2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We were 7-4 with a young team that had garbage QB play. Injuries and even worse QB play derailed us.

We have a QB.... we're contenders. 

We weren't a good 7-4 team. We beat up on sub par teams, we can't beat the elite ones.

We're not contenders with a 40 year old Rodgers, we're still not getting past Burrow or Mahomes, let alone beating out the Bills and Dolphins for the division.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Except we'd still have our picks this year. He'd be a post June 1st trade. Which is after the draft. So whatever picks that are given up for Rodgers for a team are the 2024 draft and beyond. So in theory we could go draft an OT in Round 1 and draft a C in Round 2 or 3 and have a good OL this season. And with cuts would actually still have cap room to make other moves if we defer Rodgers bonuses over 4 years like his contract allows.

That sure looks like a Mangold  & Brick kind of draft  AND I LOVE IT.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Are you guys really considering two first round picks for Rodgers at this point in time?

That seems insane to me.

Tell me you are against that.  

No I'm not pro giving up that much. I just don't think that's actually what GB gets. 

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Are you guys really considering two first round picks for Rodgers at this point in time?

That seems insane to me.

I am against it. All it does is mortgage the future for a potential wild card berth.

But a lot of fans just want the excitement and hope that comes with it, which is understandable considering the drought.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

We weren't a good 7-4 team. We beat up on sub par teams, we can't beat the elite ones.

We're not contenders with a 40 year old Rodgers, we're still not getting past Burrow or Mahomes, let alone beating out the Bills and Dolphins for the division.

You're missing the point. We won 7 games this year in our 1st 11 with garbage QB play. Imagine having a QB that's great to good. That easily has us IMO as a 11 plus win team. I think more around the 13 win type. And it's proven how good a great defensive team does in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

I am against it. All it does is mortgage the future for a potential wild card berth.

But a lot of fans just want the excitement and hope that comes with it, which is understandable considering the drought.

So we beat the Bills with Wilson and almost beat BUF with White and without our OL and RB and you automatically have us as a WC team even with a star QB? Makes no sense.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

You're missing the point. We won 7 games this year in our 1st 11 with garbage QB play. Imagine having a QB that's great to good. That easily has us IMO as a 11 plus win team. I think more around the 13 win type. And it's proven how good a great defensive team does in the playoffs. 

No I think you are missing the point. We won 7 games but I wouldn't call the QB play "garbage" in all of them.

We also got lucky in half of those games too - we had no business beating Cleveland (thanks Chubb for scoring instead of running the clock out), we barely got out of Pittsburgh with a win and it took ZW's best career game for that, and we lucked into facing Skylar Thompson in a 4 week span. Then we beat up on two "shell of their former self" teams in GB and DEN. Then it started going downhill when we couldn't lean on our run game.

There's no evidence to suggest that we are a QB away from the playoffs or Super Bowl. We had one good win against the Bills and that's it. I also think the Bills are overrated and we match up perfectly with them.

I don't see 4 games that we would've won with better QB play - maybe NE and DET at home, that's it. 

Definitely not a 13 win team with Rodgers if the Packers aren't even above .500 with him. 

Right now it's the offensive teams/coaches/home grown QB's kicking *** in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So we beat the Bills with Wilson and almost beat BUF with White and without our OL and RB and you automatically have us as a WC team even with a star QB? Makes no sense.

ONE solid win doesn't validate us, and almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

So because we were competitive with Buffalo this year (who had their own insane rash of injuries when we beat them) we are Superbowl contenders with a top 12 QB? Your talking about one quality win against a depleted Bills defense. 

Rodgers wasn’t exactly his MVP caliber self this year either. 

21 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

(Speaking to your forum - I know you are against it).

Don't believe me.   I know I appear biased.  

Go read the GB forum regular season game day threads.  Or their current forum.  Or listen to their podcasts.  Or read GB twitter and hear it straight from their mouths.  

They are looking at you guys like a Denver sucker.  Don't do it.  They cannot wait to off load Rodgers on any patsy and they are mainly hoping it is Jets.  

This is a rug pull.  A pump and dump.  You may as well go buy an NFT.  

Go get gamepass and watch just 2022 GB offense and see for yourself.   On condensed that is about 15-20 minutes.

He will still show flashes, but he cannot lead you to a title for a full season.  And he might have one more season in him. 

He is just not same guy anymore.   

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

(Speaking to your forum - I know you are against it).

Don't believe me.   I know I appear biased.  

Go read the GB forum regular season game day threads.  Or their current forum.  Or listen to their podcasts.  Or read GB twitter and hear it straight from their mouths.  

They are looking at you guys like a Denver sucker.  Don't do it.  They cannot wait to off load Rodgers on any patsy and they are mainly hoping it is Jets.  

This is a rug pull.  A pump and dump.  You may as well go buy an NFT.  

Go get gamepass and watch just 2022 GB offense and see for yourself.   On condensed that is about 15-20 minutes.

He will still show flashes, but he cannot lead you to a title for a full season.  And he might have one more season in him. 

He is just not same guy anymore.   

I'm in agreement with this. It's Brett Favre 2.0, and this is why we're dubbed the same old Jets.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That seems insane to me.

i AM TO CHEAP NO DEAL UNLESS HE GIVES US DANICA PATRICK THAN IT IS A  FAIR TRADE

• Like 1

Add to that - he isn't going to work with your WRs in offseason.   He will do mostly bare minimum other than study on his own.  

This isn't Brady taking everyone in Tampa to park during Covid lockdowns because he is obsessed with winning.  

Rodgers is more like 2022 Brady going through a divorce. 

Rodgers always behaves like he is going through a divorce and whatever is wrong around his life is always someone else's fault.

Few people get along with him because he is different than most people.  He is always smartest guy in room in his mind. He is smart, but that arrogance rubs on people.  

In football environments it doesn't always mesh well.  He would be much better suited teaching a course in a snooty college. 

Plus he is a libertarian right leaning guy who doesn't like media and goes against the prevailing opinions and views of that lot quite a bit.  

He starts losing a bit and local media will turn on him big time.  Everything he does and says will be worst thing ever and magnified.  He won't have the goodwill bought by winning in past as he will be new to there.  Just like Russell Wilson in Denver.   Except NY media is a lot meaner than Denver media.     

You guys do you though.   To me making that trade would be a really dumb thing to do.  I would be dead set against it were I a Jets fan.

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Add to that - he isn't going to work with your WRs in offseason.   He will do mostly bare minimum other than study on his own.  

This isn't Brady taking everyone in Tampa to park during Covid lockdowns because he is obsessed with winning.  

Rodgers is more like 2022 Brady going through a divorce. 

Rodgers always behaves like he is going through a divorce and whatever is wrong around his life is always someone else's fault.

Few people get along with him because he is different than most people.  He is always smartest guy in room in his mind. He is smart, but that arrogance rubs on people.  

In football environments it doesn't always mesh well.  He would be much better suited teaching a course in a snooty college. 

Plus he is a libertarian right leaning guy who doesn't like media and goes against the prevailing opinions and views of that lot quite a bit.  

He starts losing a bit and local media will turn on him big time.  Everything he does and says will be worst thing ever and magnified.  He won't have the goodwill bought by winning in past as he will be new to there.  Just like Russell Wilson in Denver.   Except NY media is a lot meaner than Denver media.     

You guys do you though.   To me making that trade would be a really dumb thing to do.  I would be dead set against it were I a Jets fan.

I am dead set against it. Even if he were a perfect teammate, the idea of a one year rental when we're a lot more than just a QB away from a Super Bowl turns me off. The idea of mortgaging our future and bleeding cap space and draft picks turns me off.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

star QB?

Rodgers?  What if this year was not an aberration?  What if this is the new and unimproved Rodgers.  Not all QB's can play into 40's.  In fact, off the top of my head, I know of just 1 in the modern era.  You just assume we get Rodgers and he plays like it is 2020.  You assume our WR's will become Davante Adams.  You assume our OL will be fixed.  You assume he will play well with our young WR's and not be an azzhat.  Lots of assumptions.

Then when we don't win the SB and Rodgers retires, who do you want us to sign next year?  Might as well start that conversation now because it is inevitable.