Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

23 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

It might. He almost brought his hands up high enough to mimic a Fair catch. I wonder what they will do to address this? OR just leave it in. I mean the hidden ball trick picking off a runner is rarely used in baseball, but is still around.

Some would say the kicking team has to play until the whistle. That’s fine but thinking about it on a fair catch play the whistle is usually blown late mostly to signify change of possession rather than the end of the play. That said, in today’s game coaches are screaming at defenders not to touch ballcarriers unless they have to for fear of a 15 yard penalty, ejection, jail time what have you. Maybe the coach or returner gave the official a heads up. Like you said it’s so rare nothing will be done 

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

It might. He almost brought his hands up high enough to mimic a Fair catch. I wonder what they will do to address this? OR just leave it in. I mean the hidden ball trick picking off a runner is rarely used in baseball, but is still around.

At the same time, he seemed to use both hands to mimic the fair catch signal (if anyone that focuses on the returner (All 22 view?), please post it), or at least make it look like the "scatter away" signal returners will use if the ball drops. I remember a few years ago a Redskin did the same thing, got crushed, the refs threw the flag, and then picked it up because he did not make the correct signal.

The real problem with that play isn't for North Texas (that's a one shot kind of deal), but for one of Arkansas's opponents down the line.

You know the coach will be drilling into their heads to play through the whistle. And they will. And then there will be some returner who makes a legitimate fair catch signal where the gunner doesn't hear it, and said returner is going to get pasted.

Am I the only one who thinks the play was a little bit of poor sportsmanship? I understand it was smart and all that but by faking a fair catch in today’s day of ultra protectionism for offensive players, it just seems like poor sportsmanship because defensive players are already affraid to tackle offensive players too hard for fear of being ejected.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Am I the only one who thinks the play was a little bit of poor sportsmanship? I understand it was smart and all that but by faking a fair catch in today’s day of ultra protectionism for offensive players, it just seems like poor sportsmanship because defensive players are already affraid to tackle offensive players too hard for fear of being ejected.

Along with the fake running out of bounds we see every once in a while. As long as defenders aren’t allowed to hit we’re gonna see this kind of stuff. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, kinda. But I mean, that's why coaches say play to the whistle. The defender was right in his face. The returner even said that the defender asked "why the refs hadn't blown the whistle yet" and then walked away

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, kinda. But I mean, that's why coaches say play to the whistle. The defender was right in his face. The returner even said that the defender asked "why the refs hadn't blown the whistle yet" and then walked away

That’s funny. Well, if I was the team playing him this week I’d light up that returner on a fair catch to send a message. I’d take the 15-yd penalty.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

That’s funny. Well, if I was the team playing him this week I’d light up that returner on a fair catch to send a message. I’d take the 15-yd penalty.

You as coach of said team would then be deservedly derided/shunned. You don't go into a game looking to injure another player intentionally, or if you do, you should be removed from coaching the sport. There can be no "sweep the leg, Johnny" style coaches.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Woz said:

You as coach of said team would then be deservedly derided/shunned. You don't go into a game looking to injure another player intentionally, or if you do, you should be removed from coaching the sport. There can be no "sweep the leg, Johnny" style coaches.

Not injury him, just put a hard hit on him.

15 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I dunno. There's a reason there are rules against drilling a returner who is stationary  and has signalled for a fair catch

Yes, it’s like the new NFL QB hitting rule, one time Aaron Rodgers gets hurt and then there’s a new rule that you basically can’t land on the Qb when tackling him.