2023 Off Season / Draft Thread

DM316

Just now, BowlesDawgDX said:

Agreed on Bridgewater. I could come around on Trubisky depending on contract. I still think dominoes fall in such a way that Tannehill ends up here (just gut, and it looks like TEN may look to start fresh).

Now that we're a week away from free agency, who do you think we'll target? Jessie Bates seems a given with the pics on the internet. We've discussed Davenport, think we make a run at him as well. A veteran QB seems a given as well. Anyone else? I hope we go big on one or two of the "first wave" free agents, then wait until the second wave to fill other needs. I'm curious if we will target an RT in FA or in the draft

I don't think Davenport is a guy they're in on. I do think they go after Bates and someone like CJGJ.

• Like 1

Looking more and more like the chances of signing McGary are slim. I think (and I obviously have no idea) that Fontenot may have offered him a contract extension in the 14-16M annual range, but he’s looking to be probably about 20M+ per year.

Luckily, this draft is loaded with good OT talent, just gotta pick the right guy. Do we go someone like Skoronski or Broderick Jones in round 1? Or do we wait until round 2 and grab a guy like Paris Johnson or Freeland? Going to be interesting! 

Sucks losing a homegrown guy like McGary just as he was coming into his own in the NFL, but we should get a nice 3rd round compensatory pick for him in 24

Loving our moves so far!

The Atlanta Falcons are giving Pro Bowl right guard Chris Lindstrom a five-year extension, the franchise announced Monday.

The deal is for five years and $105 million, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter and Jeremy Fowler, making him the NFL's highest-paid guard, and it will now keep him with the club through the 2028 season.

Amazing deal for us. I feel that Lindstrom could have reset the guard market by a fair amount over the 1M per year that his contract is worth over Nelson's. May not seem like it, but I feel we got a small hometown discount on this one.

The Atlanta Falcons have traded a 2023 seventh-round pick (No. 245) to the New England Patriots for tight end Jonnu Smith, sources told ESPN on Monday, confirming multiple reports.

Smith knows him and obviously wanted him. Offensive weapons are looking REAL nice.

#Falcons have agreed to terms with DT David Onyemata, source says. Reunites with defensive coordinator Ryan Nielsen.

Seeing that it is for 3 years 35 million. 11.66 per year is certainly a premium for him. 8/10 happy about the player, 5/10 happy about the contract. He'll definitely contribute meaningful snaps alongside Jarrett and should improve our defense.

Edited by SoCalDirtyBird
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoCalDirtyBird said:

Loving our moves so far!

Amazing deal for us. I feel that Lindstrom could have reset the guard market by a fair amount over the 1M per year that his contract is worth over Nelson's. May not seem like it, but I feel we got a small hometown discount on this one.

Smith knows him and obviously wanted him. Offensive weapons are looking REAL nice.

Seeing that it is for 3 years 35 million. 11.66 per year is certainly a premium for him. 8/10 happy about the player, 5/10 happy about the contract. He'll definitely contribute meaningful snaps alongside Jarrett and should improve our defense.

Jonnu also restructured.

Terry cookin'. Love every move. Eyes on OL, edge, and WR now. I think CB is a position we'll look to address via the draft. 

Tons of good players still available. Not sure if we'll look to set the market at anymore positions, but I don't think we're anywhere near done. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, swoosh said:

Terry cookin'. Love every move. Eyes on OL, edge, and WR now. I think CB is a position we'll look to address via the draft. 

Tons of good players still available. Not sure if we'll look to set the market at anymore positions, but I don't think we're anywhere near done. 

Gonzalez at 8 would be awesome.

• Like 1

My dream scenario:

- Sign a true pass rushing edge like Yannick (others available too)

- Shore up the OL in FA

- Sign a competent WR2; we don't need to set the market here as there are plenty of guys that would fit this role

- BPA in the draft, but with a focus on DL and CB in rounds 1 and 2

Edited by swoosh

7 minutes ago, swoosh said:

My dream scenario:

- Sign a true pass rushing edge like Yannick (others available too)

- Shore up the OL in FA

- Sign a competent WR2; we don't need to set the market here as there are plenty of guys that would fit this role

- BPA in the draft, but with a focus on DL and CB in rounds 1 and 2

I second this. There's depth at those 2 spots in this draft too.