Change My View: It would be impossible for the Falcons to overpay to acquire Lamar Jackson

wackywabbit

The Falcons aren't a Lamar Jackson away from the playoffs the way the roster is currently constructed. They need a lot of help or they'll be featuring the 32nd ranked defense for the next 5 years with Lamar. That $60M/year guaranteed contract is also way more than what Lamar is worth. He's not a $360M/6 years guy. He's a $300M over 7 years kind of guy. He's a guy you build around, for sure. But he's not someone who can take up over 25% of your cap in any given year and still be worth it. The cap would have to be well over $350M for that contract to make any sort of sense. And Atlanta has way too many needs to spend that on a QB. And honestly, I'd rather see the team stick with Ridder and see what he has this year and if they can win with him while they build the team around him.

Also, Baltimore isn't going to trade Lamar so this is moot. Baltimore is just going to re-sign him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeezla said:

The main reason not to do that trade is because Lamar Jackson is ugly as hell. The chance of any team winning a ring with a QB that ugly is less than 3%, no matter how stacked the rest of the roster is. That goes down to .001% if Lamar goes to the raiders and combines ugly faces with Mark Davis. Atlanta should go after Jimmy G, and nobody should go after Lamar unless they need a RB, because you can get away with an ugly RB. I'm not saying Lamar has been a RB, I'm saying his ugly butt needs to become one if he wants to wear SB rings. 

Jimmy G would be worse than just rolling out Ridder and seeing what the kid has with a full offseason and TC working with the ones. He was improving every game during his 4 game starting stretch. would love to see what he would look like with more time.

8 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Adding any competent QB probably makes them the clear favorite. The NFCS sucks! Not 1 team has a real QB.

Better off selling the farm to move up to draft Young or Stroud and use that absurd amount of money saved on FA.

I think Ridder is the best QB under contract in the south right now. (Obvious cap casualties Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Sam Darnold not included here)

From the perspective of someone who's actually watched the Falcons this year since it's obvious that a lot of you haven't, anything over 2 first round picks would be an overpay for Lamar Jackson. Especially with his injury history. He also doesn't really fit the culture of the team here if he's sitting out games because of a contract dispute. The Falcons need a hell of a lot more on both sides of the ball. Jackson would be nice, but he's not 6 first round picks worth, nice. He's Franchise tag reimbursement nice. The Falcons need to completely build out their defense for once. And they need more depth at WR, OL and TE.

Edited by scar988

I am a huge fan of trading picks for good players because I agree 100% with the premise that picks are such an unknown it's stupid to overvalue them. 

The Rams have had a lot of success with this from basically day one with McVay. The Eagles did well last year trading for Brown.

But let's talk about the Broncos, who supposedly had a good roster - the reality is they did not, and now we look to the Falcons.

The Rams and Eagles both had fantastic cores. The Broncos (and Falcons) do not. If I were Atlanta I would offer less than what Denver offered for Russ because that would absolutely be their future.

21 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Cleveland Browns who hoarded a historically abnormal amount of both draft picks and cap space achieved through years of being legendarily pathetic year after year and trading back for future assets accepting more and more years of being utterly embarrassing for even more draft capital. Through all of that, they they achieved their franchise peak during a season in 2020 when they finished 3rd in the AFC North and after a step back the following year

They only did that under Sashi. 2016-2018. The years before that were failure under a different strategy. Sashi's idea actually brought a lot of talent and respectability to the franchise.

As far as Lamar, he hasn't won anything so he isn't worth a guarantee of nothing. He is mediocre over the last two years and his fans don't even want him that much. I don't think he is worth anything close to all those picks. 1st and a 3rd is probably best case scenario after he signs his franchise tag, is traded and gets his "free agent" contract with another team.

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Watson had significantly more baggage and they were willing to give up what the Texans wanted. With Brady gone adding Lamar would make the Falcons the clear favorite in the division.

The main difference  is Arthur Blank had a personal  relationship with Watson since he was a ball boy and I believe Warrick Dunn got his mother a house whe he was on th Falcons through his charity. Watson also called Blank personally last year cause he wanted to go to ATL and Blank pushed to try to get the deal done. And even with that he wasn't willing to do a fully guaranteed contract. He has even been on record indicating its time to build a team bot just put everything on a QB again. Now I'm not saying 100% he wo t get tempted because Lamar will put butts  in seats because people have been dying for the next Micha Vick in ATlanta but I think it's highly unlikely. 

So you make fun of the browns hoarding a bunch of draft picks and then suggest some team gives up an unprecedented amount of draft choices to your team so that your team can hoard draft picks? If Lamar Jackson is worth even half of what you’re suggesting then why would the ravens trade him in the first place?

19 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So you make fun of the browns hoarding a bunch of draft picks and then suggest some team gives up an unprecedented amount of draft choices to your team so that your team can hoard draft picks? If Lamar Jackson is worth even half of what you’re suggesting then why would the ravens trade him in the first place?

They won't