Nacho Simulation Football League (Season 25 - Taco Bowl XXV Posted!)

TheKillerNacho

Just now, Scoundrel said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Congrats @TL-TwoWinsAway great season and team put together by you 

You're a legend, man... built a team from the ground up, weathered the early storm of rookie development and found yourself in the Taco Bowl only three seasons later. That team still hasn't reached its peak.

I'm a sucker for a good storyline, so I was kinda hoping you'd pull it off in the end. I look forward to pulling for you guys in the S26 Taco Bowl with the Waste Walruses watching from home.

• Like 1

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

You're a legend, man... built a team from the ground up, weathered the early storm of rookie development and found yourself in the Taco Bowl only three seasons later. That team still hasn't reached its peak.

I'm a sucker for a good storyline, so I was kinda hoping you'd pull it off in the end. I look forward to pulling for you guys in the S26 Taco Bowl with the Waste Walruses watching from home.

Now the wall art means more on your wall! Happy to have called you a Waste Walrus and now here we are!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

This is the ultimate proof that coaches don't matter.....

First of all, put some respect on Taco Bowl Champion Jeff Fisher's name.

Really, I sort of disagree that they don't matter, but how we generally view their effectiveness isn't accurate, in my opinion.

A few seasons ago (or maybe it was last season), I suggested that coaches in the sim functioned similarly to how they did in past Madden games: it's less about their coaching success and more about the benefits they provide to specific skill groups. If you want your QB to get a slight attribute bump, hire a coach that specializes in QBs. Same with the other positions: a defensive-minded coach will give a bump to a specific skill group on defense, etc. It's why there are coaches available that are no longer actively coaching in the NFL. (Edit: I believe they also affect play-calling tendencies, so that's also important.)

It's not to say that their coaching success is completely irrelevant (it probably holds some significance), but the positional benefit they provide is probably more important.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

The NSFL Owner Hall of Fame & History page has been updated.

Also here's the finalized Season 26 draft order:

Spoiler
  1. Lake Minnewanka Ice Orcas (2-14)
  2. Hamilton Hornets (3-13)
  3. Richmond Flying Squirrels (4-12)
  4. Lancaster Fighting Amish (5-11)
  5. Egypt Starfalls (6-10)
  6. Burlington Sock Puppets (6-9-1)
  7. Tokyo Samurai (7-9)
  8. Freiburg Venom (7-8-1)
  9. Bowling Green Bighorns (8-8)
  10. Scranton Papermakers (8-8)
  11. Hanoi Viet Kongs (9-7)
  12. Indianapolis Predators (9-6-1)
  13. Little Rock Uni Royals (9-7)
  14. Greenland Polar Bears (10-6)
  15. Reykjavík Direwolves (10-6)
  16. Phoenix Rubber Ducks (11-5)
  17. New Zealand Blobfish (11-5)
  18. Rio de Janeiro Pirates (11-4-1)
  19. Anchorage Amphibians (10-6)
  20. Wattsville Waste Walruses (12-4)

• Like 2

On 5/15/2023 at 11:55 PM, ravens5520 said:

Curious to hear that 

To follow-up with this (a comment I made about testing something pertaining to late-game collapses): I became convinced that the "rubberbanding" wasn't really "rubberbanding", but was a reflect of fatigue and conservative play-calling tendencies that the sim deploys with a late lead. In other words: most teams have one good RB. If you're set to give that RB the majority of the carries, they fatigue late in games, resulting in diminishing effectiveness. If you opt to even the carry split, your less-effective RB2 will do less with them. As a result, you see those largely ineffective short runs that result in punts, giving the opponent a chance to close the gap. 

I spent the later parts of the season running a 50/50 split with Jones and Ekeler, and it seemed like we were able to run the ball more effectively late in games to close them out.

TL/DR: if you only have one effective RB, and have a late lead, the sim will run the ball, and those runs will be less effective, leading to frequent punts and more opportunities for your opponent's offense.