The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

4 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Why not? We should always question it. I'm not for having blind faith on anyone on the team or FO. 

We traded a 4th, got no production, did not win a Super Bowl, and now do not have that 4th to replace players we will lose due to cap limitations.

Just now, Broadway Joe said:

I don't think staying away from Robert Quinn midseason would make anyone gun shy or fireable. 

You're missing the point and using hindsight. Congrats.

Robert Quinn was a damn good player in 2021, and we were primed to make a title run this year. That's absolutely a move you make. 

Sometimes you people always act like "oh yeah I knew it'd be this way for sure.". Revisionist history bologna.

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

What moves need to be made to sign Braxton Berrios?

To make any moves, Eagles need to be cap compliant by 4 PM EST today is the first domino.

The only contracts the Eagles can restructure to make cap space are Lane Johnson and Darius Slay.

Eagles can get 23-25 million of cap space with those.

What bothers me more than anything about the majority of sports fans, but ESPECIALLY philly fans, is that they are honest with themselves realizing when something was clearly the right move at the time or something they agreed with, and then lie about **** later on, even to themselves.

We all have bad takes. Every GM makes moves that don't always pan out even when it clearly seems like the right move when it's executed. Be ****ing honest and own your damn takes.

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Robert Quinn was a damn good player in 2021, and we were primed to make a title run this year. That's absolutely a move you make. 

Quinn had 1 sack and 2 tackles for loss, while playing 68% of the defensive snaps before the trade.  It was quite clear his play had dropped off, and it was quite clear his 18 1/2 sack season the year before was an anomaly coming off a 2 sack season in 2021.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

To make any moves, Eagles need to be cap compliant by 4 PM EST today is the first domino.

The only contracts the Eagles can restructure to make cap space are Lane Johnson and Darius Slay.

Eagles can get 23-25 million of cap space with those.

By the time we are done restructuring Lanes contract he will get a yearly million bucks like Bobby Bonilla.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

What bothers me more than anything about the majority of sports fans, but ESPECIALLY philly fans, is that they are honest with themselves realizing when something was clearly the right move at the time or something they agreed with, and then lie about **** later on, even to themselves.

We all have bad takes. Every GM makes moves that don't always pan out even when it clearly seems like the right move when it's executed. Be ****ing honest and own your damn takes.

Obviously I was on another forum at the time, but @4for4PhillyFan can back me up, and he agreed with me if I remember correctly that it was a horrendous trade.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Quinn had 1 sack and 2 tackles for loss, while playing 68% of the defensive snaps before the trade.  It was quite clear his play had dropped off, and it was quite clear his 18 1/2 sack season the year before was an anomaly coming off a 2 sack season in 2021.

The 2 sack season was in 2020.

I won't speak for you, as you weren't here when the Quinn trade was made. If you called it out as a bad deal at the time, then congrats on being correct and I'll give it to you.

I want my GM being aggressive when we're in position to bring home another Lombardi though.

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

You're missing the point and using hindsight. Congrats.

Sometimes you people always act like "oh yeah I knew it'd be this way for sure.". Revisionist history bologna.

Actually you were the one missing the point from my first reply. Quinn or not, you should always question the moves/players on our team, nothing wrong with that, it is even better.

As for the Quinn stuff, I don't think I was very on board for the trade since the beginning. But still my second reply is not about whether or not the trade worked, but that it was a mid season trade for a role player at best that you shouldn't call anyone gun shy or replaceable because of not going for it. 

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

The 2 sack season was in 2020.

I won't speak for you, as you weren't here when the Quinn trade was made. If you called it out as a bad deal at the time, then congrats on being correct and I'll give it to you.

I want my GM being aggressive when we're in position to bring home another Lombardi though.

My bad on the bolded, but you knew what I meant.

I was leery of guy who played across from Khalil Mack, and being 32 years old being able to duplicate that type of production, especially with two sacks the year before, and 1 sack at the time of the trade.

1 minute ago, Broadway Joe said:

Actually you were the one missing the point from my first reply. Quinn or not, you should always question the moves/players on our team, nothing wrong with that, it is even better.

As for the Quinn stuff, I don't think I was very on board for the trade since the beginning. But still my second reply is not about whether or not the trade worked, but that it was a mid season trade for a role player at best that you shouldn't call anyone gun shy or replaceable because of not going for it. 

I'll gladly give up a 4th round pick for a player who could be a big contributor during a title run. Even if it doesn't work out. In 2017 it did with Jay Ajayi.

My mantra has always been, hold your cards very close, don't play hands that aren't likely to win you anything, but if you see your opportunity you absolutely need to bet big and go for it.