss out, but they will remain on the top of my list. This feels like a potential Drew Brees situation before joining New Orleans.  Olson, Monken, Joe Brady, and Marcus Brady are my favorite OCs. 

I know you were on the Lamar train with me a few years back in the draft so it would be quite something if we could get him……

How different is Anthony Richardson at this stage in their careers? Watching his film he is exactly the qb I want us having moving forward. I could get behind signing Carr if we drafted Richardson and let him sit and develop without rushing him. 

That would then mean trading Zach which quite possibly is the worst time we could. I can’t imagine too many teams interested if he was on the trade block. 

2 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Yes and our coaching staff is still unproven. What happens when we trade 3 1sts and end up in the top 5 because of coaching or a Jackson injury?

Our next QB is NOT our answer. Our next QB is here for leadership and stability while we develop someone. 

I think it would be 2x 1sts. So you’re talking pick #13 and then next years first. So if we are in the playoffs (with a dreadful qb situation and injuries throughout our team we STILL should have made the playoffs don’t forget) then it’s not really that problematic. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

And not a single one of those guys while being developed looked as bad as Wilson.

Thats the difference. 

Have you watch Josh Allen his first two seasons? Trevor Lawrence was awful last year but he plays in Jacksonville so no one noticed. 

The key difference is they’re coached/were coached by quality coordinators who played to their strengths and little by little improved on their weaknesses.

6 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

I know you were on the Lamar train with me a few years back in the draft so it would be quite something if we could get him……

How different is Anthony Richardson at this stage in their careers? Watching his film he is exactly the qb I want us having moving forward. I could get behind signing Carr if we drafted Richardson and let him sit and develop without rushing him. 

That would then mean trading Zach which quite possibly is the worst time we could. I can’t imagine too many teams interested if he was on the trade block. 

lol Yeah, I remember that. 

Anthony and LJ aren't too far off, but LJ was a better college QB than AR is imo. He would be perfect for development in a vertical WC offense like Greg Olson's. I love how he keeps his eyes down field at all times. He's a better deep passer than Hooker. If we didn't come away with Carr or Jackson, AR would move up my list of options. 

I'm not sure if we would trade Wilson unless we would get an offer we couldn't pass up. I think we'll give him a chance to compete for the #2 spot. Then maybe trade him to a team like New Orleans who is too far to pick a QB and don't have the cap to get a starter during camp. 

16 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Have you watch Josh Allen his first two seasons? Trevor Lawrence was awful last year but he plays in Jacksonville so no one noticed. 

The key difference is they’re coached/were coached by quality coordinators who played to their strengths and little by little improved on their weaknesses.

Those 2 play was never as bad as Wilson's. Show me  a game where any guy who panned out as a franchise QB had any game that was 9/22 77yds and actually played the whole game.

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Those 2 play was never as bad as Wilson's. Show me  a game where any guy who panned out as a franchise QB had any game that was 9/22 77yds and actually played the whole game.

Trevor Lawrence 14/33 118 yards LAST YEAR

Josh Allen 11/26 120 yards 3 interceptions THIS SEASON

Bad games happen, Zach’s ridiculous inconsistent and when he’s bad he’s awful. No one is arguing otherwise. Still doesn’t mean you go get Derek Carr.

50 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

This will be a very interesting offseason. I think vets like Davis, Lawson, and CJ will be moved via trade or cut. 

Yeah, no choice really. 

I wanna see how Douglas does without a ton of draft capital and limited cap space. This is a make or break offseason for him IMO.

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

lol Yeah, I remember that. 

Anthony and LJ aren't too far off, but LJ was a better college QB than AR is imo. He would be perfect for development in a vertical WC offense like Greg Olson's. I love how he keeps his eyes down field at all times. He's a better deep passer than Hooker. If we didn't come away with Carr or Jackson, AR would move up my list of options. 

I'm not sure if we would trade Wilson unless we would get an offer we couldn't pass up. I think we'll give him a chance to compete for the #2 spot. Then maybe trade him to a team like New Orleans who is too far to pick a QB and don't have the cap to get a starter during camp. 

I think for once we could let the board fall and if AR is there then get him. Even if we sign a vet like Carr or Jimmy having a potential franchise qb to sit and learn for a year or two would be a good thing. 

The only thing that worries me with that is you’d HOPE and PRAY the current regime is still in power as that would only lead to disarray. Having continuity is important.

That’s why I wouldn’t have been upset if we’d of moved on from Saleh this offseason before settling in with our plan for qb moving forward. As it is I would assume the next few moves from JD and the coaching from Saleh this year will be a make/break moment for sure. 

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

This will be a very interesting offseason. I think vets like Davis, Lawson, and CJ will be moved via trade or cut. 

Yeah we are defo making moves. Luckily for us the guys making bank are guys we can move on from easily as they arent ‘must keep’ players.  

We also have young homegrown cheap players to take over their spots for the most part. Davis (Mims) Lawson (JJ) Whitehead (Adams) and then I think a restructure from CJ. I would defo cut Tomlinson too. His money could get a better guard AND a starting centre. 

23 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You are hating. Lamar, Rodgers, Brady all better than Carr. What if Prescott becomes available, Tannehill might be cut, Mayfield is an option as well. 

So again its all about who is available. Yall acting like Carr is Tom Brady. 

Brady is not coming here.

Prescott is not going anywhere.

Carr is a better AND younger quarterback than Tannehill and I really don't think that's up for debate.

Did you really say mayfield? Seriously? 0% chance saleh and douglas put their career on the line for him.

I wouldn't be opposed to rodgers but he's also 40, has a huge cap hit, and would most certainly take a lot more to get than carr. I think it's a bit far fetched but like I said I'm not opposed to it.

That eaves us with Lamar and Carr. I've said it before I'm completely down with Lamar as well and he's my #1 choice but at the same time you would have to give up quite a bit to get him.

The Derek Carr situation:

Let's say you've been hooking up with 2s and 3s for the past 15-20 years of your life and you're at the bar and a 7 throws herself at you. You have never gotten with a girl this hot in your entire life. Are you really holding out in hopes that you land a 10 that night despite never bagging one in your life or are you going home with the sure thing 7?