The Last Of Us - HBO ***Learned People Only***

Ty21

This will be the spoiler thread for all the cultured people on the forums. 

I wonder how the intro will hit. Will Druckmann want to do a total reiteration of his game or will it feel new and unique? Will it suck if he does?

I played the first game 3-4 times and have watched people play it on YouTube like twice (once right now). Should be very easy to make this story work so I hope they don’t **** it up. I feel like HBO is putting all its eggs in this basket 

55 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

From what I’ve read the first episode is a lot of pre events. I think episode 3 is where it really kicks off. 

It makes sense. In a game, you can make you care about the characters easier, partially just by being able to play as them and put yourself in their shoes. In the show they’ll have to set up the character enough for you to care about them before killing them off. 

And I’m also interested in a slower churning Cordyceps fungal infection setup. I hope they don’t take this show as a race to the finish and then find themselves having to create a new plot too soon. 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

It makes sense. In a game, you can make you care about the characters easier, partially just by being able to play as them and put yourself in their shoes. In the show they’ll have to set up the character enough for you to care about them before killing them off. 

And I’m also interested in a slower churning Cordyceps fungal infection setup. I hope they don’t take this show as a race to the finish and then find themselves having to create a new plot too soon. 

The first game took around 20 hours to beat iirc. So they could definitely show the first game story line over two seasons. Episode 4 is reportedly 50 minutes; so almost 4 1/2 hours between those first 4 episodes. There's 9 episodes total. Obviously it won't be 100% game to screen, but it could be close.

6 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

The first game took around 20 hours to beat iirc. So they could definitely show the first game story line over two seasons. Episode 4 is reportedly 50 minutes; so almost 4 1/2 hours between those first 4 episodes. There's 9 episodes total. Obviously it won't be 100% game to screen, but it could be close.

Will 2 years be long enough to get Abby’s actor jacked like a 1990’s baseball player?

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

If she didn't throw herself into blacklist purgatory - Gina Mazany would qualify as well....same issues as Ronda Rousey (dubious acting ability).

Ideally the actress would be a similar approximate age to the Ellie actor. Olivia Dunne the LSU gymnast actually seems like she’d be a good hire. She’ll just need to throw on approximately 345 lbs of pure colossal muscle before season 3. 

11 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Ideally the actress would be a similar approximate age to the Ellie actor. Olivia Dunne the LSU gymnast actually seems like she’d be a good hire. She’ll just need to throw on approximately 345 lbs of pure colossal muscle before season 3. 

TBH given HBO's casting decisions, I'm not that worried. 

I also don't think we're going to get to LOU2 material until S3-4.....keep in mind there's pretty strong speculation LOU3 could be released by 2026+ (unconfirmed reports it's starting production, and the creator Druckmann, while cautioning insider info isn't always true <so cryptic>, clearly hinted part3 is inevitable, saying "there's still plenty of story to tell") -  so waiting to get to at least S3 for LOU2....makes a ton of sense IMO.

I would be VERY disappointed if the new series didn't take some new directions.   It can't be just a redux of the game.   The whole point is to delve into the characters more than the game did.   I get fans won't want to ignore the excellent source material, but it's not much of a standalone project if it's just a plain rehash.    

Edited by Broncofan

Heard season 1 is very accurate to the game. So if it goes to a season 2 are they really going to kill off Pedro Pascal in the 1st episode? I mean I know shows like GOT did phenomenal after killing off their man character but can Bella Ramsey really carry the show in a second season? The Abby casting better be top notch.

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Heard season 1 is very accurate to the game. So if it goes to a season 2 are they really going to kill off Pedro Pascal in the 1st episode? I mean I know shows like GOT did phenomenal after killing off their man character but can Bella Ramsey really carry the show in a second season? The Abby casting better be top notch.

That's why I think they'll take two seasons or more to get through the first game. They could even include stuff that happened between the two games as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

TBH given HBO's casting decisions, I'm not that worried. 

I also don't think we're going to get to LOU2 material until S3-4.....keep in mind there's pretty strong speculation LOU3 could be released by 2026+ (unconfirmed reports it's starting production, and the creator Druckmann, while cautioning insider info isn't always true <so cryptic>, clearly hinted part3 is inevitable, saying "there's still plenty of story to tell") -  so waiting to get to at least S3 for LOU2....makes a ton of sense IMO.

I would be VERY disappointed if the new series didn't take some new directions.   It can't be just a redux of the game.   The whole point is to delve into the characters more than the game did.   I get fans won't want to ignore the excellent source material, but it's not much of a standalone project if it's just a plain rehash.    

What is naughty dog even working on at this point? There's no new Uncharted, obviously they haven't been working on a Last of Us 3 yet

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

The thing of GOT was that Eddard and Robert were mirages as main characters. They were only ever introductory characters to set up the primary guys. The last of us will have to have strength beyond just Joel and Ellie or Joel’s death would definitely signal the show’s downfall. So Tommy will hopefully be good and at least two compelling fireflies. I do think it’ll be paced slower than your time frame though. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

What is naughty dog even working on at this point? There's no new Uncharted, obviously they haven't been working on a Last of Us 3 yet

I read they have a couple going on. I’ll play whatever they do. If their next game is about an immobile carrot, I’ll still play it. 

• Like 1

I really liked the pilot. Idk how it’ll land with the people coming in blind. Pacing so far parallels the game. Even the “how did you pay for this?” “I sell drugs. Hardcore drugs” lines stayed the same.

-I’m not sure they could’ve cast Joel better without casting Troy Baker again.

-The daughter death scene was hard again and emotional even though I knew it was coming. They didn’t really draw that scene out though.
-I laughed when I saw the dude from Rampage in it (edgy school shooter type guy movie) to play Robert. They should’ve given him a little more screen time as the first antagonist from the game

-a touch of the why it happened tickles my fancy, I didn’t love zombie movies back in the day that just thrust it upon you without explaining the whys

-Ellie actress isn’t bad so far, she has some Ellen page brusque feistiness to her 

-I feel like I’ve never known more about a show or what is going to happen in it beforehand