The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

10 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I just can’t get past him driving (likely drunk) at 100 mph and then allegedly driving away after his teammate wrapped their SUV around a pole. And it was reported in the Atlanta Journal Constitution they were leaving a strip club and heading for Waffle House. If that doesn’t scream I’m too drunk to make good decisions, I don’t know what does. 

Wait a minute. Leaving a strip club and heading for Waffle House is a bad decision now? 

(We don't even have Waffle Houses here :( )

11 hours ago, Kiltman said:

The motor issues thing has been said about a lot of guys.

More worried than before, but if we get him I’d be fairly confident in it working. Unless he’s like super off the rails and flames out, think the locker room will correct some of that stuff.

First good reason I have seen for retaining multiple 30+ year old players while letting some good young players walk.

12 minutes ago, downundermike said:

What do you guys think is the delay on getting a Jalen Hurts contract extension done ??

The team cap situation, Hurts and his representatives waiting to see what other QB's get ??

Honestly,  I think it's his Agent. In fact I think all Agents of Burrow, Herbert,  ect are waiting to see what Lamar gets. 

I figured for sure Howie would have that deal done 12:01am FA opening to make sure Hurts contract was done before those 3 players. 

I'm curious if Jalen and those other players are intentionally waiting to 1, not hurt Lamars negotiations and 2, exceed his contract being next in line?

Hopefully We get it done soon. Last thing we need is the other 3 signing first. 

15 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Honestly,  I think it's his Agent. In fact I think all Agents of Burrow, Herbert,  ect are waiting to see what Lamar gets. 

I figured for sure Howie would have that deal done 12:01am FA opening to make sure Hurts contract was done before those 3 players. 

I'm curious if Jalen and those other players are intentionally waiting to 1, not hurt Lamars negotiations and 2, exceed his contract being next in line?

Not sure how they would hurt Lamar's negotiations.  All of them IMO are worth more than Lamar.

12 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Could definitely see them not wanting to hurt Lamar a fellow QB. 

Starting to feel less and less like we'll be getting a discount. It'll suck but that's what Howie's for anyways. Trust

Just now, downundermike said:

Not sure how they would hurt Lamar's negotiations.  All of them IMO are worth more than Lamar.

If they all sign massive deals it'll hurt Lamar from the Ravens side. They already don't wanna pay up. If that number skyrockets even more then it's gonna be an even bigger issue Ravens wise. It may help him on the other end get out of Baltimore

38 minutes ago, downundermike said:

What do you guys think is the delay on getting a Jalen Hurts contract extension done ??

The team cap situation, Hurts and his representatives waiting to see what other QB's get ??

I think Lamar is just a big domino with the guaranteed money. It doesn’t seem like that’s getting solved any time soon though.

Suspect some more “team focused” guys like Jalen might just get it done beforehand longer it goes on. Don’t think he wants to break the bank with this.

Whatever his extension is, it’ll probably be light this year cap number wise. So could also be figuring out how much space there will be in 2023.

14 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think Lamar is just a big domino with the guaranteed money. It doesn’t seem like that’s getting solved any time soon though.

Suspect some more “team focused” guys like Jalen might just get it done beforehand longer it goes on. Don’t think he wants to break the bank with this.

Whatever his extension is, it’ll probably be light this year cap number wise. So could also be figuring out how much space there will be in 2023.

Jalen's deal should have no impact on the 2023 cap.  New deal starts in 2024, and should have a low cap number.

2025, the second year when the numbers take a big jump I see is the issue in negotiations.  Eagles currently have 97.4 million in 2025 cap space, but only have 11 players under contract.  

So you have to fit Jalen's second year number, plus 41 other players in for 97.4 million.  Josh Allen's cap hit on the second year of his new deal is 47 million, so using say 40 million as a number, the Eagles would then have 57.4 million to fill out the other 41 roster spots in 2025.

Edited by downundermike

29 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Jalen's deal should have no impact on the 2023 cap.  New deal starts in 2024, and should have a low cap number.

2025, the second year when the numbers take a big jump I see is the issue in negotiations.  Eagles currently have 97.4 million in 2025 cap space, but only have 11 players under contract.  

So you have to fit Jalen's second year number, plus 41 other players in for 97.4 million.  Josh Allen's cap hit on the second year of his new deal is 47 million, so using say 40 million as a number, the Eagles would then have 57.4 million to fill out the other 41 roster spots in 2025.

Isn’t there something about him signing post June 1 that affects things?

6 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Isn’t there something about him signing post June 1 that affects things?

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/breakdowns/are-fully-guaranteed-contracts-changing-the-nfl-forever/

“We may have hit a turning point with the Cleveland Browns and Deshaun Watson,’’ Tretter wrote in the letter. “For years, clubs have told agents that a main reason for not guaranteeing contracts was the ‘funding rule’ – an archaic league rule that says teams must put into escrow an amount of money equal to what they are guaranteeing a player in any contract beyond the first year.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Nothing out of the ordinary.  I’m not concerned.  Wentz was done in June, if I remember correctly.   

They shouldn’t want to wait to see what other QB’s get.  They want to get in front of Burrow being announced, that’s for sure.  

• Like 1