2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

Agreed.  It would be one thing if the probability of a SB was very high, but it most likely, isn't.  This is just Favre all over again, then cap issues, then rebuild, etc.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  This is why many of us were glad JD came on board and is doing what he is doing.  Building through the draft and supplementing with FA's.  Now all of a sudden we look like a legit team and we want to go back to the Tannebaum years.  We all know we need a real QB, but to waste picks on a 40 year old QB with a high cap hit that will probably play the retirement card AGAIN, next year, just does not seem like a JD move.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

What is the cap hit for Rodgers?  Can he legitimately be acquired before June 1?

He has yet to say that he will play next season.   Packers basically can't move him until he confirms to play.

If he will play, Packers will pick up extra 9m dead money if they move him by June 1 but Packers are already over the cap by 25m. Moving him will require a bunch of adjustments on salary cap.

As of today, our hands are tie we can't do anything about our QB situation. till another team make an offer, that could weeks or even months. The longer this goes on the worsts. it is going to be for the Jets. YOU TALK ABOUT BEING PUT OVER A BARREL THATS US.

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Idk, I’m just never sold on flash in the pan success. Going all in for a single year or two of contention and then 10+ years of failure isn’t exciting to me at all. 

The window for winning in this league can be really tight.  It's only a matter of time until GW AVT and Sauce have to be paid.  Q already wants and deserves to be paid.  The hope is that we can take advantage of our young elite players salaries now with Rodgers at the helm while we groom his replacement behind him which would bring us much needed cap relief 3 years from now when Rodgers has retired and we have our QB of the future.  Our inability to develop Sanchez, Geno, Hackenburg, Darnold and Wilson put us in this situation.  So I really dont want to hear about mortgaging our future when every time we use a draft pick on a QB we are throwing the draft pick away.

51 minutes ago, xrade said:

Agreed.  It would be one thing if the probability of a SB was very high, but it most likely, isn't.  This is just Favre all over again, then cap issues, then rebuild, etc.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  This is why many of us were glad JD came on board and is doing what he is doing.  Building through the draft and supplementing with FA's.  Now all of a sudden we look like a legit team and we want to go back to the Tannebaum years.  We all know we need a real QB, but to waste picks on a 40 year old QB with a high cap hit that will probably play the retirement card AGAIN, next year, just does not seem like a JD move.

I hear what you are saying but something you might want to consider is that philosophies change.  Sometimes out of necessity and it's not always a good thing.  JD and Saleh's jobs hang in the balance of the coming season.  Woody is not a great owner and because of that he makes rash decisions.  If they dont make the playoffs this year both are likely out of a job.  So yeah they are going to trade picks and bring in a QB because if they dont they wont be around to use the picks anyway.  

11 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We’ll be doing that anyway even with Rodgers. He’s got a year left maybe two. I’d rather take Jimmy G and keep my picks. 

Ugh gross.  If not Rodgers at least give me Carr.  Jimmy can't stay healthy and doesn't make us contenders.  We have a boat load of deals coming up in the near future starting with Q this year.  The time is now to go all in while we still have flexibility.  Once we have to start paying Wilson, AVT, Moore, Sauce etc. we lose the ability to make a big move.  Jimmy is getting close to 30M probably which would be an all time Jets move to pay him that for 8 games and barely get into the playoffs.

Hate Jimmy G and would rather just pay Mike White pennies on the dollar at that point.  Hard no to Jimmy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Why isn't it?  A-Rod should be a top 10 QB and we have plenty around him to make a run.  Are we that much worse than CIN, KC with Rodgers?  We were playing really well with Farve before he got hurt.  A-Rod is motivated you can hear it in his voice.  I really think he wants one more ring before he hangs in up.   

We aren't coughing up 3 1sts here we can still build the team and open a 2 year window.  Have you cake and eat it too.  What would you prefer to do be mediocre and draft another QB?  Very few teams can have long term KC type success unless you get a generational QB and HC.  Other teams open short windows when the time is right and go all in for a ring LAR did it, BUF before they had to pay Allen, MIA is trying to do it now while Tua is cheap, SF is trying now too with going all in for a cheap QB by trading up, Philly has a ton of top talent to pay and this could be their best shot at a ring.

Right now we have a good to great D and good weapons.  With top 10 QB play this team can beat anyone so are we not going to try because it might cost us a late 1st and another top 60 pick?  Crazy to not try when we haven't sniffed the playoffs in over a decade.

I can't sit here and listen to another year of build through the draft, we just did that and because of that are where we are with a massive bust of the #2 overall pick.  We just tried it your way and where did that land us?

Edited by Rockice_8

6 minutes ago, NYJETS52 said:

The window for winning in this league can be really tight.  It's only a matter of time until GW AVT and Sauce have to be paid.  Q already wants and deserves to be paid.  The hope is that we can take advantage of our young elite players salaries now with Rodgers at the helm while we groom his replacement behind him which would bring us much needed cap relief 3 years from now when Rodgers has retired and we have our QB of the future.  Our inability to develop Sanchez, Geno, Hackenburg, Darnold and Wilson put us in this situation.  So I really dont want to hear about mortgaging our future when every time we use a draft pick on a QB we are throwing the draft pick away.

i MUST BE SLIPPING, I forgot about Hackenburg our pick in the second round, that makes five times in the last 12years we drafted a QB. and five we FAILED.  All our attention should be 100% on getting a QB, not cap space or cutting a third string LB to save money. This thing could end up being a disaster for the Jets. Our only hope is Woody steps up and make a move.

25 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

We just tried it your way and where did that land us?

7 wins that would have been more with even competent QB play.

26 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Right now we have a good to great D and good weapons.  With top 10 QB play this team can beat anyone so are we not going to try because it might cost us a late 1st and another top 60 pick?  Crazy to not try when we haven't sniffed the playoffs in over a decade.

Agreed, just not about Rodgers.  As I have mentioned many times, if Rodgers could give us a minimum of two years.  Great - go for it.  However, that is not a guarantee.  I would much rather have a younger vet that WILL give us several years while we develop (if that is even possible with this franchise) a young QB.  And I don't care about sniffing anything.  I want a SB.  Rodgers is NOT giving us a SB this year.  I'll take any wager anyone cares to throw out on this.

And lets not forget our poor OL.  Rodgers will get killed unless the line is fixed.  There is not doubt JD will do something, but he also done something for the last three years and we still have a **** OL and I really don't care about why.  Until the OL shows it can be a top 15 unit over the course of a season, it can't be assumed it will be good.  Obviously any QB behind a crap OL will look bad, but Rodgers has always had a decent OL.  I am not sure how he would look behind this mess.