The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

13 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Regardless, by your rationale, we just dust him? 

Maybe. It would have depended on what the team doctors were saying. Either way, it's not like replacing Graham would have been some insurmountable task. He sure as hell wasn't worth what we paid him over his first 4-5 years.

Edited by Jeezla

26 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Graham was written off due to microfracture surgery basically being considered a career ender, but then the surgery for it took a leap forward right around the time he got it.

No he was written of as a bust because he wasn't JPP! Wasn't putting up double digit sacks! Had nothing to do with the surgery. 

Here we are 13 years later, his 1st ever double digit sack season. Almost a 2x SB Champion. 

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

No he was written of as a bust because he wasn't JPP! Wasn't putting up double digit sacks! Had nothing to do with the surgery. 

Here we are 13 years later, his 1st ever double digit sack season. Almost a 2x SB Champion. 

No, it was 100% because of Microfracture surgery. It literally ended the career of everyone who had it up until the time B Graham got it. The same way an ACL used to be an auto 2 years of rehab before you came back, until AP did what he did in like 10 months.

Edited by Jeezla

Just now, Jeezla said:

Maybe. It would have depended on what the team doctors were saying. Either way, it's not like replacing Graham would have been some insurmountable task.

I’m just trying to make the point that a little adversity to the start of a guys career means you’re taking him out to pasture already? It’s just premature bro. That’s all. It’s not like he was a bum. Davis’ metrics were great against the run. That’s already half the battle. Let him develop his hands and feet before we write him off. Guys like Kelce eat physical specimens alive if they don’t have their technique together. Davis will learn. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I don't want my argument to come off as me just defending every pick Howie has ever made. I personally would have preferred Hamilton last year over Davis. I just don't think people understand their own arguments. People are pointing to the Seahawks and Chiefs. I don't think these teams went into the year thinking their rookie classes would produce the way they did. The just drafted the best players on their board and let them compete in camp. It just turned out these players were really good and probably even better than they thought. Now you can point to that and say well the Eagles need to do that!!! But that just isn't a realistic expectation. Getting multiple starter level players in the mid to late rounds is very rare and these teams just did a really good job in the draft this year.

Realistically my main point is pretty simple: Draft the best players on your board when you are picking and hope they can compete early and often.... but don't go into the draft expecting to fill holes in the draft. I would love it if all of our drafts were just like 2021 with high tier starters year one and multiple role players behind them. Reality says that is unlikely for every franchise and that counting on rookies to play tons of snaps typically means your roster is lacking in talent.

If your roster is lacking in talent that typically means you're drafting very poorly over an extended period of time, which is exactly what has happened to the Eagles. Its a combination of Howie drafting very poorly and also not getting production out of certain players because they are considered project players who sit for entire seasons so that we go into the next season with the same holes to fill because he chose to neglect certain positions for those project players. This is why he has to trade multiple draft picks for players and sign a lot of 1 year deals in FA. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

I’m just trying to make the point that a little adversity to the start of a guys career means you’re taking him out to pasture already? It’s just premature bro. That’s all. It’s not like he was a bum. Davis’ metrics were great against the run. That’s already half the battle. Let him develop his hands and feet before we write him off. Guys like Kelce eat physical specimens alive if they don’t have their technique together. Davis will learn. 

B Graham and Jordan Davis is not an apples to apples comparison.

B Graham was a sack monster in college and the Senior Bowl MVP iirc. Davis wasn't. 

There's a big difference between expecting a guy to be what he was in college when he's finally healthy vs expecting a guy to become something he wasn't, aka a pass rusher, like all of you are doing with Davis.

5 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

B Graham and Jordan Davis is not an apples to apples comparison.

B Graham was a sack monster in college and the Senior Bowl MVP iirc. Davis wasn't. 

There's a big difference between expecting a guy to be what he was in college when he's finally healthy vs expecting a guy to become something he wasn't, aka a pass rusher, like all of you are doing with Davis.

The comparison was strictly about giving a guy time to develop. That’s it. 

Besides the point but since you brought it up; Graham had 17 sacks through his first contract. Let’s not pretend he was a “sack master” then or even ever. He’s a well rounded DE. Took him over 6 years to get more than 11 QB hits and over 7 years to get more than 6.5 sacks. 

All the point was, he needs a chance to develop the more precise parts of his game. Like 90% of guys. I have a hard time believing he’ll ever get more than 5-6 sacks a year but that’s not why you pay him. You pay him so other guys get free to get 15 sacks and keep your LBs clean. And if he does that, then he’s worth his draft status. I don’t think anyone’s saying he’s going to be some pass rush freak, not me anyway. But he should get more than 13 games or whatever to see if he can’t. 1st rounders get to prove they can’t. Everyone else gets to prove the can. 

21 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

You pay him so other guys get free to get 15 sacks and keep your LBs clean. And if he does that, then he’s worth his draft status

I don't agree with that, because I think you can find that guy in round 2 or even 3, like the Ravens did last year with Travis Jones. Round 1 is for pass rushers and pass coverage on D, not run defenders. Passing league, not rushing league. That's why we don't give a crap if Miles Sanders leaves. Good RB's are a dime a dozen. So are run stopping, block occupying NT's. The only difference right now between Jordan Davis and the dime a dozens is his 40 and 3 cone times.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I don't agree with that, because I think you can find that guy in round 2 or even 3, like the Ravens did last year with Travis Jones. Round 1 is for pass rushers and pass coverage on D, not run defenders. Passing league, not rushing league. That's why we don't give a crap if Miles Sanders leaves. Good RB's are a dime a dozen. So are run stopping, block occupying NT's.

Sounds like a Gervon Dexter or a Siaki Ika. Both you could probably get in the 2nd round.

9 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Sounds like a Gervon Dexter or a Siaki Ika. Both you could probably get in the 2nd round.

Mazi Smith in the 2nd, Keondre Coburn in the....5th? PJ Mustipher in the later rounds. And all of them will have the same task as Jordan Davis: Stop the run and take on 2 blockers with a bull rush. And at least 2 of them will do that task 90% as well as Jordan Davis despite going nowhere near pick 13.

What none of them are going to do is rush the passer very well, no matter how crazy Ika or Mazi Smiths combines are. Pretty sure both are on the Freak list. One thing they will all do- rotate frequently. They're all really fat. Jordan Davis is not built like Mailata.

Edited by Jeezla

20 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I don't agree with that, because I think you can find that guy in round 2 or even 3, like the Ravens did last year with Travis Jones. Round 1 is for pass rushers and pass coverage on D, not run defenders. Passing league, not rushing league. That's why we don't give a crap if Miles Sanders leaves. Good RB's are a dime a dozen. So are run stopping, block occupying NT's. The only difference right now between Jordan Davis and the dime a dozens is his 40 and 3 cone times.

Sure that’s what he is now. Give him time is what I and others are saying. I get your point because I reserve 1st rounders for high impact players at premium positions too but there’s nothing to say he can’t become that. Not yet anyway.