GB's and Jerry Straps: Dallas @ Niners

HDsportsfan

4 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

GB: Lamb 

JOCKS:  Lots to go around. 

The multitude of missed opportunities is mind numbing. Easy picks. Turpin inexplicably missing the massive green run way. Momentum changing moments and they just fall by the wayside.

I mean Turpin backed into the kicker LMFAO.

Game ball goes to Kelvin Joseph, whom I simply can’t believe anyone on this forum ever doubted

In all seriousness, I think Dallas came out a game plan that put ourselves in position to win against a very, very good team. The heavy involvement of Lamb including as a runner was nice to see, obviously our only real chance of sustaining offense after Pollard went down. I think people calling for McCarthy’s head because of a couple of punts and that silly final play are being obtuse. Dak, on the other hand… yeesh

edit: the OL play was also markedly better than last year’s Niners loss, IMO. Can’t blame the protection, Dak had tons of clean pockets

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Game ball goes to Kelvin Joseph, whom I simply can’t believe anyone on this forum ever doubted

In all seriousness, I think Dallas came out a game plan that put ourselves in position to win against a very, very good team. The heavy involvement of Lamb including as a runner was nice to see, obviously our only real chance of sustaining offense after Pollard went down. I think people calling for McCarthy’s head because of a couple of punts and that silly final play are being obtuse. Dak, on the other hand… yeesh

edit: the OL play was also markedly better than last year’s Niners loss, IMO. Can’t blame the protection, Dak had tons of clean pockets

All fair points.

As far as McCarthy goes, I don't man. I just don't feel it with him. I'm tired of retreads. Look at the Eagles, Rams, Niners, Giants. At whatever time frame they changed the trajectory of their teams. And I'll argue with myself, then you have Pederson in J'ville (although Trevor looks to be the real deal).

2 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

All fair points.

As far as McCarthy goes, I don't man. I just don't feel it with him. I'm tired of retreads. Look at the Eagles, Rams, Niners, Giants. At whatever time frame they changed the trajectory of their teams. And I'll argue with myself, then you have Pederson in J'ville (although Trevor looks to be the real deal).

I don’t necessarily disagree. The problem is the apple of everyone’s eye right now is yet another retread, who for all intents and purposes, is just McCarthy with better branding

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree. The problem is the apple of everyone’s eye right now is yet another retread, who for all intents and purposes, is just McCarthy with better branding

Another fair point. But oddly enough, and seems weird to say, I just see Payton holding player more accountable (whatever definition one might put that). But at least be more aggressive in your face type of guy.

Gameball. O line maybe? They played pretty well vs a very good niners front 7.  And had pollard been out there in second half I think he breaks some cause holes were there zeke just doesn’t have burst to hit them like tony does. 

lamb had good game too.  

jock straps: defensive gameplan in second half. Just played too soft on outside allowed way too many easy first read throws for a rookie qb. All that pressure we had in first half was gone the second half cause pass rushers didn’t have time to get there. 

Dak: very obvious one here. He played bad. Missed few open guys that he never even saw. And when he did see them his ball placement wasn’t good. And man those picks specifically the one inside the red zone where he had time but tried to force it in anyways. 

They may not have been perfect, but I want to acknowledge that that was pretty close to a lights out defensive performance in that situation- going on the road again on 5 days rest against *that* team. If you’re a Niners fan, surely you must come out of that game thinking that was the best defense your team has faced in months, if not all year.

I mean, I know they kind of ran out of gas at the end, but man. 4 punts, 4 FGAs, and 1 TD on 9 drives for SF. 312 yards all day, 5 YPP. Two 3-and-outs, a key red zone stop after Dak’s first INT. Held them to 32/113 on the ground compared 38/169 last year. 6 tackles behind the LOS. Held CMC to 16 yards at halftime. Deebo, 4/11 on the ground and 4/45 through the air. Aiyuk, 2/26. Lawrence’s best game in a big spot in years. So on and so forth.

Obvioisly Kittle was a problem and we needed to capitalize on the few chances Purdy gave us. But given the circumstances, the short rest and the bullies on the field for SF, our team was much more up for the street fight this time around compared to last year. I can’t ever remember seeing our defenders flying to the ball carrier in the hole like that- to me it looked like we were risking late hits on like 4 or 5 different plays.

The defense always ****s the bed in these spots and they didn’t yesterday, all things considered. They played their ***es off (except Diggs). They played angry. It was enjoyable to watch until it became clear the offense would not come through.

• Like 1