The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

Some possible good news regarding next season though. FA and draft hasnt happened yet obviously but as it stands right now.... 2 road games @Rams and @Tampa look like they could be very winnable games considering both of those teams might be in a fire sale. 

5 hours ago, downundermike said:

My main issue is not reducing that dead cap number the last couple of years.

That is why you have to sign a Bradberry to a 1 year deal with void money the following year, instead of doing a 2 year deal, so you are actually getting a player on the field for that cap hit in year 2.

Then you trade draft capital for a guy like CJGJ, but because of the continued and rising dead cap, you can not re sign him, so you are getting 1 year rental for two draft picks.

Eagles already have 54 million in dead cap this year, 22 million more than any other team.   There is more potential dead money depending on the unknowns in the Kelce, Graham and Cox contracts.  I read something last week that we could be north of 65 million dead at the start of the league year.

I am not saying you can't have dead cap, but imagine if we were 27th in dead cap instead of 32nd, we would have another 35 million in cap room.  If we only had half of the dead cap we currently have, we would still rank 30th in dead cap.

But, then we wouldn't have had some of the players we have had. Creating dead cap has allowed these opportunities. 

And,  it's an endless well to dip in to because cap keeps increasing and years keep coming. 

As long as Howie has a target/ limit in mind that he won't go over in each future year,  which I'm sure he does. Until the nukes start flying,  there are always future years to borrow from at a discount.