2023 Player movement rumors

Forge

9 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I think a big issue with McDaniels, and other Pats Tree coaches, is they are actually incredibly talented coaches with a deep understanding of the game, but they lack social skills to communicate to a large segment of players. They demand accountability in their system, and can't communicate that in a human way so a lot of good fits just fail. It's hard to then implement this without the actual Bill in charge to give a bunch of rings as to why one should buy in.

I'd imagine that it's also hard to get guys to buy in like Bill does because he's the greatest coach of all time and someone like JMD isn't even close to that. One of the things that we heard a ton last year was that it was a "no fun zone" at practice, etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

In what world is Lamar Jackson similar to Tim Tebow? I think Lamar would play pretty well with Josh Jacobs, Davante Adams, Darren Waller, and Hunter Renfrow, that's just me though.

Big athletic QB’s that can make really great throws and have never shown the ability to stay in a traditional pocket? McDaniels showed nothing with Tebow. Fox got a playoff win out of him. Greg Roman got tons of value out of Lamar. I think the next OC with a committed running game will get similar value. McDaniels? I have no faith as a head coach he could manage Lamar’s personality and get good value out of him. 

Just now, Leoric said:

Big athletic QB’s that can make really great throws and have never shown the ability to stay in a traditional pocket? McDaniels showed nothing with Tebow. Fox got a playoff win out of him. Greg Roman got tons of value out of Lamar. I think the next OC with a committed running game will get similar value. McDaniels? I have no faith as a head coach he could manage Lamar’s personality and get good value out of him. 

In his lone year as a starter Tebow only completed 46% of his passes and then never got another chance to play again. So I'm not really going to hold that against him, Tebow was a terrible NFL player, that's why he was out of the league almost immediately after he got a playoff win. He hardly even played for JMD in Denver too because he got fired during his rookie season. 

When McDaniels just had Cam Newton in New England they had the second lowest passing volume of any team in the league. And they tried to play to his strengths, they were 3rd in attempts and 4th in rushing yards.

6 minutes ago, Leoric said:

Imagine seriously comparing the two…

They’re nothing alike.

To go back in the direction I assume McDaniels was brought up, is I think Lamar would do well with McDaniels. We would need to start drafting defense well though and fast. That said though, I think stat wise shoot out Lamar would put up crazy numbers with our weapons and a lack of defense. I like the idea of rolling the dice on Anthony Richardson (or Stroud who shouldn't be at 7) too, or trading for Rodgers. Disappointing would be like Jimmy (fine, but not exciting) or Bryce Young (fine plus, Tua-ish where a lot of posters/fans are going to criticize it forever) or Levis (please no). Stidham would be interesting to me in that I think he'd work as looking okay and captain a sinking ship to Caleb Williams.

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

To go back in the direction I assume McDaniels was brought up, is I think Lamar would do well with McDaniels. We would need to start drafting defense well though and fast. That said though, I think stat wise shoot out Lamar would put up crazy numbers with our weapons and a lack of defense. I like the idea of rolling the dice on Anthony Richardson (or Stroud who shouldn't be at 7) too, or trading for Rodgers. Disappointing would be like Jimmy (fine, but not exciting) or Bryce Young (fine plus, Tua-ish where a lot of posters/fans are going to criticize it forever) or Levis (please no). Stidham would be interesting to me in that I think he'd work as looking okay and captain a sinking ship to Caleb Williams.

JMD showed with Cam and Mac that he's capable of adjusting his scheme to fit the strengths of his players.

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

They’re nothing alike.

Well I mean you could compare him to the former 2016 mvp that McDaniels actually coached last year. It’s all moot. The only way the Raiders get Lamar is if they are willing to pay him more than the Ravens, fully guarantee it and then ship Baltimore multiple first round picks. You guys have been playing too much Madden if you think there is a realistic chance of that happening. Lamar will stay in Baltimore. They aren’t about to blow up the roster and start a rebuild right after extending Harbaugh. 

12 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

They’re nothing alike.

Other than....that 1 playoff win, mobility, horrid accuracy, and near Jake Locker level mechanics requiring an offense to be absolutely tailored to their few strengths and hope that it can mask the glaring weaknesses....yeah nothing alike at all. 

Edited by ronjon1990

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

JMD showed with Cam and Mac that he's capable of adjusting his scheme to fit the strengths of his players.

No. BB showed he can adjust his team to make up for mediocre QB play. McDaniels didn’t Captain that ship. He has shown he can win a couple games with Kyle Orton though… while videotaping the other team. 

Edited by Leoric
  • Like 1

Just now, Leoric said:

No. BB showed he can adjust his team to make up for mediocre QB play. McDaniels didn’t Captain that ship. 

JMD's offenses have always been pretty pass heavy and they had the second lowest passing volume of any team in the league and were a power running team with Cam. If BB is such a great offensive mind that's captaining the ship, why did the Patriots have such a dramatic drop off this season without him?

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Other than....that 1 playoff win, mobility, horrid accuracy, and near Jake Locker level mechanics requiring an offense to be absolutely tailored to their few strengths and hope that it can mask the glaring weaknesses. 

One is a former league MVP that has completed 65% of his passes, the other was out of the league within 3 seasons and completed less than 50% of his passes. 

7 minutes ago, Leoric said:

Well I mean you could compare him to the former 2016 mvp that McDaniels actually coached last year. It’s all moot. The only way the Raiders get Lamar is if they are willing to pay him more than the Ravens, fully guarantee it and then ship Baltimore multiple first round picks. You guys have been playing too much Madden if you think there is a realistic chance of that happening. Lamar will stay in Baltimore. They aren’t about to blow up the roster and start a rebuild right after extending Harbaugh. 

Man... Matt Ryan still won and is the actual 2016 MVP.

EDIT: Saying Matt Ryan's name just reminded me that he was unbenched by JEFF SATURDAY in his first coaching start ever and beat Josh McDaniels Raiders. Oof.

Edited by Trojan