2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

23 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Rodgers and Carr didn't make it top 10.   So we don't get it. lol.

Did Rodgers have the receiver talent this past year that we have?  No and he played with a busted thumb.  The guy has been a top 10 qb for almost a decade and a half.  To dismiss him because of this last season is ludacris.

• Like 2

Why the hate on Brett Favre when he was here as a Jet? The guy was a stud and then got hurt. The jets where one of the fav to make a deep playoff run. 

Aaron Rodgers wants to play and get that money. He is not going out missing the playoffs. If the jets get him and they make a deep run Rodgers would not end that way. He is too competative to walk away and be so close. He will sign up for another year. They Jets get Rodgers it is for 2 years and not 1. Then people say he will get killed behind this O line. This OL was missing SEVERAL starters. Then you add the fact Rodgers gets the ball out faster than any QB right now. Ya the guy is goofy and strange but he wants to compete and collect all that money period. Your not a a what 3 time MVP in the NFL without that drive to win. I think this is all crazy talk because most people don't like how he looks or acts. 

• Like 2

Do you think Denver cares that the won with an old Peyton Manning. I dont hear  Tampa complaining they won with an old Tom Brady.   

Me personally I would rather be on the train than waiting on the platform like I have been for the past 30+ years.  Aside from a short stint with Bill, Herm and Rex what have we really had the last 30 years?

• Like 2

I think expecting this team to win a Superbowl in the next 2 years is a bit.. outlandish. Rodgers isn’t getting younger and has only one conference title under his belt. If the goal is to just make the playoffs to save everyone’s jobs, then I get that. But expecting a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 12 years to make a SB run under this staff sounds absurd.

• Like 1

What's the state of your guys OL? 

Bakh and Rodgers are best friends and Rodgers has made it clear he enjoys playing with his pals. Bakh looks finally back to form from his torn knee. 

A package of Rodgers+Bakh would fit both teams

2023: 1st and 2nd
2024: 1st and 3rd
2025: conditional 3rd that goes to a 2nd if Rodgers plays 50%+ snaps and a 1st if they make it to the conference championship  

With Packers eating a significant portion of dead cap for Rodgers and Bakh, Jets should have enough money to fill out any other holes in FA. 

26 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Why the hate on Brett Favre when he was here as a Jet? The guy was a stud and then got hurt. The jets where one of the fav to make a deep playoff run. 

Aaron Rodgers wants to play and get that money. He is not going out missing the playoffs. If the jets get him and they make a deep run Rodgers would not end that way. He is too competative to walk away and be so close. He will sign up for another year. They Jets get Rodgers it is for 2 years and not 1. Then people say he will get killed behind this O line. This OL was missing SEVERAL starters. Then you add the fact Rodgers gets the ball out faster than any QB right now. Ya the guy is goofy and strange but he wants to compete and collect all that money period. Your not a a what 3 time MVP in the NFL without that drive to win. I think this is all crazy talk because most people don't like how he looks or acts. 

True. We have a better team now and before Favre got injured we were one of the best teams in the NFL. It was unfortunate he hurt his shoulder. We literally went 0-5 after his injury that he tried playing through.

This is what gets me when people are down on Rodgers. He had a broken hand for 2/3 the season and people say he’s done. A healthy Rodgers is elite 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, xrade said:

7 wins that would have been more with even competent QB play.

Agreed, just not about Rodgers.  As I have mentioned many times, if Rodgers could give us a minimum of two years.  Great - go for it.  However, that is not a guarantee.  I would much rather have a younger vet that WILL give us several years while we develop (if that is even possible with this franchise) a young QB.  And I don't care about sniffing anything.  I want a SB.  Rodgers is NOT giving us a SB this year.  I'll take any wager anyone cares to throw out on this.

And lets not forget our poor OL.  Rodgers will get killed unless the line is fixed.  There is not doubt JD will do something, but he also done something for the last three years and we still have a **** OL and I really don't care about why.  Until the OL shows it can be a top 15 unit over the course of a season, it can't be assumed it will be good.  Obviously any QB behind a crap OL will look bad, but Rodgers has always had a decent OL.  I am not sure how he would look behind this mess.

The point is to win a chip not make the playoffs.  Rodgers gives you that chance.  Winning is really hard so you betting we won't win with Rodgers isn't some outrageous claim.

I think we can still keep our 1 this year to help the OL and we have the ability to backload and defer money like all other teams do.  We should have protections on the picks if Rodgers does retire but hearing him speak doesn't sound like a guy ready to leave.  It sounds like a leverage play.

We can always just get another younger QB next year or draft one in the mid round this year and let them sit.  I'm shocked people don't want to go into next year with a chance to win the Superbowl by adding Rodgers for a reasonable cost.

2 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Bakh and Rodgers are best friends and Rodgers has made it clear he enjoys playing with his pals. Bakh looks finally back to form from his torn knee. 

2025: conditional 3rd that goes to a 2nd if Rodgers plays 50%+ snaps and a 1st if they make it to the conference championship  

With Packers eating a significant portion of dead cap for Rodgers and Bakh, Jets should have enough money to fill out any other holes in FA. 

I think the price isn’t that high at all and our GM values draft picks.

I think the trade is something along the lines of a 2023 2nd and 2024 2nd if he plays 75% of the snaps, can go to a 1st if Rodgers doesn’t retire after 2023 and goes to a 3rd if he does.

As for Bak…. Don’t think we’re trading a ton for him. Especially since we don’t “need” him. 

10 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

We need a tackle badly but I don’t see this GM giving up even close to that many picks 

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think the price isn’t that high at all and our GM values draft picks.

I think the trade is something along the lines of a 2023 2nd and 2024 2nd if he plays 75% of the snaps, can go to a 1st if Rodgers doesn’t retire after 2023 and goes to a 3rd if he does.

As for Bak…. Don’t think we’re trading a ton for him. Especially since we don’t “need” him. 

The significant value of trading for Rodgers and Bakh is with Packers eating dead cap, you guys will be paying a top QB and top LT below market value which gives you flexibility to build out the rest of your roster. 

From what I've gathered from my friends who are Jets fans, Saleh and your GM will be on the hot seat if they don't perform next year. As fans we're able to see through the lense of our jobs not being on the line. When your job is in jeopardy, people get more desperate. 

Edited by Mdpackfan22

21 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I think expecting this team to win a Superbowl in the next 2 years is a bit.. outlandish. Rodgers isn’t getting younger and has only one conference title under his belt. If the goal is to just make the playoffs to save everyone’s jobs, then I get that. But expecting a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 12 years to make a SB run under this staff sounds absurd.

You sure as hell ain't winning it with Jimmy G.  You might not win one in 2 years but we'll have a shot with Rodgers.  Given it won't be outlandish to obtain him like it was for Russ what is the hold up?

People who don't want to open a Superbowl window even for just 2 years is just crazy to me.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, NYJETS52 said:

Do you think Denver cares that the won with an old Peyton Manning. I dont hear  Tampa complaining they won with an old Tom Brady.   

Me personally I would rather be on the train than waiting on the platform like I have been for the past 30+ years.  Aside from a short stint with Bill, Herm and Rex what have we really had the last 30 years?

This times a million.  Rodgers makes us contenders no question.  Doesn't guarantee anything but why in the world shouldn't we try.

We've been rebuilding for a decade and now the iron is hot to strike and we want Jimmy G so we can be mediocre and keep a pick that may or may not be good because we're scared to take a chance.

Getting Rodgers doesn't cripple our long term strategy, Carr/Jimmy are all getting big money too so it's not like they're cheaper.  I'm coughing up a pick or two to ensure we get a great QB and not a mediocre one all day everyday.

Edited by Rockice_8

17 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

This times a million.  Rodgers makes us contenders no question.  Doesn't guarantee anything but why in the world shouldn't we try.

We've been rebuilding for a decade and now the iron is hot to strike and we want Jimmy G so we can be mediocre and keep a pick that may or may not be good because we're scared to take a chance.

Getting Rodgers doesn't cripple our long term strategy, Carr/Jimmy are all getting big money too so it's not like they're cheaper.  I'm coughing up a pick or two to ensure we get a great QB and not a mediocre one all day everyday.

Jets were almost to get in playoff with those qbs.   Jimmy G surely would get Jets in playoff.

22 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

You sure as hell ain't winning it with Jimmy G.  You might not win one in 2 years but we'll have a shot with Rodgers.  Given it won't be outlandish to obtain him like it was for Russ what is the hold up?

People who don't want to open a Superbowl window even for just 2 years is just crazy to me.

I think the disagreement is that you think this team is ready to win a Superbowl right now with Rodgers while others do not. Sure, if Green Bay wants to let him go for a 2nd, then let’s do it. I’m not giving up even one first round pick for him though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

Jets were almost to get in playoff with those qbs.   Jimmy G surely would get Jets in playoff.

The goal isn't to maybe get to the AFCC game it's to win it all.  Jimmy couldn't win with a better SF team he's not carrying the Jets to a Superbowl.  They'll cost about the same money wise so why not ensure a better QB by paying a few picks.  Makes no sense.