Post Superbowl, Get the Browns there next year Mock

DaWg_LB.

46 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

so I said this about Landry and I’ll be consistent, I’m not impressed by volume catches for short gains.  That’s not necessarily an indication a guy’s a good receiver as much as he is a guy who gets a lot of relatively easy opportunities.  Give me a dude who wins 1:2 coverage vs top shelf corners, makes plays in the red zone and makes plays when everyone knows the ball is coming his way.

will-ferrell-anchorman.gif

• Like 1

JJ3's contract breaks down this way.

His 2023 cap number is $13.5 M. If he plays the entire 2023 season as a Brown, he counts for $13.5M against the cap.

If he is cut/released prior to June 1st - any bonus money not yet paid to him becomes "dead money" and it accelerates all into FY2023. That makes his dead money hit against the cap $12.6M - only saving $900K.

But, if he is released post June 1st - you are allowed to spread the dead money over more years. That makes JJ3's cap hit just $3.75M  a cap savings of $9.75M.

No way JJ has a locker here on 6/2/23.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns

8 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

JJ3's contract breaks down this way.

His 2023 cap number is $13.5 M. If he plays the entire 2023 season as a Brown, he counts for $13.5M against the cap.

If he is cut/released prior to June 1st - any bonus money not yet paid to him becomes "dead money" and it accelerates all into FY2023. That makes his dead money hit against the cap $12.6M - only saving $900K.

But, if he is released post June 1st - you are allowed to spread the dead money over more years. That makes JJ3's cap hit just $3.75M  a cap savings of $9.75M.

No way JJ has a locker here on 6/2/23.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns

But then we have to Count/pay that 9.75M in 2024 or am I misunderstanding that....it saves us money for next season, but only 900k overall right? Or am I wrong there?

No the $9.75M is actual savings. Once released, all the money a player is still owed converts to dead money and counts against the cap. That is why the June 1 st date is key.. A release prior to that date - all the dead money counts against that year's cap.

The team is not paying any less - but it can affect how much they have left to spend that year. A post June 1st release means that same amount of money is still owed/paid to that player - but that money can now be spread over multiple cap years.

Aka Salary Cap Gymnastics.

I guess my question about John Johnson's contract is this:

What does cutting him after June 1st really do? It gives us cap space, but by June 1st, what advantage does that give us? Free Agency will be all but wrapped up at that point & the draft picks will be signed & ready to go. I don't think he's a very good player, but I also feel like he's still a starter in the league. He's a crazy overpaid starter and a terrible fit in our defense, but if it doesn't benefit us to cut him, I'd rather not.

We save $$$ from June-January, but money isn't really spent during that time, is the point I guess I'm getting at. We need that $$$ in March/April.

Edited by BetterCallSaul
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 8:06 AM, DaWg_LB. said:

Greedy Williams: After getting healthy finally, I think he is a very solid CB and we need Inj. Depth.

I put him in the same category as Winfrey, he would either flourish under Schwartz or wont be around (though he is a FA)

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

I’d like to see us get a guy like Rakim Jarrett in the third or fourth round. I think his size and numbers from the past season might slip him down lower then imo he should go. But he is really skilled and good after the catch. We could use a guy that can turn a 15 yard play into 50. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I’d like to see us get a guy like Rakim Jarrett in the third or fourth round. I think his size and numbers from the past season might slip him down lower then imo he should go. But he is really skilled and good after the catch. We could use a guy that can turn a 15 yard play into 50. 

Funny you said that....I had insomnia last night and decided to redo my draft...and Rakim Jarret is my Alternate pick at WR...in the 5th, and then that pushes a different SAF prospect for me....but this is what I would up....I did something that may not be popular....I took a TE in the 2nd for a few reasons....1. Stefanski is going to call plays, and while we do have Deshaun Watson, we should not be throwing the ball 40 times a game, while Nick Chubb Draw's Breath. 2. NJoku has missed time over the last couple of years....and a 3 TE set with NJoku, Washington and Harrison Bryant....you got 2 TE's who Block like OT's and a 3rd who blocks WELL for a TE...and you could flex Bryant or Njoku out Wide....running Chubb in that 3 TE set would be like have 2 Extra OT's and Blocking TE....I see to much Value there...

NFL Draft:

2nd  Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia
Height: 6-7. Weight: 272

3rd Keion White, DE, Georgia Tech
Height: 6-5. Weight: 286

4th Keeanu Benton, NT/DT, Wisconsin
Height: 6-3. Weight: 317

4th Nathaniel “Tank” Dell, SWR/PR/KR, Houston
Height: 5-10. Weight: 168

5th Calab Murphy, DE/OLB/DPR, Ferris St.
Height: 6-4. Weight: 245.

5th Rashad Torrence, S, Florida
Height: 6-0. Weight: 205

6thB.J. Thompson, DE/OLB/DPR, SF.Austin/Baylor
Height: 6-6. Weight: 238

7th Quinton Barrow, OT, Grand Valley State
Height: 6-6. Weight: 331

UDFA:

Sevyn Banks, CB, LSU/OSU
Height: 6-1. Weight: 197

Tyson Bagnet, QB, Shepherd
Height: 6-3. Weight: 215

Javon Williams, FB, Southern Illinois
Height: 6-2. Weight: 245

Isaiah Land, DE/OLB, Florida A&M
Height: 6-4. Weight: 225.

Offense

QB: Waton/Mond/Bagnet

RB: Chubb/Ford/Felton

FB: Williams

TE: Njoku/Washington/Bryant

WR: Cooper/Isiah Weston

LT: Wills/Hudson/Barrow

OG: Bintonio/Forbes

😄 Harris/Deaton

OG: Teller/Frodholdt

RT: Conklin/Hudson/Barrow

WR: DPJ/Woods II

Slot: Bell/Dell/Schwartz

Defense

DE: Garret/Thomas/Thompson (OLB/DE/DPR)

DT: Ionidis/Benton

DT: Winfrey/Elliot

DE: Wright/White/ Thompson (OLB/DE/DPR)

WOLB: JOK/Fields II

MLB: Taki Taki/Ragland/Walker Jr.

SOLB: Walker Jr./Murphy (OLB/DPR)/Thompson (OLB/DE/DPR)

CB: Ward/Williams/Banks

FS: Delpit/A.J. Green (I also really like Bubba Bolden on the PS)

SS: Johnson III/Torrence

CB: Newsom Jr./Emerson jr/Banks

K: York

P: Bojarquez

LS: Huglet

KR: Dell/Ford

PR:Dell/DJP

Please Brothers have at it.....I REALLY like this draft and dont see doing another one till Combine....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Funny you said that....I had insomnia last night and decided to redo my draft...and Rakim Jarret is my Alternate pick at WR...in the 5th, and then that pushes a different SAF prospect for me....but this is what I would up....I did something that may not be popular....I took a TE in the 2nd for a few reasons....1. Stefanski is going to call plays, and while we do have Deshaun Watson, we should not be throwing the ball 40 times a game, while Nick Chubb Draw's Breath. 2. NJoku has missed time over the last couple of years....and a 3 TE set with NJoku, Washington and Harrison Bryant....you got 2 TE's who Block like OT's and a 3rd who blocks WELL for a TE...and you could flex Bryant or Njoku out Wide....running Chubb in that 3 TE set would be like have 2 Extra OT's and Blocking TE....I see to much Value there...

NFL Draft:

UDFA:

Sevyn Banks, CB, LSU/OSU

Offense

QB: Waton/Mond/Bagnet

RB: Chubb/Ford/Felton

FB: Williams

TE: Njoku/Washington/Bryant

WR: Cooper/Isiah Weston

LT: Wills/Hudson/Barrow

OG: Bintonio/Forbes

😄 Harris/Deaton

OG: Teller/Frodholdt

RT: Conklin/Hudson/Barrow

WR: DPJ/Woods II

Slot: Bell/Dell/Schwartz

Defense

DE: Garret/Thomas/Thompson (OLB/DE/DPR)

DT: Ionidis/Benton

DT: Winfrey/Elliot

DE: Wright/White/ Thompson (OLB/DE/DPR)

WOLB: JOK/Fields II

MLB: Taki Taki/Ragland/Walker Jr.

SOLB: Walker Jr./Murphy (OLB/DPR)/Thompson (OLB/DE/DPR)

CB: Ward/Williams/Banks

FS: Delpit/A.J. Green (I also really like Bubba Bolden on the PS)

SS: Johnson III/Torrence

CB: Newsom Jr./Emerson jr/Banks

K: York

P: Bojarquez

LS: Huglet

KR: Dell/Ford

PR:Dell/DJP

Please Brothers have at it.....I REALLY like this draft and dont see doing another one till Combine....

I would absolute explode everywhere if Tank Dell lasted until the 4th, but after his senior bowl practice week and what I believe will be a outstanding combine he will shoot up boards,  Also idk what it is but I just keep getting Leonard Pope vibes from Darnell Washington. Love Benton in the 4th

^^^

We don’t need another TE early. For better or for WORSE, because of who is at QB, we’re gonna be moving towards more spread with less in-line TEs. Which I don’t like, but makes sense for Watson, who has only really ever been a wide open spread operator.

And why is everyone obsessed with Tank Dell? I feel like he’s a 5th round pick. Insanely light for a WR and unlike Calvin Austin last year, he doesn’t have great vertical speed. He’s a slot-only dude with elite short area quicks and good hands, but will get absolutely abused in press…and lacks the crazy vertical speed to deter those presses from coming. Not a Dell fan, but I’m gonna watch more in the hopes the tape can sway me. I hate this WR class. 

14 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

a love the player and the fit with our roster, but don’t think he makes it to our pick.  A second TE is a luxury at this spot we simply can’t afford imo.

If the reports of his physical ability and what he’s gonna do at the combine turn out to be correct, he’s not gonna make it to our first pick, let alone this pick.

I have no clue how so many people project this guy in R4, but that seems to be the common consensus.  I think he’s a home run there, would sprint to the podium.

No Way Do Not Want GIF

Enough undersized try hards, I want some thoroughbreds at the position.  6’2+, 200+ with speed and strength.  

No clue about any of these guys, but I like the theme.

UDFA:

Sevyn Banks, CB, LSU/OSU

Talented kid, I like taking the home run swing on him.  If you whiff, oh well.

Same as above, no clue about these duds but I like what you’re doing positionally.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 7:29 AM, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I would absolute explode everywhere if Tank Dell lasted until the 4th, but after his senior bowl practice week and what I believe will be a outstanding combine he will shoot up boards,  Also idk what it is but I just keep getting Leonard Pope vibes from Darnell Washington. Love Benton in the 4th

I feel you....with tank Dell, Someone that undersized will be a day 3 pick IMO.

Some feel its a Leonard Pope Vibe from Washington....some get a vibe of a Brother Version of Gronkowski.....I like that he's a 2 way player, he's the best Blocker in the draft and he not only helps in the Pass Game and RUN game... 

On 2/19/2023 at 7:41 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

^^^

We don’t need another TE early. For better or for WORSE, because of who is at QB, we’re gonna be moving towards more spread with less in-line TEs. Which I don’t like, but makes sense for Watson, who has only really ever been a wide open spread operator.

And why is everyone obsessed with Tank Dell? I feel like he’s a 5th round pick. Insanely light for a WR and unlike Calvin Austin last year, he doesn’t have great vertical speed. He’s a slot-only dude with elite short area quicks and good hands, but will get absolutely abused in press…and lacks the crazy vertical speed to deter those presses from coming. Not a Dell fan, but I’m gonna watch more in the hopes the tape can sway me. I hate this WR class. 

With the pick, its about Value/BPA meeting need a that point and I would rather have the 2nd best TE in the draft vs, the 5th best DT (who's not a run stuffer), or the 3rd/4th best safety. Without a first round pick, we almost have to go with BPA....like I posed last week....if Bijan Robinson was on the Board when we picked, I would take him....and run him behind Chubb....I get excited thinking about Cooper Split wide, and Njoku, Bryant and Darnell Washington in a 3TE set...with Chubb in the backfield...thats a LOT to defend...if you stack the Box, Njoku and Bryant can both flex wide....if you put extra DB's on the field...audible to a run WITH that group of blockers and Chubb....touchdown....

I see having that 2nd TE....with the Offense Stefanski wants to run.....two TE's, Running game sets up the passing game....etc. I think going think we are going to change the entire offense to Watson, I do think there will be adjustments....but as long as Chubb draws breath were not going to be a run and shoot team. I dont like the idea of asking a Former Coach of the year to change his ENTIRE offense to fit a QB....the way I think about Watson at QB, is he's the type of QB that is supposed to be able to function in any System....not making that system completely about him...For instance...Pat Maholms goes to ANY team in the NFL, ANY offense...and they dont change it..they would be a SB contender STILL.

What makes you think Stefanski is going to go to a Spread Offense? An offense he's never played, or coached in?

Oh and its not an obsession with Dell, I like him as a prospect and he adds value in the KR and PR game.....that's why I have him going on day 3...I was actually going to pick him in the 5th or 6th....but folks in here love him so much, I didnt feel like fighting that battle...and I''ve seen him projected as a 5th round pick...and Some sites I LIKE to use have him rated as a late 2nd?!?? so I compromised with a 4th.

On 2/19/2023 at 8:25 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

a love the player and the fit with our roster, but don’t think he makes it to our pick.  A second TE is a luxury at this spot we simply can’t afford imo.

I feel you here...the draft I think going with BPA is a huge thing when we dont have High Picks....I want to give Stefanski the tools he wants to run the offense HE wants to run...and I think a 2nd TE goes a long way....they got Irv Smith Jr, while Kyle Rudolph was the guy...so there is a President

If the reports of his physical ability and what he’s gonna do at the combine turn out to be correct, he’s not gonna make it to our first pick, let alone this pick.

I agree with this...but right now a lot of sites have him rated as late 2nd/3rd round pick....this is my personal pick also....he want to another school first and I think he's going to be 23 or 24 years old, which is putting him outta our age range.

I have no clue how so many people project this guy in R4, but that seems to be the common consensus.  I think he’s a home run there, would sprint to the podium.

No Way Do Not Want GIF

Enough undersized try hards, I want some thoroughbreds at the position.  6’2+, 200+ with speed and strength.  

I feel this...but with DPJ, Woods II and Isiah Weston...we dont have any functional small guys really.....and David Bell is not small (6'1 212). So a Slot Machine that has run back K's and P's for TD's, its using a day 3 on a slot that can return kicks.....

No clue about any of these guys, but I like the theme.

Talented kid, I like taking the home run swing on him.  If you whiff, oh well.

Same as above, no clue about these duds but I like what you’re doing positionally.

Thank you My Brother.....I am looking at the positions that we need and plugging in good Prospects there...or trying too...

• Like 1