2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

The goal isn't to maybe get to the AFCC game it's to win it all.  Jimmy couldn't win with a better SF team he's not carrying the Jets to a Superbowl.  They'll cost about the same money wise so why not ensure a better QB by paying a few picks.  Makes no sense.

We aren’t winning a Superbowl with Rodgers either, so if it’s multiple picks, no, you continue to build the roster out, not chase a title with a 7 win team and 40 year old QB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

The goal isn't to maybe get to the AFCC game it's to win it all.  Jimmy couldn't win with a better SF team he's not carrying the Jets to a Superbowl.  They'll cost about the same money wise so why not ensure a better QB by paying a few picks.  Makes no sense.

2010 is his last time to reach Super Bowl.   What makes you think he will get Jets into SB?

As I said previously all this first round nonsense started with Peter King.  Purely speculative to make him relevant and drive traffic towards his reporting outlets.  No one is paying 2 1st round picks for a guy that the team doesnt even want to really keep.  Especially at 39 years old.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

2010 is his last time to reach Super Bowl.   What makes you think he will get Jets into SB?

Because since he has won a super bowl Green Bay provided him a top 15 defense one time.  One time.  Green Bay offense carried that team for years.  Our defense is light years better than the packer defense.

4 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

We aren’t winning a Superbowl with Rodgers either, so if it’s multiple picks, no, you continue to build the roster out, not chase a title with a 7 win team and 40 year old QB.

Jets will be a top 3 contender with Rodgers assuming Breece Hall comes back healthy. 

Edited by Mdpackfan22

19 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

This will sound silly because obviously the record shows we had 7 wins but.....are we really a 7 win team?  If we have Aaron Rodgers do we lose both games against New England. Does Rodgers miss multiple throws during the final Detroit drive.  Is he really going 1 for 6 in redzone trips against Minnesota?  Now granted it's only 4 games but it puts us at better than 7 wins.  GW had 1100 yards receiving with essentially no one at QB all year.  Moore was barely used.  I dont think people understand the possibilities that Rodgers brings to this team.  The potential to unlock an offense that hasn't been able to take off its training wheels in almost a decade.  We havent had a 4,000 yard passer since Broadway Joe.  The last time a QB on our roster has thrown more than 10 TDs in a season was 2019.  It's time this needs to happen.

Edited by NYJETS52
Correction
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I think the disagreement is that you think this team is ready to win a Superbowl right now with Rodgers while others do not. Sure, if Green Bay wants to let him go for a 2nd, then let’s do it. I’m not giving up even one first round pick for him though.

Why aren't they contenders?  What are they missing?  Everyone says they're a QB away.  Top 5ish D, plenty of weapons need some work on the OL but nothing major.  If Rodgers is a top 10 QB there is no reason they can't be playing with KC and CIN next year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Just to play along.. what if Breece Hall doesn’t come back healthy?

We will be doomed.  Granted, Hackett can do the magic in run game but we still need another legit RB in the group.  Drafting a true RB can do the trick.   But OL remains questionable.

58 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Not saying he will for sure get us there just that Jimmy G won't for sure.  Puzzled as to why a 2nd and a conditional 1st in 2024 assuming that is close to the compensation is too much to give up have a shot at a chip.  You can sign the next Jimmy G in 2025 if your heart desires.  There's always another mediocre QB floating around in FA.

Plus after seeing Brock Purdy step in and play at Jimmy's level that isn't a major red flag.  You don't think the system has anything to do with his good play when Mr. irrelevant can carry that team to the NFCC.

Jimmy G should not even be an option.  It's Rodgers, Carr as a fall back plan, or bust

Edited by Rockice_8

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'm shocked people don't want to go into next year with a chance to win the Superbowl by adding Rodgers for a reasonable cost.

And that is the crux of the debate.  I do not think Rodgers will get us to the SB.  Everyone pushing the Jets "are a QB away" from winning it all is really just fooling themselves.  We won 7 games last year.  Pretty much where most of us thought we would end up.  But let's not pretend that those 7 wins came against top competition.  We beat a bunch of backup QB's.  I am not going to rehash the debate about the quality of our wins.  I, for one, was just glad to get to December and still enjoy watching the games.  My point is that we need more than just a QB.  We need an OL overhaul.  Yes and overhaul.  Don't kid yourself about that either.  Players will have to be cut just to afford the draft class and Rodgers and Q.  Some think those players are "dead weight" and they may be right, but that is still messing with the team dynamics.

I just don't see that adding Rodgers makes us SB contenders.  Playoff bound - sure.  If Rodgers were to get back to playing like Rodgers used to play then I could see a real run in 2024.  But thats two big ifs; Rodgers playing like he used to and Rodgers actually playing in 2024.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Jimmy couldn't win with a better SF team he's not carrying the Jets to a Superbowl.

You can make that same argument about Rodgers and Green Bay.  Afterall, Jimmy G and Rodgers have the same number of SB wins since Jimmy G entered the league.  Don't get me wrong, Jimmy G has never been in the same class as Rodgers who is one of the all time great QB's.  But using just the teams success as a measuring stick is extremely flawed.

For me, having Jimmy G (or Carr) for several years is better than having a 40 year old Rodgers who may decide to hang it up before we are ready to pass the baton to a QB we developed.