Change My View: It would be impossible for the Falcons to overpay to acquire Lamar Jackson

wackywabbit

38 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Falcons were okay last season with Mariota providing some of the worst QB play in the league. Their offense is already suited to fit his strengths and they have a decent group of weapons with Allgeier, London, and Pitts. The NFC South is currently wide open and I'd imagine that the Falcons would be the favorite to win it heading into next season if they somehow acquired Lamar.

They could be the favorites in the NFC South with Desmond Ridder too. Just build the roster out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You guys just offered the Texans 3 FRPs + more for Deshaun Watson last offseason though. 

Watson has a personal relationship with Arthur Blank. That had a big thing to do with it. But they were never going to do that contract. And that contract is why they won’t touch Lamar. Period. They don’t have the same view of Lamar that they had of Watson (which I think makes no sense.) but don’t be surprised if the only move the Falcons make at QB this off-season is a competition/backup move like Trubisky. 

3 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Watson has a personal relationship with Arthur Blank. That had a big thing to do with it. But they were never going to do that contract. And that contract is why they won’t touch Lamar. Period. They don’t have the same view of Lamar that they had of Watson (which I think makes no sense.) but don’t be surprised if the only move the Falcons make at QB this off-season is a competition/backup move like Trubisky. 

The Falcons were ready to give up a massive package for a franchise QB last year, if Lamar becomes available I think you'll definitely be in the conversation. 

Smith/Fontenot came in together and have had two straight losing seasons, year three is usually when you're expected to produce results. I can't imagine there are too many coaches / GM's that started their tenure with 3 straight losing years and went on to see year 4.

Edited by NYRaider

Just now, NYRaider said:

The Falcons were ready to give up a massive package for a franchise QB last year, if Lamar becomes available I think you'll definitely be in the conversation. 

Except they won’t be. Because they won’t pay that contract. This is what you’re missing. 

None of the Lamar Jackson to Atlanta speculation is coming from the Atlanta camp. It’s all speculation about Lamar. Lamar’s camp is him and his mom. So there’s no leaks there either. It’s literally all speculation here. Trying to fit a round peg in a square hole and think it makes sense. When the money, the part that matters most, doesn’t make sense. 

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

Except they won’t be. Because they won’t pay that contract. This is what you’re missing. 

Your head coach and GM have had 2 losing seasons to start their tenure, if they have a 3rd one next year there's a decent chance they're both replaced.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Your head coach and GM have had 2 losing seasons to start their tenure, if they have a 3rd one next year there's a decent chance they're both replaced.

Listen, I get you know nothing about the Falcons, but this point has nothing to do with the fact those guys are who is running the show this year.

You’re arguing a straw man. You’re also completely out of the loop on this and instead of listening to someone who actually follows the team, you’re acting like you know everything about every team. You don’t. 

Arthur Blank was actually pleased with the results from the last two years because of the cap situation and was using these two years to see what they could do when cap strapped. They went 7-10 with teams that should have gone 4-13 or worse. They are building something here. 

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

Listen, I get you know nothing about the Falcons, but this point has nothing to do with the fact those guys are who is running the show this year.

You’re arguing a straw man. You’re also completely out of the loop on this and instead of listening to someone who actually follows the team, you’re acting like you know everything about every team. You don’t. 

Arthur Blank was actually pleased with the results from the last two years because of the cap situation and was using these two years to see what they could do when cap strapped. They went 7-10 with teams that should have gone 4-13 or worse. They are building something here. 

I also remember you arguing with me about the Falcons not moving on from Matt Ryan last offseason. I'm not acting like I know everything, I'm just stating the obvious, three consecutive losing seasons to start your tenure typically gets coaches/GMs fired. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

I also remember you arguing with me about the Falcons not moving on from Matt Ryan last offseason. I'm not acting like I know everything, I'm just stating the obvious, three consecutive losing seasons to start your tenure typically gets coaches/GMs fired. 

The Falcons weren’t going to move on from Ryan until Watson contacted blank and then they pissed off Ryan into asking for a trade. So again, you’re wrong here. Actually listen. You might learn something. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What if Lamar calls him too?

Lamar wasn’t a Falcons ball boy. His mom and family didn’t get a house from Warrick Dunn. He doesn’t have a personal relationship with the falcons organizations top guy. 

Watson did. Again, this isn’t the same situation. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, scar988 said:

None of the Lamar Jackson to Atlanta speculation is coming from the Atlanta camp. It’s all speculation about Lamar. Lamar’s camp is him and his mom. So there’s no leaks there either. It’s literally all speculation here. Trying to fit a round peg in a square hole and think it makes sense. When the money, the part that matters most, doesn’t make sense. 

Usually, round pegs will fit into square holes, just not very snugly.